Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pandora? This aint Avatar. This is BORDERLANDS. - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54903/t1669804-pandora-this-aint-avatar-this-borderlands/2.htm

Author:   jbh
Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 5:22am (PST)
Subject:   re: Pandora? This aint Avatar. This is BORDERLANDS.
-------------------------------------------
Jeremy here, the idea of an FPS open world loot game really appealed to me. So I was hyped for 1 and it definitely delivered.

Now I'm here, can't wait for 2

Author:   Paper Fox
Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 7:57am (PST)
quote Shadow of Death
Wait, did you have the PC version of Borderlands though? If so, I wonder why we never played together on Borderlands 1 in the first place >_>
Ohh blergh, yeah I forgot your a PC dude. I knew there was a reason we hadn't played the first together. So you'll be getting it for PC again then? Show your PS3 some love!

Author:   Shadow of Death
Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 10:27am (PST)
quote Paper Fox
quote Shadow of Death
Wait, did you have the PC version of Borderlands though? If so, I wonder why we never played together on Borderlands 1 in the first place >_>
Ohh blergh, yeah I forgot your a PC dude. I knew there was a reason we hadn't played the first together. So you'll be getting it for PC again then? Show your PS3 some love!
Yeah, that explains it.

FPS...With a controller?

*laughs out loud*

Might as well try to play the game with itouch style control schemes. YES, after mouse+Keyboarding FPS games, that is just how terribly awkward using a controller with a FPS feels. It's not elitism, I'm being serious.

Third Person shooters are fine with controllers though.

Author:   Shane
Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 11:01am (PST)
Careful now or you'll start to sound like a PC elitist.

Author:   Existence
Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 2:06pm (PST)
I've tried playing shooters with a keyboard/mouse a few times, and I truly hated it. :/ Gearbox needs to pull a Valve and enable cross-platform play. I'm actually surprised they didn't do it with B1, considering it's focus on co-op.

And jeez, I could have sworn this forum didn't exist yesterday. Existence here, and a big fan of the first game!

Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 2:48pm (PST)
quote Shane
Careful now or you'll start to sound like a PC elitist.
Yeah, but I did say it wasn't elitism, just fact >_>

I tried playing Resistance 2 for example, after a while of playing PC games...Horribly clunky and I gave up after an hour or so. Resistance 1 was the game that really got me interested in FPS games in the first place (I liked a couple before that, but never became a fan).

I've got nothing against consoles really, I have the PS3 and 360 for exclusives and such, it's just FPS controls are vastly inferior on consoles *shrugs*. For example, there was this PC styled controller (mouse type thing and keyboard) designed for the PS3 and it worked with a few games I think. The person at the top of the charts on one of the games used it exclusively. Anybody who plays FPS on PC with mouse and Keyboard will tell you that Mouse+Keyboard system works better. There might be some exceptions with certain games (like games that were console ports and the Mouse+Keyboard integration sucked horribly, with no keymapping and such, and other unique examples).

Also, I use the controller for most of the other PC games I play, even Third Person Shooters. It's specifically FPS games where M/KB controls excel. There are plenty of games where Controller >>> M/KB. Racing games come to mind.

@Existence - It takes a bit of getting used to, though I guess it wouldn't be for everyone in the end. Also, Borderlands would be nice for cross-platform, since it's mainly co-op (so no horrible imbalance between PC and 360 players like with most FPS games). The game would need to be GFWL though, and a lot of PC users (not including myself, particularly) really hate it >_>

/offtopic >_>

Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 2:53pm (PST)
You can't say FPS controls on a console are inferior as a fact. That's an opinion, not a fact. Some people like Mouse/Keyboard FPS', some don't.

And opinion that isn't best placed in the Introduction thread, either.

quote Existence
And jeez, I could have sworn this forum didn't exist yesterday. Existence here, and a big fan of the first game!
If you looked for the PS3 forum, it didn't exist yesterday. :L I had the 360 forum pushed through early once the game was confirmed then the PS3 and PC forums were merged into this one when they were created via the CRS people.

Author:   DedValve
Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 3:08pm (PST)
Took em long enough to announce a sequel

quote Shane
You can't say FPS controls on a console are inferior as a fact. That's an opinion, not a fact. Some people like Mouse/Keyboard FPS', some don't.
Well first of all let me say that I'm a huge console player and even though I have pc games I just love the feel of a controller on my hands and yes this discussion is better off somewhere else but mouse/keyboard are in fact superior to controllers. There is a reason why games are not cross compatible with consoles and keyboards, valve themselves tried to do this with team fortress 2 and left 4 dead but realized that pc players greatly outskilled console players on the fact that the mouse gave them an unfair advantage. Mouse allows you a sense of freedom that a stick on a controller cannot compare to, in seconds you can aim back, take a shot, aim forward and still have total view on your surroundings.

I will always prefer a controller and I even use one when I play my pc version of Portal/Left4dead and Team fortress but when it comes down to competitive play I plug in my mouse and play on that because I'll be at a huge disadvantage when playing with others.

Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 6:01pm (PST)
@Shane - Look, I'm not trying to start (or rather, I guess 'continue' is more apt at this point) a console VS PC war, especially not in a thread unsuited for it. Ded Valve said all I could have said really. Yes, it's a matter of preference (and I've said so already), but statistics don't lie. Mouse + Keyboard gives you a competitive edge. It's not a bias on my part, it's fact. I don't mock people for using Controllers, but I will argue against people thinking that it is only a preference as far as FPS games go. I've already said that depending on the genre/game, either mouse+KB OR a controller can be superior (M+KB for FPS and RTS games, Gamepad/Wheel for Racing games). They can also be just down to preference, if a game happens to be suited for both, so much the better.

In the case of Borderlands 2, as long as the online is mainly Co-op, then it would be fine for cross-platform play since the inequality of the controls wouldn't be much of an issue. There would also be the occasional gamepad using PC gamer anyway.

Also, welcome Ded Valve XD I remember seeing you in the Borderlands 1 forum, or at least I think I did XD

Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 6:39pm (PST)
If you're not trying to continue an off topic discussion, then you're doing a bad job of it, 'cause you clearly just posted a paragraph about it. If you don't want to continue it, then don't say you don't want to and do anyway. Just don't. It's pretty simple.

It's an introduction thread. If you want a Mouse and Keyboard versus Controller thread, then make one.

Author:   Vector
Date:   Aug 10, 11 at 1:55am (PST)
GET HYPED.

Loved the first Borderlands, beat most of it in one sitting (one very long sitting). Absolutely psyched that a sequel's on the way. ;D

Author:   Two_Step
Date:   Aug 10, 11 at 2:26am (PST)
Hey, Two_Step here.

As everyone else is, I'm totally pumped for a sequel. The wait for this game is going to kill me though

Author:   Faded
Date:   Aug 10, 11 at 5:07pm (PST)
So I went out and bought Borderlands two, it's based in Pandora.

I said MAYYYYNNNN, this ain't Avatar! This is Borderlands!

I threw it on the GROUUNNNDDD.

Whatchu think I'm stupid
I ain't gon' be part be part of the system.

I'm Faded, normally found around the Black Ops, Gears, and Maplestory forum, though I just might chill around here for a bit.

Author:   Moores
Date:   Aug 23, 11 at 6:28pm (PST)
Hi I'm Moores! I was a big fan of the first game so I'm probably going to be a big fan of this aswell

Author:   Ditnopota
Date:   Sep 19, 11 at 9:30pm (PST)
Hey, I'm Steve, and I absolutely loved the first game. I really can't wait to get my hands on the sequel. Anyways, I hope to get to know everyone here and whatnot.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.