Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Realism of Call of Duty - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54255/t1760094-realism-of-call-of-duty/

Author:   rock8346
Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 11:27pm (PST)
Subject:   Realism of Call of Duty
-------------------------------------------
I always loved the realism of Call of Duty. It feels like you're in a military movie.

Author:   Ajax
Date:   Sep 13, 12 at 11:48pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Realism of Call of Duty
Realism = Arma II

CoD = Arcade shooter.

Author:   KR_1250
Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 12:04am (PST)
Realism in COD is a weird topic.

COD4 was arguably realistic in several ways.

The weapons performance differences and characteristics were pretty realistic. And all of the weapons actually existed in one guise or another and were also actually used regularly by real armed forces. Later games have lost this.

The story mode was ellaborate sure, but not impossible or rediculous. Again i feel later games lost this BIG TIME.

The maps felt like realistic combat scenarios. Again in later games maps like Carnival and Nuketown just feel like they stretched the imagination a little. No that they are bad maps.

But the gameplay has always been pretty arcadey and unrealistic. I guess alot of my lack of interest in the later games is due to the huuge level of unrealism. Alot of magical equipment, unrealistic settings and WILD stories. It has gone from a semi-realistic arcade shooter to an out and out fantasy. For me anyway.

WAW is arguably the most realistic COD. All of the weapons are real, their charecteristics are generally good (MP40 aside) and with regards to the campaign mode most of the battles shown actually did happen.

Author:   HU1CH13
Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 1:06am (PST)
quote KR_1250
Realism in COD is a weird topic.

COD4 was arguably realistic in several ways.

The weapons performance differences and characteristics were pretty realistic. And all of the weapons actually existed in one guise or another and were also actually used regularly by real armed forces. Later games have lost this.

The story mode was ellaborate sure, but not impossible or rediculous. Again i feel later games lost this BIG TIME.

The maps felt like realistic combat scenarios. Again in later games maps like Carnival and Nuketown just feel like they stretched the imagination a little. No that they are bad maps.

But the gameplay has always been pretty arcadey and unrealistic. I guess alot of my lack of interest in the later games is due to the huuge level of unrealism. Alot of magical equipment, unrealistic settings and WILD stories. It has gone from a semi-realistic arcade shooter to an out and out fantasy. For me anyway.

WAW is arguably the most realistic COD. All of the weapons are real, their charecteristics are generally good (MP40 aside) and with regards to the campaign mode most of the battles shown actually did happen.
Except for the Zombies mode, all of the weapons are real or are based from a hybrid of parts from real weapons. Mistitled names (ie, model/military designations for the wrong variant actually used in the game) or the design/manufacture/adoption by armies/forces dates not matching the date in which the game is set is a completely different story. However CoD4 did have the most plausible campaign in which it was a story that could easily happen today unlike shit that went on in MW2 and MW3. No way could the Russians (as good as they are) attack the East Coast of America via bypassing the whole of Europe and Great Britain.

But apart from that, no, CoD is far from realistic. Guns being able to fire full auto despite their selector switch set to Safe or even pointing the complete wrong way, throwing away your mag when reloading somehow doesn't stop you from losing those last 15-20 rounds when reloading halfway through a mag after each, no matter what the distance, bullets going to exactly where you're pointing at literally instantly in a perfect straight trajectory and being able to turn around a corner and hide behind some cover for a bit after taking three 7.62 Soviet rounds from an AK to the chest doesn't make for a realistic experience to me.

With that being said however, I'm pretty sure rock8346 is trolling.

Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 1:14am (PST)
quote HU1CH13
Except for the Zombies mode, all of the weapons are real or are based from a hybrid of parts from real weapons. Mistitled names (ie, model/military designations for the wrong variant actually used in the game) or the design/manufacture/adoption by armies/forces dates not matching the date in which the game is set is a completely different story. However CoD4 did have the most plausible campaign in which it was a story that could easily happen today unlike shit that went on in MW2 and MW3. No way could the Russians (as good as they are) attack the East Coast of America via bypassing the whole of Europe and Great Britain.

But apart from that, no, CoD is far from realistic. Guns being able to fire full auto despite their selector switch set to Safe or even pointing the complete wrong way, throwing away your mag when reloading somehow doesn't stop you from losing those last 15-20 rounds when reloading halfway through a mag after each, no matter what the distance, bullets going to exactly where you're pointing at literally instantly in a perfect straight trajectory and being able to turn around a corner and hide behind some cover for a bit after taking three 7.62 Soviet rounds from an AK to the chest doesn't make for a realistic experience to me.

With that being said however, I'm pretty sure rock8346 is trolling.
LOL, i guess im being more leniant than yourself. I mean COD4 and WAW are realistic compared to many other shooters. Not compared directly to real life.

I'd be here all day with that list LOL.

Author:   HU1CH13
Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 1:21am (PST)
quote KR_1250
LOL, i guess im being more leniant than yourself. I mean COD4 and WAW are realistic compared to many other shooters. Not compared directly to real life.

I'd be here all day with that list LOL.
Well I guess the only people who can comment on that one are the ones who've actually been to war on at least one tour and could tell if what you do/hear in the games correlate to what the operating procedures are in real life etc lol. But yeah, as far as the CoD's go, 4 is the better one for 'realism'.

But going to CoD expecting realism is like going to McDonald's expecting to eat a fat free burger.

Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 1:24am (PST)
quote HU1CH13
But going to CoD expecting realism is like going to McDonald's expecting to eat a fat free burger.
Yup, gotta agree with that.

It wasnt exactly a major draw for me.

Author:   Horse
Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 1:58am (PST)
I practice my quackscoping on the bathroom mirror.

Author:   Rude_Boy_Loves_SKA
Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 6:06am (PST)
I just read the first post, and my head exploded.

I'd make a list of everything that is unrealistic, or just plain wrong with Call of Duty, but I literally do not have enough time, and I wouldn't even know where to start.

And my head exploded.

Date:   Sep 17, 12 at 1:45am (PST)
Usually when talking about realism i leave things out which every game in that genre suffers.

Things like "Getting shot with a Barret without dying". Very few FPS games have trully realistic damage so I dont count that kind of thing.

Same with "hit by grenade, arm still attached". If the entire genre does it i wont hammer one game for conforming to that.

Author:   SoraCloud
Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 1:44am (PST)
Call of Duty is no where near realistic, and I wouldn't want it to be realistic either. I think it would take the fun out of this game so fast if it were to be more realistic.

Author:   Chrono
Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 1:02pm (PST)
quote rock8346
I always loved the realism of Call of Duty. It feels like you're in a military movie.
That actually wasn't a bad attempt.

Author:   Gamer Boy
Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 1:20pm (PST)
I oughta slap the stupidity out of you. But it's obvious that you're trolling.

Author:   Wackajack
Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 11:09pm (PST)
I think we all agree on the fact its not that realistic.

But i did like the story line of Cod 4 thought that was pretty close to being a realistic storyline. And its the only storyline i've been bothered to actually finish more than once...

Date:   Sep 19, 12 at 12:39am (PST)
quote Wackajack
I think we all agree on the fact its not that realistic.

But i did like the story line of Cod 4 thought that was pretty close to being a realistic storyline. And its the only storyline i've been bothered to actually finish more than once...
WAW has the most realistic story for me because it actually happened. OK so the characters and some details were made up to make it game compatable but some of the battles themselves were surprisingly accurate.

I agree that COD4 has the most plausible story out of the other games by far though.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.