Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: BFFs sidequest (spoilers) - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54903/t1769425-bffs-sidequest-spoilers/

Author:   Kratos
Date:   Oct 01, 12 at 9:00pm (PST)
Subject:   BFFs sidequest (spoilers)
-------------------------------------------
Do not read on unless you have done the sidequest.

Ok so my friends and I come up to this particular sidequest and had an argument about how to handle it. Here's how it goes.

Me: It's totally not Jim
Marco: Ok who do you guys think it is?
Marco: I think it's Sam
Andrew: I don't care. Kill 'em all.
Me: Dude, it's Jim.
Andrew: Just throw a grenade right in the middle.
Marco: No I'm convinced it's Sam
Marco: Because first off
*I shoot Jim in the head*
*Money spews out*
Me: Bitch say what?
Andrew: lol
Marco: Well played

So fellow Borderlandians, who did you shoot and how did you come to that conclusion?

Author:   Shadow of Death
Date:   Oct 01, 12 at 9:58pm (PST)
Subject:   re: BFFs sidequest (spoilers)
I killed Sam. I proceeded under the assumption that 3 were truth tellers, one was a liar (that's something mentioned when you undertake the quest as being true, whether it is or not I dunno). It was implied that Sam was the liar by two of the others, and the third guy didn't really accuse anyone.

Apparently I missed something because it wasn't her >_>

Author:   Kratos
Date:   Oct 01, 12 at 10:25pm (PST)
quote Shadow of Death
I proceeded under the assumption that 3 were truth tellers, one was a liar (that's something mentioned when you undertake the quest as being true, whether it is or not I dunno).
Actually the Marshall said it was the other way around. Three of them were lying and one was telling the truth.

To be honest, I didn't even logic it. I went with how much BS Jim was spewing.

So what happens if you kill the wrong person?

Author:   Shadow of Death
Date:   Oct 01, 12 at 10:44pm (PST)
quote Kratos
So what happens if you kill the wrong person?
You still get the special shield reward, but the rest of the ones remaining just keep standing there, only now it's a 3 way thing instead of 4. Also, no money comes spewing out of the person you shot XD

Author:   Whelan
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 2:18am (PST)
I fired a rocket launcher down the middle and it killed the right guy and left the others just standing there.

Author:   Kommando
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 2:45am (PST)
I accidentally threw a grenade and killed 3 of them instantly while leaving one at 20% HP

EDIT: just did that quest again and killed all of them. Looks my grenade throwing skills are better this time around.

Author:   XtremeBladesta
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 3:53am (PST)
I killed the right guy (Jim maybe?) because he was the only one who went out of his way to defend himself instead of accusing anyone else. Also, Sam's accusation was (iirc) based on something she said she saw, and Marshall and the other chick just seemed more pissed at the fact that Jim and Sam were....you know.....

Author:   Airwalked
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 4:52am (PST)
I Just shot someone, forget who but I remember it saying twas the right one. Hooray for luck.

Author:   Paper Fox
Date:   Oct 03, 12 at 2:29pm (PST)
I killed Jim and I came to that conclusion because of my good friend Google. I'm usually terrible at those puzzles and I didn't want to waste time and sit around trying to figure it out. Also, I got the first puzzle wrong (with the brothers) so I wanted to make sure I got it right this time.

Author:   BooB398
Date:   Oct 05, 12 at 12:25pm (PST)
I just shot Jim because he had a back pack with a $ sign on it. Clearly he had the money lol

Author:   MacBeaner
Date:   Oct 12, 12 at 12:30pm (PST)
I forget who who I shot but they all ended up killing each other anyway

Author:   Solx
Date:   Oct 12, 12 at 8:21pm (PST)
It is the with a big ass Dollar Sign on his backpack (case thing).

Author:   xav907
Date:   Oct 13, 12 at 2:19pm (PST)
I actually did work out the logic to this, it came as an interest because of my Discrete Math class.This is what I came up with. As stated above SPOILER ALERT.

The story says that 3 of them are liars and one of them is telling the truth, the friends say:

Linda: it was Sam that took the money.
Sam: it was O'Cantler that took the money.
O'cantler: Sam is full of Sh*t.
Jim: It definitely wasn't me that's all I know.

The key point here is that if Sam is blaming O'cantler, but O'cantler says that Sam is lying then one of them must be the truth teller, O'cantler and Sam can't both be liars. The trick here is once you know one is a truth teller you can accept that the thief is not O'Cantler. If O'Cantler is the thief than that would make Sam and Jim both truth tellers... and we can't have 2 truth tellers now can we? Once we prove that Jim is a liar we automatically know that he took the money.

Linda: Liar
Sam: Liar
O'Cantler: Truth teller
Jim: Liar

1. Shoot Jim in the face
2. ????
3. Profit.

Author:   Megas MkII
Date:   Oct 13, 12 at 2:42pm (PST)
After evaluating the stories and looking at each person closely, I made sure to weigh the pros and cons of success by killing my target and failure by getting the wrong one. Three seconds later I leveled my Jakobs Revolver at the back of Jim's head and pulled the trigger. It was like I'd shot a pinata from the bank. I proceeded to pick up the small amount of cash (Being that they were low level) and get the shield, and then walked away to go onto a more challenging mission in Thousand Cuts, involving flags, a container, and big gun.

Author:   corvan
Date:   Oct 15, 12 at 3:31pm (PST)
I just assumed one at a time was the truth teller and looked for contradictions. The only person that could be telling the truth without either creating two thiefs or a lying contradiction was ocantler, and anyone telling the truth but jim means jim lied and stole the money.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.