Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Street Fighter 4 - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/54/t1399101-street-fighter-4/

Author:   Jesh
Date:   Jul 24, 09 at 4:24am (PST)
Subject:   Street Fighter 4
-------------------------------------------
Should I get this on the PC? I wanted it before, but I don't have a PS3 or 360?

Author:   Celes Leonhart
Date:   Jul 24, 09 at 9:01am (PST)
Subject:   re: Street Fighter 4
Everyone says yes. Two marks off of Xbox 360's 93, the port is described as "flawless". If you didn't see the Neo article, heaps of modding is going into it too, something the consoles didn't have. That and it doesn't lag to tits like my PS3 did online a lot of the time.

If you're just asking if it's good: yeah, it rocks.

Author:   Diamond Master
Date:   Jul 24, 09 at 8:17pm (PST)
It is an awesome port. Just make sure you have a 360 wired controller handy!

Date:   Jul 24, 09 at 8:41pm (PST)
Yeah, I've gotta buy a 360 controller. Do any of you have it/willing to play it sometime once I get it?

Date:   Jul 24, 09 at 8:48pm (PST)
I can only get a trade-in value of £15 on my Playstation 3 copy which doesn't have a Playstation 3 to play it on...but it's being considered.

Author:   Diamond Master
Date:   Jul 24, 09 at 8:54pm (PST)
I'll be willing to play anytime.

Date:   Jul 25, 09 at 2:21am (PST)
Alright, sweet. You should definitely do it Celes. I'll probably get it around the 31st.

Date:   Jul 25, 09 at 12:29pm (PST)
I've got like £60 to spend, £20 on importing Watchmen Directors Cut blu-ray first and foremost, but I might do it. I'll keep yous informed.

Author:   chautemoc
Date:   Aug 06, 09 at 1:08am (PST)
To clarify, this is not a port -- the game was actually ported from PC to consoles.

Date:   Aug 06, 09 at 2:38am (PST)
Wow, didn't know that at all. Why was there such a huge delay in seeing the PC version of the title if it was actually the primary development? Seems a little bit silly to go about releasing it on consoles first and making us wait.

Date:   Aug 06, 09 at 4:40am (PST)
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/10009-capcom-explains-street-fighter-iv-pc-release-date/

I think the other reason is SecuROM (which understandably they're probably not eager to discuss in this capacity) -- the developer has to code it into the game and for proper implementation, must do rigorous testing to make sure there are no issues and minimal performance impact. This can take months, depending. In recent years at least Capcom has done a fantastic job with it, so if it means waiting, I'd rather it. (If you don't like online authentication like myself, it's just a disk check for this game, by the way.)

Also, Jesh and anyone else interested, hit up this thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/38442/t1309536-gamertag-psn-listings/

You can add me under my username as well.

Date:   Aug 06, 09 at 2:23pm (PST)
I suppose that's fair enough then, but I personally would have thought that it would make more sense to develop the introductions (new characters and whathaveyou) at the same time as the consoles, at least then the game isn't like four months late.

Isn't SecuROM meant to be like, dreadful?

Date:   Aug 09, 09 at 2:46am (PST)
Yeah, I don't know..generally I think a multiplatform game on PC can't come out at the same time these days -- unless its a port, or has no DRM -- because sales are considerably lower on the whole. Remember it costs millions to make each game with one to four years of development time..so they focus on the console sales, make their money, then work away at the PC version.

I used to hate SecuROM. But I've come to realize it's largely a fervor thing -- a lot of misinformation is spread on the internet, and very quickly..before you know it something is common perception, regardless of how merited it is. Short version is this: it can be bad, but doesn't have to be. It comes down to how well the developer knows how to implement it, what elements they choose to utilize (online activation, disk check, limited installs, etc), and what elements the customer minds or doesn't mind.

Capcom is very community-oriented -- I guess being a developer and publisher, they have a keener understanding and tendency to be aware of matters like DRM, so there's a minimal inconvenience in the end. Point is I own three Capcom games on PC and they've all performed beautifully, and given me no problems whatsoever. The same cannot be said for all games with SecuROM, unfortunately -- so basically it comes down to the developer. Customers shouldn't have to do research like this, but sadly it's necessary if you don't want to get screwed.

Date:   Aug 09, 09 at 10:36am (PST)
On a quick investigation, it appears that EA games with SecuROM are the only ones anyone seems to have any beef with. I was under the assumption that the biggest problem was how it was near impossible to uninstall, but I don't know how relevant that still is. Either way a lot of the quickly-spread rumours deterred me from buying the likes of Mass Effect and BioShock.

Seeing as I've mainly bought multiplatform games on console rather than PC with the exclusion of most FPS titles, a vaguely on-topic question: Does Street Fighter IV (and most other multiplatform PC games) have achievements?

Date:   Aug 12, 09 at 7:17pm (PST)
Not really, it's just the majority loves to hate EA, and they are big, so they get the most attention. Mass Effect and BioShock, absolutely, at first, I wouldn't have recommended anyone buy. The thing with them is they have online activation..personally I don't feel comfortable with this, but since there are cracks out there should you ever not be able to activate your game (no Internet or servers killed), I buy games with it if I want them badly enough. Of course, it's a highly personal choice. The other thing was they had install limits -- essentially you were renting the game for $50.
But awhile after release, EA and 2K have both released revoke tools so basically with a minor inconvenience, you can install as many times as you want as with most games. Sucks you have to do it at all, but that's what pirates have done to PC gaming, unfortunately...

Street Fighter IV does! It uses Games for Windows LIVE -- all games that use this have achievements. I've been having a blast unlocking them all.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.