Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Nintendo Wii U's North American release date is November 18, base price $299 - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54712/t1766516-nintendo-wii-us-north-american-release-date-november-18-base-price-299/2.htm

Author:   ashantiqua
Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 12:00pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Nintendo Wii U's North American release date is November 18, base price $299
-------------------------------------------
does it support the wavebird? thats a biggie for me.

either way, imma buy it on craigslist or ebay for ~$100 - $150 after a while - mostly to just play the few wii games that caught my eye since i never picked up a wii.

Author:   Cain_Kousei_69
Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 1:10pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Nintendo Wii U's North American release date is November 18, base price $299
Day 1 purchase I think. Deluxe version get!

BTW does anyone know if you NEED old wii controllers to play wii games or can we just use the new gamepad?

Author:   Zombie_Barioth
Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 5:30pm (PST)
Cain_Kousei_69 You probably will need the wiimotes to play wii games seeing as they wouldn't be programed to use the Wii U controllers.

I'll probably wait until after the holiday rush though, not much I'm interested in except Pikmin 3 so maybe when MH3 Ultimate comes out I'll get one.

Author:   bluexy
Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 7:01pm (PST)
Cain_Kouisei_69 Extremely doubtful any Wii game would be "updated" to work with the Wii U's GamePad. Since a majority of Wii games require the motion controller, yes, I'd say you'll need a Wii-mote to play them.

If on the odd chance the game does not require the Wii-mote, as in the back of the box says classic controller or Game Cube controller compatible... then there's a chance the Wii U GamePad or Pro controller will work in its place.

Author:   Boreas
Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 7:10pm (PST)
I'd guess they would make the GamePad act like a IR sensor bar for playing Wii U games on the Wii U.

Author:   Cain_Kousei_69
Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 7:49pm (PST)
quote bluexy
Cain_Kouisei_69 Extremely doubtful any Wii game would be "updated" to work with the Wii U's GamePad. Since a majority of Wii games require the motion controller, yes, I'd say you'll need a Wii-mote to play them.

If on the odd chance the game does not require the Wii-mote, as in the back of the box says classic controller or Game Cube controller compatible... then there's a chance the Wii U GamePad or Pro controller will work in its place.
I was kinda hoping the gamepad would work like a classic controller; quite a few wii games use the classic controller so I'm hopeful the gamepad will work as such.

Author:   MetallicaDragon
Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 2:29am (PST)
Excited for it now even though I just want one game for it for now. Gonna preorder it hopefuly alright this morning seeing EB games will only have limited supplies and there is no getting one with out a preorder on launch day thats for sure, well if its anything like the Wii's release and the giant shortage there was all day.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.