Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Game discs will have rounded edges - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54712/t1791959-game-discs-have-rounded-edges/

Author:   tekmosis
Date:   Nov 13, 12 at 2:16pm (PST)
Subject:   Game discs will have rounded edges
-------------------------------------------

Sounds kind of cool, it's a small thing but still interesting

There's something immediately striking about Nintendo's Wii U proprietary disc format that's hard to notice in photos -- it's got rounded edges, both outside and in. It feels different than any other disc we've handled before; Tim swears he's seen a round-edged disc in the wild, but we've never seen such a thing ourselves. It's as if the folks at Nintendo took sandpaper to every edge of every disc, making them all the more friendly to the touch. It's a little detail, but it's a nice one.

As we learned when the console was initially announced, the Wii U's "proprietary high-density optical discs" hold up to 25GB of data -- equivalent with that of Sony's single-layer Blu-ray format on the PlayStation 3, and much larger than the Xbox 360's dual-layer DVD format. Of course, all logic and statistics aside, having now handled a round-edged disc, we never wanna go back. We've taken some super up-close photos of Wii U karaoke title Sing Party, as well as comparison shots alongside its hard-edged Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 brethren, which can be found in the gallery below.
Source: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/12/nintendo-wii-u-proprietary-disc/

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Nov 14, 12 at 6:28pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Game discs will have rounded edges
Okay, so I laughed at this story when I first read it, but having now handled a Wii U disc myself it does feel really weird. I don't think its necessarily "better" or "worse" than your typical DVD, but definitely different.

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Nov 14, 12 at 8:42pm (PST)
quote bbb7002004
Okay, so I laughed at this story when I first read it, but having now handled a Wii U disc myself it does feel really weird. I don't think its necessarily "better" or "worse" than your typical DVD, but definitely different.
i figure smoother/softer edges mean easier to put in or out of the console

Author:   FoneBoneFan15
Date:   Nov 15, 12 at 6:40am (PST)
Subject:   Game discs will have rounded edges
It's weird that game discs have rounded edges. New Super Mario Bros. U has the first disc of a Nintendo game that have a round edge.

Author:   tekmosis
Date:   Nov 15, 12 at 10:02am (PST)
quote bbb7002004
Under what circumstances were you able to handle one of the discs? :0

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Nov 15, 12 at 11:49am (PST)
I bought a Wii U game of course.

Ubisoft and Warner Bros. released their titles Tuesday of this week, and since I had one from each preordered I decided to pick them up early. I'll try and grab a picture or two tonight.

Author:   Dark Arcanine
Date:   Nov 15, 12 at 2:18pm (PST)
Yeah, several games have been available for a couple of days now.

Not sure how to comment on such information rather than it sounds good, haha. I guess I could say it ties in with the curvier design of the Wii U.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.