Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: How did you become a brony?? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54588/t1853955-how-did-you-become-brony/

Author:   goldensunmaster
Date:   Apr 17, 13 at 2:31pm (PST)
Subject:   How did you become a brony??
-------------------------------------------
On May 29th, 2012, my 8th grade school year had just ended. I played StarCraft 2 all the time, and I happened to stumble upon this video on YouTube while watching StarCraft videos.

I had seen My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic on TV before, but I thought it was stupid and flipped the channel right away. I had never heard of a "brony" before.

But when I saw this video, it sparked an interest in MLP:FiM, and I watched an episode (Party of One). I loved it, and watched several more episodes over the next few days. By then I was a full-fledged brony.

Author:   Stitch
Date:   Apr 17, 13 at 2:55pm (PST)
Subject:   re: How did you become a brony??
Daedric Prince I think introduced me and some others to it, I watched a few episodes, Bam, Brony.

Author:   Krystal Dark
Date:   Apr 17, 13 at 2:59pm (PST)
Ah, it all started for me on the month of September,(can't recall what day it was) back in 2011.

I was working around the house for money when after i was done
i went into my room flipping channels until i stopped on the hub.

mlp just so happen to be on so out of curiosity i left it on and watched it.

The episode was Boast Busters, it was about six minutes into the episode.

So before i knew it i ended up watching the rest of it.

I realized that i enjoyed it when i watched another episode.
This went on for about five days until i knew for sure that i was hooked.

I didn't find out about the brony fanbase until a few months later.

Author:   Auron Blade
Date:   Apr 17, 13 at 3:02pm (PST)
Thought that we already had a thread like this.

Anyways, I was completely unaware that this whole brony fandom even existed until November of 2011. I repeat, I was on the internet throughout the entire first year of this whole thing existing and I somehow never even noticed it. At all. I was vaguely aware that Hasbro was rebooting MLP, but all I did was scoff derisively at the very idea.

My first exposure to the show came after a four day long power outage. In my happiness of having the TV back I was randomly flipping through channels when I chanced upon the hub. The first thing I saw was a strange pink creature dressed like a chicken. Out of bored curiosity I continued watching, and found myself hooked.

Over the next few days I went on an archive binge on youtube to catch up. The rest, as they say, is history. Luna Eclipsed remains one of my favorite episodes to this very day.

Author:   Luis_GT
Date:   Apr 17, 13 at 3:26pm (PST)
Here's my story

One day in 2011, I was casually browsing the forums of a web comic I read, and made a journey to the off topic section, in there happened to be a youtube videos thread, casually browsing said videos I stumbled upon this MLP episode, named pilot episode 1, everyone was talking about how it was different and awesome it was compared to the original... having some PPG style of entertainment to it... being a 90's kid, I was intrigued by this, and felt the need to watch it, as I was a hardcore fan of Dexter's lab, PPG and Johnny Bravo...

Upon seeing the first episode and being left on the cliff hanger, I immediately I searched youtube for the second episode... that's when I got hooked...

Author:   kingy
Date:   Apr 17, 13 at 5:22pm (PST)
Daedric Prince made a thread in Loungin' about ponies in I think April of 2011. At first, I laughed and thought he was just joking around, but when I found out he was serious, I thought he had gone crazy.

Shortly after that, the Halo Social forum's GD was taken over my ponies and I just happened to be browsing the forum when I saw it. Still thought it was all a big joke so I decided to join in just for fun. Planned on seeing the joke die after about a week or so.

I joined the herd (do people still call it that?) on May 20th, 2011. I used to be more into the actual show back when we were still in the early stages, but that's just because I've discovered the fanfiction, music and art, all of which I love. Allows me to express my creativity, give back to the world, etc etc

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Apr 17, 13 at 8:54pm (PST)
saw the show and ponies popping up all over the internet. decided to check it out. guess i kinda lost track of how many 'ill just watch this next one' moments i had, before i admitted it to myself.

still i mainly stick around for the community. the show is alright and all, but its only great with the community and show combined.

Author:   Shadow of Death
Date:   Apr 17, 13 at 10:13pm (PST)
Well, I know it was before May 19, 2011 because I made a post in loungin' there, that seems to indicate I'd already been into the show a little while.

But yeah, I'd been seeing ponies appear around the net, and in particular on 4chan's /b/ board (every time I refreshed, there were ponies on the first page). Figured I should check it out, as I like cartoons and cute stuff anyway.

The rest is history I guess >_>

Author:   Linnie
Date:   Apr 18, 13 at 1:30pm (PST)
In April 2011 I saw the thread that's been discussed here.

In May 2011 I tried the pilot.
Didn't care for it.
Others pushed me further.
I watched episodes 3-8.
Thought it still wasn't that great.
Others told me to watch episode 9 because it was supposedly one of the best (at the time).
I watched it, and 10.
I actually did like that episode, but others continued to push and push the show on me, so I claimed to hate it and didn't watch the show any further.

On November 5, 2011, I was permanently banned from my favorite forum on the site, a forum I and others had built up for years, because of a terrible choice in moderation staff.

From Novermber 2011 to February 2012 I fell into my first "big" depression. (really my only "big" depression, I haven't yet experienced one as intense)
I came here because everyone who watched the show looked happy.
I eventually assimilated, gained a favorite character, Gilda, and lived happily after until the Season 3 finale made me unhappy. Still willing to give the next season a chance, though, just because most of the rest of Season 3 was good.

Author:   Chobi
Date:   Apr 18, 13 at 1:32pm (PST)
quote Stitch
Daedric Prince I think introduced me and some others to it, I watched a few episodes, Bam, Brony.
    Yeah, pretty much this. I don't remember exactly when, just that it was in early-mid 2011.

Author:   goldensunmaster
Date:   Apr 19, 13 at 1:34pm (PST)
quote Auron Blade
Thought that we already had a thread like this.
Well I didn't see it. I made this thread almost immediately after finding this forum.

Author:   Auron Blade
Date:   Apr 19, 13 at 6:16pm (PST)
Not a big deal. If it does exist it is probably buried beneath a mountain of old GDs.

Didn't have many posts in it either. If my recollection is accurate,

Author:   Doomjr
Date:   Apr 20, 13 at 6:56pm (PST)
I started watching this show because pretty much everyone i knew hated it, and it made me want to check it out, and i ended up really liking it.

Author:   Shadow of Death
Date:   Apr 20, 13 at 7:47pm (PST)
quote Doomjr
I started watching this show because pretty much everyone i knew hated it, and it made me want to check it out, and i ended up really liking it.
Just like being contrary then, don't'cha? XD

But yeah, some people hate things like this because the idea of guys liking 'girly' stuff makes them uncomfortable.

Author:   Doomjr
Date:   Apr 20, 13 at 8:46pm (PST)
a couple of my friends despise it, but i don't think its because of it being "girly", it's mostly cause bronies have ponified something from their fandom, so they think the best thing to do is hate all bronies.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.