Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: SSB4 May Not Feature New Characters - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54475/t1743253-ssb4-may-not-feature-new-characters/

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Jul 02, 12 at 6:18am (PST)
Subject:   SSB4 May Not Feature New Characters
-------------------------------------------
Smash Bros series creator Masahiro Sakurai has told Nintendo Power that Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS probably won’t feature a host of new characters, because the team want to focus on quality, rather than quantity. Sakurai says that he would rather refine the existing roster, instead of adding additional characters.

“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive.

“In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”
Of course we may still see new characters. Imo there will be new characters but if he decides to keep the character roster at what Brawls was or even up it to 50, then that would be a fine amount. Hopefully he does fine tune each character better in this game and have them all feel distinctive. Would make for a great game.

Author:   GaTheZakk
Date:   Jul 02, 12 at 6:43am (PST)
Subject:   re: SSB4 May Not Feature New Characters
He better add Isaac!
I'm sick and tired of not seeing him on the roster! I want to play as a Golden Sun rep, the assist trophy was an insult,a Golden Sun rep is the must have for this game and I won't take any subsitutes and I don't want to see any other new character introduced intill I see Isaac!

Author:   Stewie
Date:   Jul 02, 12 at 5:18pm (PST)
Or maybe he just won't add any new characters/add a few new characters, make sure the game's quality is the best it can be, and then slowly release characters through DLC?

Author:   Quixotic
Date:   Jul 02, 12 at 5:45pm (PST)
^ That would be a good idea if he does decide not to add anymore characters.

Date:   Jul 02, 12 at 8:36pm (PST)
quote StewieRox
Or maybe he just won't add any new characters/add a few new characters, make sure the game's quality is the best it can be, and then slowly release characters through DLC?
inb4othersrageatthispost

I wouldn't be against this but I also think the game will need some new characters to already be in it when it's released so people don't just think it's Brawl 2.0. It's fine if they decide to focus more on fine tuning the characters that were in Brawl and make it more balance for SSB4. But at least give us some new characters with it as well.

Author:   Kokoro
Date:   Jul 03, 12 at 2:45am (PST)
I hope they add at least a few new characters.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Jul 03, 12 at 8:10am (PST)
He didn't say there wouldn't be new characters, but that it would be hard to add additional characters. I think there will obviously be new characters included, but they will appear at the cost of some of the current cast. I'd be surprised if the roster didn't expand a little bit though, Sakurai loves new content too much.

Author:   Fury
Date:   Jul 03, 12 at 10:03am (PST)
Whether he doesn't add anyone new, or cuts off some of the veterans, it's sure to anger a lot of people. Beyond like ROB and Lucario, it's hard to imagine anyone else getting cut without there being an uproar. At least with Brawl, the characters cut were clones, with the exception of MewTwo. There's only semi-clones in Brawl, so the choice of who to cut becomes that much harder.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Jul 03, 12 at 11:42am (PST)
I don't really like the idea of cutting characters, but I think there are plenty on the cast now that could be cut. Maybe I'll make a big post about it in the character cutting thread we already have.

Author:   GaTheZakk
Date:   Jul 03, 12 at 1:04pm (PST)
First off, cutting if there is any characters that can be cut and nobody cares it would be R.O.B. that thing is useless, otherwise keep everyone else.
Second there has to be characters added how are we goig to get any new franchise reps if there isn't any characters added thats stupid it would just be a a Brawl remake, and Isaac has to be added to roster he is the must have for this game.
Third DLCs suck I'm sick and tired of everyone talking about this rediculous concept there not going to be any DLC junk so enough with the DLC BS!

Author:   BlueLore
Date:   Jul 03, 12 at 2:03pm (PST)
I also think that he will expand the roster,I think it will have at least 40 characters,not to mention that some characters will get cut(sonic and snake are quite likely to get cut,if they want to keep the roster small)

But I seriosly hope there will be 45 and/or maybe some dlc....

Author:   Charlie
Date:   Jul 05, 12 at 5:37pm (PST)
I think it would be really stupid if there were no new characters at all. But I would be fine with it if they added new characters by DLC eventually.

I wouldn't want a Brawl version two with the same damn characters.

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   Jul 05, 12 at 6:16pm (PST)
I think Sakurai also said that they would be cutting the clones. Which would be Wolf, Lucas, Falco, Ganon and Toon Link. I personally dont think Ganon and Lucas are going, but we'll see what happens in the future.

Date:   Jul 05, 12 at 6:21pm (PST)
I have yet to find any news articles saying he was cutting the clones and I check for ssb news everyday.

Author:   Kokoro
Date:   Jul 05, 12 at 11:43pm (PST)
quote PwnageMaster67
I think Sakurai also said that they would be cutting the clones. Which would be Wolf, Lucas, Falco, Ganon and Toon Link. I personally dont think Ganon and Lucas are going, but we'll see what happens in the future.
None of those were really clones, except maybe Toon Link. Seriously, Wolf played a lot different from Fox and Falco, who now play different from each other compared to in Melee. And even if they were all clones, they don't need to remove them, just change their moveset.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.