Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Sakurai Says "Game System Is Complete" and Talks Third Party Characters - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54475/t1751243-sakurai-says-game-system-complete-talks-third-party-characters/

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Aug 07, 12 at 5:21pm (PST)
Subject:   Sakurai Says "Game System Is Complete" and Talks Third Party Characters
-------------------------------------------
“The game system itself is complete, so we don’t want to make it 3D or introduce complicated controls just for the sake of it. However, I am thinking of ways we can introduce a slightly different, fun experience all the while keeping the usual frantic game play.”

“I think Snake and Sonic joining were fantastic. It made many fans happy, and it broadened the Smash Bros arena. However, introducing more non-Nintendo characters willy-nilly will lose the focus of the game, so I also recognise the need to narrow it down.”
Source

Quoted more of the important stuff from the source but you're welcome to read the rest of it.

But nice to know the Game System is complete.

And chances of us getting several third party characters look to be small and while he doesn't say how many he wants in the game, it will probably be small.

Thoughts?

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   Aug 07, 12 at 7:05pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Sakurai Says "Game System Is Complete" and Talks Third Party Characters
I really want Sonic and Snake to stay in, but it doesn't seem likely.

Author:   Stewie
Date:   Aug 07, 12 at 7:11pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Sakurai Says "Game System Is Complete" and Talks Third Party Characters
I think they'll end up keeping Sonic in, and then add maybe 2 more third party characters, each from a different popular series.

Author:   Quixotic
Date:   Aug 07, 12 at 7:12pm (PST)
So I guess this means Snake and Sonic are staying? If so, that's fine. I think that adding two or maybe even three third party characters would be enough.

Author:   Sonic Flash
Date:   Aug 07, 12 at 7:59pm (PST)
When they announced Sonic in SSBB it was one of the happiest gamer days of my life... ;____;

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 3:37am (PST)
quote Sonic Flash
When they announced Sonic in SSBB it was one of the happiest gamer days of my life... ;____;
I wonder why.

Though what was your reaction to Nintendo Powers April Fools joke for Sonic being in Melee?

I could see Sakurai keeping Sonic still. Sonic has continued to be a big part on the Nintendo consoles whether it is his own Sonic games or the Mario & Sonic games which seem to sell well. I could see Snake being taken out which I am fine with really. Then they could add two new third party characters to make the total three.

Author:   BlueLore
Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 5:49am (PST)
quote StewieRox
I think they'll end up keeping Sonic in, and then add maybe 2 more third party characters, each from a different popular series.
but that would go more or less against what sakurai said.
He says he wants to narrow it down,but if they simply add new third-parties,they would simply expand it,instead of narrowing it down.
Besides,if they keep sonic and snake,people would get the impression,that third-party-characters become standard-characters in the series.
they would expect sonic and snake to be in the next smash bros.again alongside the new thirdparties from ssb4 and completely new thirdparties and in the next game it would be the same over and over again.......

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 6:19am (PST)
I think "narrow down" is in reference to additional 3rd party characters, not necessarily an indication of removing Snake or Sonic. Those two likely depend on the business side of the business, IE how much it costs Nintendo to license them vs. how much attention they bring to the game. WIth SEGA's continuing woes, I'm sure they'll be happy to pick up a quick buck by throwing Sonic in Smash. One could also theorize that the reason Super Sony Bros. didn't get Snake is in part due to him being on the smash roster now, plus advertising for Revengeerance of course.

Author:   DedValve
Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 6:27am (PST)
quote PwnageMaster67
I really want Sonic and Snake to stay in, but it doesn't seem likely.
Oh my god my eyes >.>

They could keep sonic and snake, still had 2-3 more third parties and that would technically still fall under the vague term of narrowing it down since at max we would have 3-5 third party vs 33+ first party characters. (Currently there are 33 first party characters in brawl).

Author:   GaTheZakk
Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 9:40am (PST)
I think if there is any third party characters there's probrobly only going to be 2 at most.

I hope if there is any third party characters, then I want to see Megaman and Yoshimitsu.

How would Ike and Marth be considered third party?

Is Isaac third party?

Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 12:08pm (PST)
quote Ded Valve

They could keep sonic and snake, still had 2-3 more third parties and that would technically still fall under the vague term of narrowing it down since at max we would have 3-5 third party vs 33+ first party characters. (Currently there are 33 first party characters in brawl).

but they want a roster roughly the size of the brawl roster.
So if we get 40 characters,it would be ~4 third parties and ~36 nintendo charas.
That would be 3 more nintendo characters,while we're getting 2 more third-parties.
But if the two versions have different rosters,they could double the number of third-partys by including 2-3 third parties per version.In which case we'd have 4-6 third party characters,in that case I could imagine them keeping sonic and snake in different versions.

quote GaTheZakk
I think if there is any third party characters there's probrobly only going to be 2 at most.

I hope if there is any third party characters, then I want to see Megaman and Yoshimitsu.

How would Ike and Marth be considered third party?

Is Isaac third party?
why should ike and marth be considered third party in the first place?Fire emblem is a nintendo franchise,developed by intelligent systems,which belongs to nintendo.

And isaac isn't third party,I think he is what you call a second-party-character.
He is from a game devolped by a third party-group,but he belongs to nintendo
So either way,nintendo has the right for all the golden sun games,so isaac isn't a third party.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 1:55pm (PST)
The copyright Golden Sun franchise, and all of the characters and locations in it, are owned by Nintendo, making them all first party characters. Same goes for Fire Emblem, if I'm not mistaken.

Author:   Stewie
Date:   Aug 08, 12 at 6:27pm (PST)
BlueLore First off, there's no confirmation that there will even be an SSB5. And yes, he said narrow it down, but if they're expanding the roster then narrowing down could just mean keeping it at the amount that they have now, proportional to the roster size of SSB4. I don't expect them to add in a bunch of third party characters, but since Sonic is a huge series and many people loved him in Brawl, more so than Snake, I predict that he'll be put into the next game and Snake will be replaced by another. Clearly Sonic isn't intended to be a given character for every Smash game, for he isn't even owned by Nintendo.

Date:   Aug 09, 12 at 11:45am (PST)
quote StewieRox
BlueLore First off, there's no confirmation that there will even be an SSB5. And yes, he said narrow it down, but if they're expanding the roster then narrowing down could just mean keeping it at the amount that they have now, proportional to the roster size of SSB4. I don't expect them to add in a bunch of third party characters, but since Sonic is a huge series and many people loved him in Brawl, more so than Snake, I predict that he'll be put into the next game and Snake will be replaced by another. Clearly Sonic isn't intended to be a given character for every Smash game, for he isn't even owned by Nintendo.
the smash bros franchise is one of the most popular franchises of nintendo.
So it is clear that there will be a ssb5 for the console that comes after the wiiu.

And they don't want to expand the roster.
Sakurai said he would like to keep the roster the same size as brawls,so they don't want to expand the roster.
and 3 third partys in a 40-character-roster would be more than 2 in a 35-characterroster.

Author:   GaTheZakk
Date:   Aug 10, 12 at 9:47am (PST)
There will definately be a Super Smash Bros 5, but we should focus on Super Smash Bros 4 right now.

That's good news if Golden Sun is a first party Nintendo franchise, now all they have to do is give Super Smash Bros 4 a Golden Sun rep, of course that would Isaac.

I read a irrelevant comment somewhere stating Marth and Ike being third party, that's why I asked, anyway I'm glad Fire Emblem isn't considered third party because I like Marth and other Fire Emblem characters they put in each Super Smash Bros game, I hope for Lyndis next time.

Does this mean we might not see Megaman?

I think there is good things and bad things about not having too many third party reps

Good thing: Focus is on Ninitendo characters

Bad thing: I have a list of third party charactersthat wont make it

Terra Branford
Yoshimitsu
Cassandra Alexandra
Snake
Sonic
Shadow
Knuckles
Kazuya Mishima
Ryu
Megaman
Zero (Megaman)
Magus (Chrono Trigger)
Wesker

I think at most two third party characters might be in it, but probrobly nobody from my list, although I think Megaman might have a shot at being added.

It still sucks that Sonic has to be cut.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.