Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Beta spotlight article: Gratuitous Space Battles - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54/t1418877-beta-spotlight-article-gratuitous-space-battles/

Author:   kspiess
Date:   Sep 02, 09 at 8:14pm (PST)
Subject:   Beta spotlight article: Gratuitous Space Battles
-------------------------------------------
Hi guys,

Wrote up a 'sort-of' review of a fun indie strategy game, that is currently in beta, called Gratuitous Space Battles.

Check'er out here:

[[article:2310]]

Author:   Mishtram
Date:   Sep 09, 09 at 9:31pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Beta spotlight article: Gratuitous Space Battles
I sense a trend with the recent articles, lol! I don't know how I feel entirely about giving up all control of command of my ships during a fight, though -- seems it would take away from the experience but I'm finding the additional designed element cool.

Reminds me of Extreme Tactics WAAAAAAAY long ago on the PC, unfortunately that game doesn't work on anything newer than Windows 98. =/

Date:   Sep 09, 09 at 11:46pm (PST)
Hrmm haven't tried playing that one.

Personally I like the hands-off control. The game is focused on just the designing and planning, making it a pure strategy game. But ya, I certainly don't think this is for everyone.

You should try out the demo when it comes out (I'm sure it will...but may be a while though..)

Author:   Mishtram
Date:   Sep 10, 09 at 12:53am (PST)
I'll definitely be doing that, thanks for the headsup.

Yeah, Extreme Tactics gave you a series of chassis to work with, which you customized with weaponry and produced as you needed them. I tried putting it on Windows ME, a platform which tortured me enough without being able to handle my PC games well, and my followup XP and Vista computers had no more luck. I'd recommend against it, though, it was a little clumsy.

Date:   Sep 10, 09 at 1:06am (PST)
You probably tried this, but thought I'd mention it anyways: Did you try just running it in "Windows 95 compatibility mode" ? Like i.e just by changing the properties of the shortcut to run in compatibility mode.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.