Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Why wasn't Isaac put in Melee to promote Golden Sun? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54475/t1742250-wasn-isaac-put-in-melee-to-promote-golden-sun/

Author:   GaTheZakk
Date:   Jun 27, 12 at 11:47am (PST)
Subject:   Why wasn't Isaac put in Melee to promote Golden Sun?
-------------------------------------------
Why wasn't Isaac put in Super Smash Bros Melee to promote Golden Sun?
They could of did it considering there was characters that should not of been there in the first place, like Pichu.
Golden Sun was released that same year and Ninteno knew that it was coming out, but still they don't promote Golden Sun by putting Isaac in Melee (also Golden Sun was the GBA game of the year that year).
My point, Isaac should have been in Melee instead of a useless character like Pichu.

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Jun 27, 12 at 4:20pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Why wasn't Isaac put in Melee to promote Golden Sun?
There's always a chance that Sakurai didn't have the time to add in a Golden Sun character without having to delay Melee itself. It really depends on when that Golden Sun game was first announced(which looks like a year before its actual release) and then how far in development Melee was already. They could of already had the Melee roster decided by then and either the creator of Golden Sun was late in asking for Isaac to be added as the game was to far in development(I believe that was the case with Snake since his creator wanted to put him in Melee).

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Jun 27, 12 at 6:12pm (PST)
Melee came out around 3 months before Golden Sun, so they were in development at the same time. You also have to consider Golden Sun was an unknown property on a new handheld developed by a second party. I doubt Camelot and HAL were in constant contact to know what the other was doing.

Also, Golden Sun is a small, niche series. I'm as big a fan as they come, but that doesn't mean I'm blind to the fact that GS isn't a series that is huge for Nintendo.

Date:   Jun 28, 12 at 12:43pm (PST)
I'm also comparing this to the fact that they added Fire Emblem characters to promote them and other countries didn't see a Fire Emblem release untill 2003.
Golden Sun came out a few months after Melee, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't promote it since it would be a new upcoming franchise that would become popular in it's own rights like Earthbound is.
Anyway it should of been Isaac instead of Pichu since I just dont know why they put Pichu in if they have Pikachu anyway.

Date:   Jun 28, 12 at 2:57pm (PST)
But Fire Emblem has a large following in Japan, where 5 games had been released already and a 6th game, Roy's was on the way. (I think, it may have already been out, but whatever).

That's more games than Metroid, Earthbound, FZero, and Starfox had at that point.

Author:   Swampasaur
Date:   Jun 28, 12 at 9:20pm (PST)
If memory serves, wasn't Golden Sun originally a gamble?

They had no idea it would be as popular as it became. A new Fire Emblem game was sure to make money and thus safe to advertise.

Date:   Jun 29, 12 at 7:00am (PST)
Every new IP is a gamble.

Date:   Jun 29, 12 at 2:29pm (PST)
Ok then lets compair Isaac to Lucas shall we?
Lucas was going to be in Melee instead of Ness, but Nintendo decided not to do it because Ness is more iconic than Lucas and Lucas was the main character of what, a cancelled game.
So here's the thing, in Melee there was no Lucas, no Isaac, but there was a Pichu, and in Brawl what happened they put Lucas in as easy addition to the roster, and all that Isaac got was a stupid NPC spot as a assist trophy.
This isn't right I know Isaac is way more popular and iconic than Lucas will ever be, so how did this happen?

Author:   Swampasaur
Date:   Jun 30, 12 at 6:36pm (PST)
quote GaTheZakk
his isn't right I know Isaac is way more popular and iconic than Lucas will ever be, so how did this happen?

Japan. The mother series was much bigger in Japan than it is here.

Don't worry. I bet you that Isaac will appear in SSB4. He has to.

Date:   Jun 30, 12 at 9:43pm (PST)
He better be playable!
I thought him being an assist trophy was an insult, Golden Sun is THE BEST RPG EVER even better than final fantasy and I will have Isaac playable in Brawl.

Author:   NapoleonDos
Date:   Jul 01, 12 at 10:36pm (PST)
I'll take it you weren't around when Melee came out?
I've been a big Smash fan since the original commercial (US) aired, and with Golden Sun it was immediate as well- yet in actuality, Golden Sun being such a small franchise at the time really would have only made it strange to see him in Melee, which was boasting with iconic characters for Nintendo.

His lack of inclusion in Brawl, however, was indeed absurd.

Author:   BlueLore
Date:   Jul 03, 12 at 3:07pm (PST)
the reason for pichu in melee was that they simply needed a fourth pokemon character and they wanted to make it fast so they needed a clone.(not to mention that pichu is like the mascot of the 2nd generation making it the lucario of that time).

As for lucas:
It probably helped,that he was planned for melee and since he is a semiclone he was easier to include than isaac(but it is still weird,they didn't include isaac)

Date:   Jul 05, 12 at 11:56am (PST)
I also wonder if they even considered putting Isaac in Melee because I was playing Melee one time and I played as Roy and changed his color and noticed the blue team outfit with the yellow cape kind of resembles Isaac, was this intentional to acually have Roy have a color swap that resembles Isaac?

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   Jul 06, 12 at 3:12pm (PST)
All that matters is SSB4, whats done is done (In this case, Melee)

Date:   Jul 07, 12 at 4:24pm (PST)
You're absolutly right the only thing to do now is move on to Super Smash Bros 4 and as for Isaac being in that one I'm betting this time he's getting a roster spot!
If Golden Sun series gets an assist trophy it will be another Golden Sun character in Isaac's assist trophy place.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.