Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: The Board Room - page 5

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/55050/t1688027-board-room/5.htm

Author:   Tweety Pie
Date:   Oct 16, 11 at 9:30am (PST)
Subject:   re: The Board Room
-------------------------------------------
quote walnuts
quote CatchFire
quote walnuts
That's because most of them are shit.
'Most'. Not all. I think if you go check it out, there are some good starters. Kesh is at it again. I've got some good feedback.

quote Stu
Loads of people do stories at the start of the year, then it dies down as most of them have been done loads of times before and no one is interested in reading all the same players being signed every time.
Make something yourself then, and do it differently. Come up with an idea, something new and interesting and show people how it's done. Check out Kesh's. No one could say it's not original. I'm trying to spice mine up, and it's not really started yet. If you encourage people, they'll want to write. If you give them an incentive to work on a story (i.e. SOTW, SOTM), then you'll get originality.
Mate, I've been writing and reading SOMS before you were even born. I've been in there, and the quality is just not up to scratch. I miss Tweety Pie epics at Crewe Alexandria.
*Alexandra

So do I, but the whole forum has gone to pot

Author:   Ma_sk_i
Date:   Oct 16, 11 at 12:52pm (PST)
Tweety Pies stories were pretty shit as well tbf.

There's too many pseudo-intellectual stories about nothing relating to the game. Give me some imperialcereal Scottish lower division stories any day of the week.

Author:   imperialcereal
Date:   Oct 16, 11 at 2:25pm (PST)
Bit biased here, but I'd agree that too many people are trying to be some sort of faux author/psychologist with their SOMS and it just ends up being a massive shitfest.

Up the Forres.

Author:   Kesh
Date:   Oct 16, 11 at 6:49pm (PST)
It's because honestly no one gives a shit about peoples stories anymore. They used to be new and exciting and that's why the forum was popular but there's only so many you can read.

Truthfully I don't really care for Football manager stories and only really exploit the forum cos I get bored and want to write something and it's only really the only place I can put it.

Author:   DanielT
Date:   Oct 16, 11 at 6:58pm (PST)
never put stories in any other forum other than the stories forum

Date:   Oct 16, 11 at 8:47pm (PST)
quote Kesh
It's because honestly no one gives a shit about peoples stories anymore. They used to be new and exciting and that's why the forum was popular but there's only so many you can read.

Truthfully I don't really care for Football manager stories and only really exploit the forum cos I get bored and want to write something and it's only really the only place I can put it.
There's a writing forum somewhere on here, the people there will be better to critique your work and tell you how to improve your writing instead of the 'i like this kiu' comments you'd get here.

Date:   Oct 16, 11 at 9:28pm (PST)
Ah so there is, the writers lounge yeah? Having a quick look it's pretty much the same kind of replies but might be worth a go.

Author:   CatchFire
Date:   Oct 17, 11 at 12:17am (PST)
quote imperialcereal
Bit biased here, but I'd agree that too many people are trying to be some sort of faux author/psychologist with their SOMS and it just ends up being a massive shitfest.
It has to be that way though, it's developed from the standard "this is my game, these are my results" updates, or John Rush's cheap-ass "live updates" about anything and everything that happened, so he amassed a whopping 50+ story pages just by hitting Print Screen for a few seasons. People try to write things that are engaging/funny/opinionated/thoughtful, and not related too much to the game, which can become dull after a few seasons. Often, it fails. Sometimes though, it doesn't, and you will find that every year, someone makes a brilliant story, yet it will be branded as 'a massive shitfest' by people who's opinions will never change, despite whatever quality they see. If there was enthusiasm for the story forum, it would improve.

Author:   imperialcereal
Date:   Oct 17, 11 at 1:51am (PST)
quote CatchFire
quote imperialcereal
It has to be that way though, it's developed from the standard "this is my game, these are my results" updates, or John Rush's cheap-ass "live updates" about anything and everything that happened, so he amassed a whopping 50+ story pages just by hitting Print Screen for a few seasons. People try to write things that are engaging/funny/opinionated/thoughtful, and not related too much to the game, which can become dull after a few seasons. Often, it fails. Sometimes though, it doesn't, and you will find that every year, someone makes a brilliant story, yet it will be branded as 'a massive shitfest' by people who's opinions will never change, despite whatever quality they see. If there was enthusiasm for the story forum, it would improve.
I see you're a new member so you're somewhat misguided when you tell me my opinions will never change. I had a SOMS a couple of years back that lasted for quite some time and was heavily active in that forum so I am aware what I'm talking about.

Author:   JohnRush
Date:   Oct 17, 11 at 6:58am (PST)
quote CatchFire
quote imperialcereal
Well *bleep* you!

Don't get jealous that people liked mine and it got more pages than yours. If anything mine was different from the same stories that just involved monthly updates which are boring as *bleep*, I didn't go about signing all the same players as most others and how is writing one paragraph on each game worse than writing a page on a game about everything and anything. Really who in the blue hell can be arsed to read a page of bollocks including "I was paid £3.50 per round meaning £7 a day, five days a week, meaning £35 per week" Seriously dude, people on here do know some simple math. Just to make your story update bigger you include so much bullshit!

Im so sorry for writing a story about Football Manager in the Football Manager Story Forum.

And it was 35 pages. Get your facts right!

Author:   Modiga
Date:   Oct 17, 11 at 7:28am (PST)
This is the start of where the story forum goes wrong with the wrongly sniping towards other stories happening. CatchFire you should definitely not insult JohnRush's stories especially as he got a deserved SOTF for his previous and in a lot of people's minds the easier to read a story, the better it is. My current story I'm planning to not make the updates too big so that it's easy to follow and people don't gloss over it.

So less insulting each other's stories from both of you and more praise or constructive critism. What usually makes the story forum good is the varied stories with the past stories being the more game by game style and the current being the more personal stories but we really need a good mixture.

Date:   Oct 17, 11 at 7:29am (PST)
Can't we just agree that both of your stories are equally as shit as each other?

Author:   Drachbo
Date:   Oct 17, 11 at 12:50pm (PST)
You getting up a 'Story of Your Season and Career Thread' later on Tweety Pie? Enjoyed reading your Pool career (I've read your last few updates too) as well as the other's as well and it was a good compliment to the Story forum if you ask me.

Date:   Oct 17, 11 at 2:12pm (PST)
Yeah well I had a 50+ page SOMS that won Story of the Year and I didn't even have football manager. So *bleep* all of you.

Author:   CatchFire
Date:   Oct 17, 11 at 3:51pm (PST)
In fairness right, your story (JohnRush) worked well. It did. Definitely easy to read. But I'm trying to do something different, and I have chosen to put effort into mine. True, there are going to be bits which aren't exactly amazing pieces of writing (like the bit you mentioned), but I write because I enjoy it, not to take into consideration how many pages it gets or people who like or don't like it. If I cared about page-amounts, I wouldn't structure it like I do. But I do plan to shorten the updates when the actual game comes out (around 'chapter' 3). I'm just getting a detailed back-story in there first. I enjoy reading things that are similar to how I'm trying to do mine this year, and I don't just "gloss over" other people's stories because I like to read something new, engaging. I don't want to hear about the game, I play way too much of it already. But that's just me.

A varied forum is needed, definitely. While I'll tend to "care" less about month-by-month, non-youtube stories (of the same ilk I structured my Crewe and Eastleigh/Ipswich stories in), it doesn't mean those aren't needed. We need new people doing things on the forum. I love the story writing, and want to see it vibrant and alive for a change. Can we do that instead of 'writing it off' as an instant shitfest? (see what I did there?)

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.