Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General OffTopic Discussion II- Guns, Guns, and More Guns! - page 8

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54903/t1757981-general-offtopic-discussion-ii-guns-guns-more-guns/8.htm

Author:   Shadow of Death
Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 6:35pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General OffTopic Discussion II- Guns, Guns, and More Guns!
-------------------------------------------
quote XtremeBladesta
So, great news. I can't use my graphics card because the jackoffs at Amazon and the Geforce website both never once mention the PSU requirements. :notamused:
What's the GPU and what's your PSU?

Not to rub it in, but checking the PSU requirements is something you should do anyway >_>

Author:   XtremeBladesta
Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 7:26pm (PST)
It's the Geforce GTX660Ti, which requires a 450w power supply. And I did in fact look for the PSU requirements and never found any. I saw a comment that mentioned the PSU, so I looked through all of the information on Amazon and the geforce website and found nothing.

Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 7:55pm (PST)
xtremeBladesta - Erm, it's not that hard to track down the wattage requirements though. I've done it several times with that GPU in the past couple of months (been helping someone with a build).

What's your current PSU anyway?

Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 9:26pm (PST)
quote Shadow of Death
What's your current PSU anyway?
Near as I can tell, 220w. I didn't look to hard at it, just enough to confirm that it wasn't what I needed.

Author:   LOD-squa
Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 10:26pm (PST)
Ouch, usually looking for stuff like that is a must. Even if you can't find it always ask someone else, they might be able to find it for you. Can't buy a new PSU?

Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 11:13pm (PST)
Luckily, my grandma is giving me some money, and if I'm lucky I should get the PSU either the day of or before BL2 comes out., so I'm crossing my fingers. And regardless of what mistakes I did or didn't make (mostly did lol) this was my first time ever buying PC part(s), so I'm pretty proud of the research I did do. I just really can't believe that I couldn't find the PSU requirements everywhere, considering I looked specifically for them. Then again, I've been sick for a week, so it's likely I was sleep-deprived at the time and just missed it.

Author:   Vicarious
Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 12:16am (PST)
Sucks that happened brah. If it makes you feel better I just got a new SD card for my phone so I stuffed it with more music!

Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 1:30am (PST)
Why, yes! My devastating inability to use my graphics card and my acute bronchitis have been magically healed by your new ability to have more music on your phone! I am forever indebted to you, The Pursuit, however may I repay this to you?

Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 5:59am (PST)
XtremeBladesta - Just want to confirm, but considering you're using a 220w PSU to start with, I'm guessing it was a cheapo pre-built computer then?

Did you confirm that your computer was indeed compatible with the GPU, and that the CPU was up to scratch (GPU > CPU these days when it comes to gaming, but still). Will the Mobo support the GPU?

Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 2:11pm (PST)
quote Shadow of Death
XtremeBladesta - Just want to confirm, but considering you're using a 220w PSU to start with, I'm guessing it was a cheapo pre-built computer then?

Did you confirm that your computer was indeed compatible with the GPU, and that the CPU was up to scratch (GPU > CPU these days when it comes to gaming, but still). Will the Mobo support the GPU?
Yeah, it was a pre-built that my dad bought me for Christmas last year. CPU is decent, only thing they really skimped out on where the GPU and PSU, which is to be expected. Without bothering to go into specifics, just about everything on my computer rates a 7.0 out of 7.9 on that Windows index thingy except the graphics card, which is like a 4. The mobo does support the GPU, and so does the PSU that I think I'm going to get. The only problem I'm having is that Tiger Direct (only place I knew of that had lots of computer parts, so that's where I looked) hardly ever lists the size of their PSUs. However, since you seem to be way better at this than me, mind checking the PSU I intend to buy and seeing if you can find its size?

Author:   Vicarious
Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 4:06pm (PST)
quote XtremeBladesta
Why, yes! My devastating inability to use my graphics card and my acute bronchitis have been magically healed by your new ability to have more music on your phone! I am forever indebted to you, The Pursuit, however may I repay this to you?

I can think of a few things.

Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 7:02pm (PST)

Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 7:17pm (PST)
XtremeBladesta - Hah, Tigerdirect huh? I'm not laughing at your choice of company to purchase from mind, I dunno how good they are (prices seem alright at a casual glance). It's just I've never seen them mentioned in the last half a year or more XD

Can't say I fancy the PSU brand either, but it has good reviews so there is that.

I think I found the dimensions of the PSU, though they are in inches (If you don't use Imperial units, then just convert them).

3.25" Height x 5.75" Width x 6" Depth

^They're actually the dimensions of a very similar model, so hopefully they'll be the same. The one you're getting is the LS550, and the one with those specs is the LSP550. It's not a widely available brand or model it seems, let alone a popular one so that's about the best I could do. Hopefully it fits.

What model of 660 did you get? 660 ti right, but what company released it? Hope it's a dual fan one!

Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 12:45am (PST)
quote Shadow of Death
XtremeBladesta - Hah, Tigerdirect huh? I'm not laughing at your choice of company to purchase from mind, I dunno how good they are (prices seem alright at a casual glance). It's just I've never seen them mentioned in the last half a year or more XD

Can't say I fancy the PSU brand either, but it has good reviews so there is that.

I think I found the dimensions of the PSU, though they are in inches (If you don't use Imperial units, then just convert them).

3.25" Height x 5.75" Width x 6" Depth

^They're actually the dimensions of a very similar model, so hopefully they'll be the same. The one you're getting is the LS550, and the one with those specs is the LSP550. It's not a widely available brand or model it seems, let alone a popular one so that's about the best I could do. Hopefully it fits.

What model of 660 did you get? 660 ti right, but what company released it? Hope it's a dual fan one!
Yeah, I got the GeForce 660Ti, but I think what you're looking for is EVGA, which is what's (all over) the box. This is it in case that's not what you were looking for. If you have any recommendations on PSUs, though, now's the time. I'd definitely like it to be as big as possible, and my budget is $60 including shipping, maaaaaybe 2 or 3 more tops (but still, that money has to pay for the PSU and shipping) But like I said, if you have any ideas I'm all for it, I'm gonna order it today/tomorrow (Friday, it's currently 3:45am EST) and I'd like to have it as early as possible lol

Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 1:09am (PST)
XtremeBladesta - Yeah, just the company name would have sufficed, but the link simplifies things. Looks like yours is just a reference design. Too bad, because the dual fan models are better and not that much more expensive.

Expect a noisier fan when the GPU really gets going (I believe reference designs have fans that make whining noises when they're pushed). Plus not as much Overclocking ability, since it's the dual fan models that keep the card ~10 degrees cooler than they'd otherwise be.

As to other PSU recommendations, I guess This one from OCZ fits the bill. It's within your price range and it's also 550w & 80+ (Bronze) certified (the one you picked out was in the 70's). The % indicates efficiency. The higher the number, the more efficient the PSU. Means it will meet power requirements better, and consequentially produces less heat.

The really high efficiency models (Platinum levels) don't even need (or have) fans.

Ah wait, it's only that price after rebate (so you have to pay more money up-front), sorry >_<

Well, either get the one you planned on, or This One. 5 star rating, a lot of reviews. A better known, more reliable brand.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.