Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Story of Your Season & Career - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/55050/t1692811-story-of-your-season-career/

Author:   Suicide Messiah
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 6:53pm (PST)
Subject:   Story of Your Season & Career
-------------------------------------------

Quite a popular addition to the FM2011 forum, I've seen a few people ask about the possibility of a thread for this year's edition of the game, so decided to put one up. Basically, for those who aren't familiar, the thread is a chance to portray your season through seasonal reports, rather than creating a SOMS, whilst creating discussion between fellow members on how their FM career is going. Check out last years thread for enlightenment if you wish, good few examples in that thread.

I'll throw up one fairly soon for my Shrewsbury career, until then, the floor is all yours. :>!

Author:   Drachbo
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 7:07pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Story of Your Season & Career
Good to see this thread back up. Looking forward to seeing people's careers, as well as the possibility to describe my own progress.

Author:   Pro King
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 7:13pm (PST)
Yay!

I've always liked reading about other people's careers. May even add my own in if this is as active as it was last year!

Author:   TheOriginal
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 7:28pm (PST)
Just started up a Newcastle one, will post my pre-season and transfers her soon

Author:   coxinator
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 7:38pm (PST)

Loved this last year, especially ready Tweety Pie's progress with Liverpool.

Expecting some good ones this year!

Author:   ciaranod7
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 7:40pm (PST)
I'm following NTM's example and documenting my second on YT. It's a long process but rewarding. I know I'm not gonna gain the same recognition but it's a pretty fun process.

Right now, I'm unbeaten in the league and in the Europa League with Celtic. Got thrown against two pretty tough teams...sounds familiar. I remember living through this and not really enjoying it this year!

Date:   Oct 30, 11 at 2:08pm (PST)
Good luck with that, ciaranod7.

I'll throw an end of season report up when I reach that time with my game as Shrewsbury. I'm only in December at the moment, but going strong. I was given a prediction of a mid-table finish, roughly around 11th, yet I'm over-achieving and currently occupy 1st place as I near towards the January transfer window. I'm in two minds though, going up would surely boost club finances and reputation, both which would be great, but my squad is still League 2 standard and I don't know how I would get on. If I was given decent funding in the summer window, maybe I could consolidate a position in League 1, but not with the current finances. Into the 3rd round of the FA Cup though, a nice little run in that would give a boost to the finances.

Author:   Modiga
Date:   Oct 30, 11 at 2:17pm (PST)
I shall definitely use the thread for my progress and started my big career game again, starting at LA If the thread gets popular again then will probably be stickied

Author:   seanburns92
Date:   Oct 30, 11 at 2:27pm (PST)
I hope Tweety Pie gets his up again, funny posts :')

Author:   ricky706
Date:   Oct 30, 11 at 4:24pm (PST)
Sounds good, always an interesting read and useful if your managing the same team as someone else so you can compare.

I'll post up my first season story as Southampton when I get home from work as it was a good season. Very enjoyable aswel do hopefully I'll be able to carry it on for a few seasons!

Author:   SaundersToon21
Date:   Oct 31, 11 at 11:03am (PST)
sounds good, il put up an end of season report at the end of 12/13 season with NUFC. i always enjoy reading about other peoples progress, so a thread to do it in without having to scroll through endless amounts of SOMS' is a great idea.

Author:   garthy1706
Date:   Oct 31, 11 at 8:32pm (PST)
With the new addition of the add remove leagues I thought I would start a journeyman career where I go globe trotting trying to win every league title possible.

I have started off as Sunday League Footballer and loaded all the UK and Ire leagues. The first job I have got is at Eastleigh. When I joined they were bottom of the Blue Sqaure South, but with a lot of perseverance and a few tactical tweaks I managed to guide them to 9th only a few point off promotion. This was also helped by Jamil Adam and Pablo Counago scoring a lot of goals. Unfortunately Pablo has now left as he wouldn't sign a new contract but I am still confident of getting promoted to the Blue Square Premier.

Author:   ricky706
Date:   Oct 31, 11 at 8:40pm (PST)
This is the first one I have attempted so here goes!...

SOUTHAMPTON STORY

I started off as the mighty Saints knowing they had a decent team and a decent budget in which to challenge for a play off place.

At the start of the season the board asked me to achieve a safe mid table finish with a budget of around £5 million pounds to help me achieve it. After a great season last year achieving promotion from League One spirits were high amongst the players and with some good additions to the team, fans were confident of a good season ahead.

A fair bit of money was spent strengthening what I felt were the weakest areas of the team. I planned on playing a 451 formation with 2 central midfielders and an attacking midfielder with 2 wingers.

A new goal keeper was a must with the current goalkeepers not being good enough in my opinion. Joe Lewis was bought in from Peterborough for £2.5 million after a glowing recommendation from my top scout.

Also, i bought in Jamie Mackie initially on loan to provide cover for the wings and also upfront. I signed him on a full transfer in January after he impressed in the first half of the season. Also arriving at the club was Glenn Loovens from Celtic, a solid if unspectacular defender who only cost me £180k and loan deals were struck for Eric Lichaj from A Villa, Shane Duffy and Jose Baxter from Everton and Andros Townsend from Spurs. Sandler Keller arrived on a free after being released from Neuchatal Xamas.

The season started well with wins in my first 7 league games and I was unbeaten in the first 9. A first round loss in the league cup away at Northampton ended any hopes of a cup run but I was looking it as a blessing in disguise as my main priority was the league.

My FA Cup run was ended at the first hurdle also. A tough away draw at Man Utd in the 3rd round led to a 4-0 thrashing in which I played a few reserve players as my first team were struggling after the usual cluster of games over the xmas period.

Things were going well in the league and i stayed top until late November when a poor run of form saw me drop to second behind Reading.

January transfer window came and Jamie Mackie was signed on a permanent deal for £1 million. A few loan deals were also struck for strikers Andy Keogh and Yaya Sanogo as Rickie Lambert had struggled for form and then got a long term injury. Centre half Damien Parques also arrived from FC Sochaux as cover for Fonte and Loovens. Sanogo got injured shortly after arriving for 4 months so he was promptly sent back to Man City without playing a game for me.

Wins home and away against rivals Portsmouth and Brighton saw me regain top spot around February. I maintained this posistion until the end of the season and I eventually claimed the title after a 2-0 win against Coventry at the beginning of April.

A good solid first season. The team didnt play outstanding but we scored enough to win games whilst remaining solid at the back. Jamie Mackie and Adam Lallana being the star performers. Promotion was on the cards all season after my fantastic start and im glad i was able to win the league aswel espesially since the boards aim was mid table.

The olympics came to London in the summer of 2012 and I was asked to manage the GB Under 23's team which I accepted.

I got put in a group with Iran, New Zealand and Brazil. First up was New Zealand. I ran out comfortable 6-0 winners with rooney bagging a hattrick. Brazil also beat Iran 6-0 so we were joint top after 1 game. Next up was Brazil. After taking a lead into the break through Rooney I was confident going into the second half. However Brazil pressed forward and scored 2 goals through Pato to win 2-1 and top the group. New Zealand and Iran drew 1-1 to all but end both countries hopes of qualifying. Last up was Iran. Again I ran out comfortable 6-0 winners with Rooney grabbing 4 goals to take his tally up to 8 for the tournament. Brazil beat New Zealand 7-0 to top the group.

In the last 8 I was fortunate to be paired up against Ghana. I was confident of progressing to the semis but was made to work for the result eventually winning 2-0 both goals coming in the second half. The last 4 saw the return of Brazil and a chance for revenge. It was a very close game with me again taking a 1-0 lead into the break this time through an unlikely source - right back Kyle Walker. The second half was much like the first with both sides pushing for a goal but neither managing to get it. The match ended 1-0 and Team GB had got a place in the final against Spain.

The final was good open game with both teams creating chances. Team GB took the lead through Gareth Bale half way through the first half and it was Bale again who double GB's lead in the second half. Spain hit back late on through Jose Maria to set up a nervy finale but GB hung on to win gold. Brazil beat Uruguay 3-0 to clinch bronze.

The second season started with the Southampton board asking the club to avoid relegation at all costs. The board gave me £12 million to spend on new recruits to help achieve this goal.

David Stockdale arrived from Fulham as back up to Joe Lewis. Southampton raided West Brom for Peter Whittingham, Billy Jones and Craig Dawson to add competition for places in defence and midfield. Celtic midfielder Scott Brown arrived on a free after letting his contract run down with the Scottish giants. Frazier Cambell arrived from Sunderland to boost the attacking options aswel as young prospect Carlos Fierro. Young midfielder Danny Drinkwater came from Man Utd on a free to add cover to the midfield. Kyle Naughton came from Tottenham after Eric Lichajs loan move wasnt made permanent. Arriving on loan was Daley Blind and Stijn Wuytens to help ease the burden on Morgan Schneiderlin.

First game of the season saw Bolton come to St Marys and after taking a very early lead Southampton hit back and won the game 3-2 to start their season off perfectly.

I will continue this when I have played more games. Enjoy reading!

Date:   Oct 31, 11 at 8:45pm (PST)
Nice update to get the ball rolling with this thread ricky706, very thorough and detailed. Good luck in your first season with Premiership football, some inspired signings there, they should prove good enough for the demands of the Prem. I'm at about March with my Shrewsbury game, so no update yet, but I will put one up at the end of the season, so far so good in terms of results.

Author:   seanburns92
Date:   Nov 01, 11 at 3:09am (PST)

Liverpool FC
2011/12

I usually start Football Manager with a Liverpool save, do a season, move to the Unemployment Challenge, before going for another challenge of my own. Last year it was Greenland, also had a shot with Eastleigh and done well. Year before it was Farsley. This year I'm thinking Boavista... anyway.... this time round I'm determined to get a proper Liverpool game going, dominate Europe, dominate the world, bring through some quality regens and see how it all goes. I'm going to try and keep my team as it is as much as possible, giving players chances as much as possible and build a young, successful team.

TRANSFERS & THE PLAN

The plan was restore ourselves as a top 4 outfit and do as well as possible in the FA Cup and League Cup with our reserves. To do so we had a whooping £2m and sticking with my young team idea, we signed Kadrii, Can and Pekalski. We also signed VoH and Muslimovic because my initial tactic was a 4-4-2/4-2-4 so those 2 would act as backup because we couldn't buy anyone. We changed to a 4-5-1 later on though because Carroll is potentially the biggest donkey since Heskey (yes he's in that category) and besides, Bellers, VoH and the Muslim were gone at the end of the season anyway.

In January we had already pre-agreed the signing of young winger Joel Valencia (possible brother of United man Antonio) from under the noses of Man City. The big deals though were the combined £30m for Lucas and Skrtel. Both had been first choice but I had planned on selling them, and with the money buying Afellay, Adam Johnson and Subotic but because we lack that European revenue we had been losing millions every month so I got £6m. Still, I was pleased with the business done. Barry was better than Lucas, arguably, so would do well on loan, Bassong was again arguably better than Skrts but with that young team idea Coates would now start. Zaha was just a really good potential signing, £6m over 4 years. We also completed the deadline day signing of Conor Clifford for nothing, our scouts had him a 2 and a half star potential.

We had also made a number of changes to the backroom staff, fully allocating our 12 scouts (no matter how many times I tried to get more) and 17 coaches. We had also got rid of MTK and Bray Wanderers as feeder clubs, contemplating Accrington as well. We also got Celtic as a new feeder club and later on in the season Anderlecht and Okayama FC. Quality, let the season commence.

LEAGUE CUP

We had a pretty simple opening to the League Cup in a home draw with Coventry. We dominated and were unlucky to only win 1-0, but the defeat to Fulham wasn't good enough defensively. Still, it was the competition I cared least about, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping to go a bit further.

FA CUP

We had drawn Barnsley at Anfield, sweet, sweet revenge. I'll never forgive Barnsley or Brian Howard for that so now it was my turn and we were 2-0 up in the first half with our kids. But an 85th minute equalizer forced a replay. Replay, Sterling crosses, Huertas headers, 1-0, 4th Round progress. I wanted a crappy team, Oxford or someone, another chance for the kids to roam free. We got Sunderland so it was our backup team. We lost 3-0 and it was all pretty humiliating, even the substitutes of Adam, Gerrard and Suarez couldn't turn it round. Anyway, some kids got a run our, a few debuts and Sterling, Huertas and Kadrii were off the mark for us.

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE

So we started the Premiership with pretty much the same team as IRL and a good start would go far in helping us achieve our top 4 goal. It seemed a pretty easy opening to the season but in all honesty we struggled, getting lucky in a few games. The win at Wigan proved to be the turning point (which was very nearly not a win, 93rd minute Lucas Leiva winner ) and we went on a brilliant unbeaten run, ruined on the matchweek 19 by a 92nd minute Tiote header >.<

That defeat also meant we entered 2012 in 5th not 4th. *bleep* you Alan Shearer! I had switched to a 4-5-1 which proved to be instrumental to our turnaround, unfortunately it meant our only goalscoring prowess came from Luis Suarez, who was on fire as a lone striker. I had fell out with Carroll and Bellamy in my head, Carroll on the game and VoH and Muslimovic weren't too happy with me.

The second half of the season we continued our fine form, only losing in early March, which was unfortunately not enough to keep me in the job. I was sacked but returned with the same name, just now I was an ex-Professional footballer. Obviously this didn't turn things around and as we entered the final hurdle we were just off our aim of top 4. However we got our act together and towards the end were in the midst of the most thrilling top 4 race ever. We beat United and Spurs which were our 2 biggest results of the season under the circumstances we got them, we just had to hope others dropped points.

They did. Spurs completely bottled it, Chelsea's downfall was a defeat to rivals Fulham, only Arsenal held strong when they had too. They beat United on the last day to deny us 3rd place. Still, we finished the season like champions so it was a brilliant way to end the season, all we needed now was consistency.

THE STARS

So who were the reason behind this sort of successful season? Well Gerrard proved to be influencial at times, but won't feature. Carroll was a donkey, Bellamy found his 1st for the club on the final day. Johnson was horrendous at times, yet played like Alves on others, but we start with our main man.

Suarez was the real reason we managed what we did. He missed 1 game all season, Swansea at the turn of the year through injury and managed 21 goals, the 3rd most in the Premier League. He had really taken to playing on his own and carried the team on many occasions. He did become a bit impotent during our bad streak in March but was soon firing away again. It was his hat-trick against Spurs which really gave us hope of top 4. This season he has had Carroll, Bellamy, VoH and Muslimovic behind him, next he'll have Pacheco, Zaha and Huertas as the youngsters begin to take hold. How we cope without him will be interesting.

OK, so he's a pretty obvious choice, but look at that record. 22 clean sheets, 27 conceded, you can't teach that kind of talent. He started the season a bit shaky but saved our asses on a number of occasions as well, will be 4th captain next season for his duties.

I wanted to finish on a bit of a suprise, but the biggest (quite literally) I could find was young Seb. He stepped in when we sold Skrtel and stepped up his game. Formed an amazing partnership with Agger towards the end and I look forward to seeing it take full shape next season.

NEXT SEASON

We already have a host of young lads coming in in the summer; The pre-arranged signing of Marco Bueno, Real Madrid whizzkid Jese, Besitkas' highly-rated attacking mid Muhammed Demirci, highly rated goalkeeper Maxym Koval and the bosmans of Mate Simao and Clement Grenier. The aim, title challenge. Now United have number 20 we're 2 behind and that number needs to come down. Younger lads will be blood into the team, so expect to see appearances from Suso, Wilson, Pacheco, Flanagan and Kadrii a lot more next season.

THE FUTURE

We got a few good youngsters through the academy, as well as our scouts finding 6 others. We had 2 "new Heskey's" ( ) and the next "Alan Smith" already, but our scouts had also unearthed the next Nobby Stiles. We also would be welcoming 4 Aussies in and a French lad. So many screenshots.

THE AUSSIE PATROL

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.