Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Gamepad USB type? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54712/t1812763-gamepad-usb-type/

Author:   tekmosis
Date:   Jan 02, 13 at 6:31pm (PST)
Subject:   Gamepad USB type?
-------------------------------------------
What kind of USB cable does the gamepad use? Is it proprietary to Nintendo? I tried pretty much every type of USB cable I have and nothing fits. I went the Bestbuy, and Futureshop and nadda in terms of replacement cables.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Jan 03, 13 at 6:18am (PST)
Subject:   re: Gamepad USB type?
I don't think the gamepade has a USB port anywhere. Charging is done via an AC adapter with a proprietary end.

Date:   Jan 03, 13 at 11:31am (PST)
it's listed as USB :< bleh, not cool Nintendo, pulling an Apple and using propitiatory USB plugs.

Author:   bond007106
Date:   Jan 03, 13 at 4:02pm (PST)
quote tekmosis
it's listed as USB :< bleh, not cool Nintendo, pulling an Apple and using propitiatory USB plugs.
It's not USB. Nowhere (nowhere official, at least) says it is. If you read somewhere that it is then that's the fault of wherever it was for saying it was USB (and yours for believing it without checking on Nintendo's site), not the fault of Nintendo.

Date:   Jan 04, 13 at 6:27pm (PST)
USB http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nyko---ChargeLink-USB-Charging-Cable-for-Wii-U-GamePad/6914733.p?id=1218813791935&skuId=6914733
http://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/13twy3/you_can_charge_and_play_the_wii_u_gamepad_on_usb/

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Jan 04, 13 at 6:46pm (PST)
quote tekmosis
umm those arent official websites.... just saying....

Date:   Jan 05, 13 at 9:19am (PST)
quote tekmosis
Those are neither official websites nor official products. They are third-party charging devices.
Nintendo have never said anything about USB charging. The Wii U gamepad is supposed to be charged from from mains electricity. You cannot claim that Nintendo is using proprietary USB fittings when they aren't using USB at all. Even those third-party cables aren't technically USB; they plug into a USB port, but they only take electricity from the port, they don't transfer data, and are therefore not actually USB.

Author:   ims2golfer
Date:   Jan 05, 13 at 9:44am (PST)
Pro controller uses Mini-USB.... but gamepad uses same charger as 3DS

Date:   Jan 06, 13 at 1:36pm (PST)
Nintendo hasn't said what their GPU is yet but a developer has come out and mentioned specs. Just because it's not an official website doesn't mean it's not true.
I'm not sure why you guys are being so douchey over this.

and what...
> Plugs into USB port
> Draws power from USB port
> It's technically not USB

anyways, I got the cable that came with the Wii U back so I no longer need a replacement.

Author:   Dragoon
Date:   Jan 06, 13 at 1:52pm (PST)
Welcome to the Nintendo community, tekmosis, where no one is wrong ever.

Never ever.

Ever.

Date:   Jan 06, 13 at 4:42pm (PST)
quote Dragoon
Welcome to the Nintendo community, tekmosis, where no one is wrong ever.

Never ever.

Ever.
I dislike it when people try to blame others for their own errors.
He claimed that a proprietary USB format was being used, and got angry at that, when in fact USB is not being used at all.

What are we supposed to say, exactly? "You're right. Clearly it is USB, those cheap third-party products undoubtedly make it so"?
You can buy adaptors for pretty much any DC charging or data transfer format that would allow them to plug into a USB port, but that doesn't make any of them USB any more than this third-party charging lead makes the Wii U gamepad USB.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.