Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Wii U won't work, analyst Patcher believes - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54712/t1765651-wii-won-work-analyst-patcher-believes/2.htm

Author:   Vollando
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 9:54am (PST)
Subject:   re: Wii U won't work, analyst Patcher believes
-------------------------------------------
Wakaman pretty sure he was being sarcastic about the cardboard comment...

Author:   Pikachu
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:02am (PST)
Vollando I have to disagree with you there, considering the fact that he made his opinion on Nintendo very clear and blatantly mocked Ninty's 'hardcore' fanbase.

Author:   Austin
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:03am (PST)
Nintendo to me I have load every system they made including the Wii they all ahd great games to play on and the only reasons I have seen people complain about the Wii is either good graphics or no Blu ray. I have full Faith in Nintendo and they have not failed me yet So this will be A first day Buy =D

Author:   Austin
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:03am (PST)
Loved*

Author:   Vollando
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:04am (PST)
Pikachu you can't be serious. I know he's mocking the fanbase, but saying people would buy a piece of cardboard is clearly a joke to make fun of the fans, he wasn't being literal

Author:   Pikachu
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:06am (PST)
Vollando I am serious. Neither of us know if he was serious or not, and I'm sure those who are entirely obsessed with Ninty would buy that piece of cardboard if Ninty said it would work with it's consoles.

Author:   DeadDuck144
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:06am (PST)
Patcher said the DS was going to fail.
Patcher said the Wii was going to fail.
Patcher said the 3DS was going to fail.

Why Neoseeker continues to put stock into what this guy says is beyond me.

Author:   Wakaman
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:08am (PST)
quote Vollando
Wakaman pretty sure he was being sarcastic about the cardboard comment...
Even if he was, this guy is blatantly biased.

This guy reminds me of the mofo who kept calling Doomsday last year.

Also lol at the thumbs down, just lol.

Author:   BlackLabel
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:15am (PST)
quote Broku6
Wow Michael Pachter was wrong about the wii and going to be wrong again with the wii u. Yes people will just about anything with Mario in it cause 90% of all Mario game are good. Mario Zelda and metroid are nintendos dream team for years they will always have ppl coming ba k for more
Actually statistically speaking the more he's wrong about all things Nintendo the more chance he'll stumble on being right. It's a simple case of the law of averages if he was wrong about the Wii and other Nintendo products he could very well be right about this based on sheer luck. I hope he's not right though, I don't care if Wii U succeeds or fails but if he's right it'll go right to his head and we won't hear the end of it for years.

Author:   LZ Schneider
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:21am (PST)
quote DeadDuck144
Patcher said the DS was going to fail.
Patcher said the Wii was going to fail.
Patcher said the 3DS was going to fail.

Why Neoseeker continues to put stock into what this guy says is beyond me.
It generates buzz, that's why. Wouldn't it be crazy if the Wii U does "fail", though? Patcher would probably never shut up.

Author:   dgolightly519
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:23am (PST)
To be frank, this "analyst" isn't even analyzing the market. He has no understanding of processors or of computers. The Wii U simply IS more powerful than current gen, it already has to be to be capable of motion controls and an HD tablet. Developers developing those so-called ports, have already said that they will be the definitive version of those games. Scribblenauts developer has said that it is MUCH more powerful than current gen consoles and it is rumored to be less than 400. Compare that to the launch price of Xbox360 or Playstation3 at nearly 600 and nearly 700. Seriously, what will it cost to buy if Xbox Next or Playstation Next want to be as powerful again over Wii U as they were with 360 and 3 over the Wii? I can confidently say, as an IT guy for a living, that the only way to get that much better again would be to upgrade the parts to current gen gaming PC. Good luck doing that without spending an arm and a leg. Let's take off the cost of the Monitor, the cost of an Operating System (though you're still paying for one with a console... just built into the cost) etc. You're still looking at around 700-1000. Screw that.

As for tekmosis. You obviously are staff (well it says you are anyway) but that doesn't make you right. They have over 25 games slated for launch or within a month of launch. If that isn't a good launch line-up. . . . . . I don't know what is. Haters gonna hate I guess.

I won't even go into backward compatibility or that I've still got core games from the Wii that people seem to forget about when bashing the Wii that I still haven't beaten (more than 70 hours in with minimal side-questing in Xenoblade for example 3/4 done) Last Story which hasn't even released here yet (just in the RPG category). Define "core." Last I checked, "core" isn't about graphics, or really even ease of play. Core is defined by whether or not it is something desirable by a lot of people. This makes almost every single first-party title a core game when it comes to Nintendo.

And don't even get me started with the first party Kinect game (the only one really, the others are gimmicks of motion control that really don't add to anything but the cost of what motion controls already do) that doesn't even really work half the time unless you wear a hole in the carpet from standing the exact same distance from the TV every time and nobody moves within the camera's field of view aside from the Player.

NintendoLand is a learning tool so that players understand the basics of what the Tablet controller can do. Also, the graphics aren't upped for those versions because they're directly ported, same graphics, with the exception of Assassins Creed which has been stated by the devs as looking AND playing better on the Wii U. You don't complain when your Playstation Version doesn't have tons of features your Xbox version does or visa versa so you can't complain about the Wii version having tons of tablet controls that the PS and Xbox versions don't have.

Author:   BlackScythe
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:24am (PST)
Wii was a big hit with casuals for the low price and the "party" games.

For that market I've seen nothing from the Wii U that would make them want to buy this new system.

Author:   nnnddd101010
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:33am (PST)
Yeah BlackScythe, I'm not sure if I'm going to be buying this (Wii left a bad taste in my mouth), but it's definitely going to be interesting to see if the casuals Ninty chose last gen are as loyal as the hardcore fans who many feel were abandoned by the Wii.

Author:   Redemption
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:46am (PST)
Personally, every person that I've spoken to who has had hands on time or seen the Wii U in person thinks its a pretty nifty system. I was pretty skeptical at first myself, but seeing the system at E3 2012, seeing the games in action, and having toyed around with the awkward looking tablet controller, I came away with a positive feeling. The graphics are good, good enough to power the best looking Nintendo games to date and also provide just enough graphics quality for hardcore titles (I felt Arkham City looked good enough to satisfy most hardcore gamers). For Nintendo style games like Pikmin, the graphics looked GREAT. If they looked great on 50" flatpanel displays at E3 I'm sure they'll look great at home, where tv's are sometimes smaller.

The construction quality of the controller is pretty impressive too. I actually think the tablet has quite a few useful aspects that we're not even able to come up with right now. A few areas of interest that I saw was the use of the touchscreen to customize character design. Imagine touching and manipulating various parts of a character instead of using back and forwards buttons to move from body part to body part. Or imagine dragging pieces back and forth in certain games, instead of using a D-pad to move it around. Sometimes, and if used properly, a touchscreen is just far superior as an input interface and gives the user a more organic experience - I can't imagine playing Tower Defense titles with a D-pad and buttons for instance. In cases where the touchscreen is inappropriate, the controllers still have button inputs. It looks like a freakish design but I suspect it might work out pretty well.

Yes some of the games will do it wrong, but the games that do it right, they will really show the power and genius behind the Wii U.

Author:   ims2golfer
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 10:56am (PST)
Wasn't Pachter the one who said the Dreamcast was horrible?
Yeah.... this guys obviously a biased bust.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.