Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Comparison of Launch Statistics Between Wii U and other Consoles - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54712/t1810779-comparison-of-launch-statistics-between-wii-other-consoles/

Author:   Dark Arcanine
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 2:06am (PST)
Subject:   Comparison of Launch Statistics Between Wii U and other Consoles
-------------------------------------------
Source

The new console, which features a touchscreen controller, has obliterated the 4 week sales record of both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

So guys, what are you reactions to the article? Surprised? Expected it? Indifferent?

Author:   Dragoon
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 2:13am (PST)
Subject:   re: Comparison of Launch Statistics Between Wii U and other Consoles
That was not expected at all tbh. Considering how little coverage it got in the genera media (TV advertisements, promotional posters, etc), especially in the UK, I honestly wasn't expecting it to do so well. 1.8 million copies? Jesus.

Also, is it slightly racist I read that all in an aussie accent?

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 5:31am (PST)
That is kind of surprising actually as I wasn't really sure how well the console was gonna do. I mean the 3DS is still crushing it in sales in Japan almost every week and I thought it was doing back in Europe. But good for it on selling almost 2 million units in the first four weeks! Now it needs some more good games that I want to get so I can pick up a Wii U.

Author:   Big A2
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 6:10am (PST)
I was wondering whether this might be related to the fact that the Wii U launched closer to the holiday season than the other two HD consoles. But I checked in out, and the release dates almost match up for each region perfectly in the relevant year. So yeah, I'm surprised too. There was clearly a lot of worry about how the thing would sell at launch; whether more casual gamers wouldn't understand it was a new console and all that. It's great to see Nintendo managed to pull through again.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 6:56am (PST)
Nope, still doomed.

certainly good news for Nintendo, but I think e3 this year will be most telling for the consoles future.

Author:   Thrawn
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 7:12am (PST)
quote bbb7002004
Nope, still doomed.

certainly good news for Nintendo, but I think e3 this year will be most telling for the consoles future.
It's sad but with the release of X Box Next, and PS4 pending I can't help but agree.

Author:   XxSkelterXx
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 8:35am (PST)
The console sold that much because people erroneously thought they where going to buy a next generation console. All they got was a xbox360 with an hd mario game, and a screen on it's controller...Once the true next gen consoles release, the sales will slow down.

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 9:57am (PST)
quote XxSkelterXx
The console sold that much because people erroneously thought they where going to buy a next generation console. All they got was a xbox360 with an hd mario game, and a screen on it's controller...Once the true next gen consoles release, the sales will slow down.
Except it is a next gen console, it's not tech what determines next gen, but release, by your idea the wii isnt a next gen console to the GC because it isnt HD, if by so the SNES then wasnt a next gen console because it was still 2D.

As a side note the sales already made the Wiiu a success, nintendo earnt a decent profit from the consoles, they are making a stable fan base for the Wiiu so it is still not doomed.

Author:   Symphonic Abyss
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 11:52am (PST)
I'm a bit surprised in all honesty. I didn't actually think sales were doing all that well anyways - it just felt like nobody had one. Apparently everyone but me has one though! It's kind of strange haha. I thought most people hated this thing at first.

Author:   Thrawn
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 1:24pm (PST)
quote Symphonic Abyss
I'm a bit surprised in all honesty. I didn't actually think sales were doing all that well anyways - it just felt like nobody had one. Apparently everyone but me has one though! It's kind of strange haha. I thought most people hated this thing at first.
Yeah based on all the hate this console has received in general I didn't expect this.

Author:   XxSkelterXx
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 2:38pm (PST)
Well, the console is not so bad in itself. I picked up the deluxe pack for my kids about 2 weeks ago. I just think this console would have been better off released back in when the xbox 360, and the PlayStation 3 where released....Whos going to choose a Wii u over a ps4?? Besides children and Nintendo fanboys that is.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 3:17pm (PST)
Ram jump between PS3 and Wii U is the same as between PS2 and 3. It has a lower clockspped CPU with a more advanced architecture. People will buy a Wii U vs a PS whatever for the same reason any console sells, because it has games people want.

But hey, that's all been said before, so just keep running around calling people fanboys. That's your only argument, afterall.

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Dec 29, 12 at 6:19pm (PST)
quote bbb7002004
Ram jump between PS3 and Wii U is the same as between PS2 and 3. It has a lower clockspped CPU with a more advanced architecture. People will buy a Wii U vs a PS whatever for the same reason any console sells, because it has games people want.

But hey, that's all been said before, so just keep running around calling people fanboys. That's your only argument, afterall.
I wonder why he hasnt been warned or banned given his actitude is openly inviting people to a flame war.

Anyway i will pick the Wii U on a couple of years, atm it has no games i might take intrest on, when MH 3 U comes out and the Zelda U i will pick this up along bayonetta 2.

Author:   Junglepwner
Date:   Dec 30, 12 at 12:27am (PST)
quote Thrawn
quote bbb7002004
Nope, still doomed.

It's sad but with the release of X Box Next, and PS4 pending I can't help but agree.
When was this announced? I didn't hear anything about this

Author:   captain boo
Date:   Dec 30, 12 at 3:34pm (PST)
I always laugh whenever Nintendo does so well, considering the hate they get over straight out ignorance.

I'm not tremendously surprised, however, Ninetendo basically always sells extremely well.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.