Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Dragon's Dogma getting Hard Mode, Speedrun Mode for free, and full expansion - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/53989/t1766600-dragons-dogma-getting-hard-mode-speedrun-mode-for-free-full-expansion/

Author:   RabidChinaGirl
Date:   Sep 21, 12 at 4:18am (PST)
Subject:   Dragon's Dogma getting Hard Mode, Speedrun Mode for free, and full expansion
-------------------------------------------
[[news:20863]]

Author:   the_FAMAS_pro
Date:   Sep 21, 12 at 4:26am (PST)
Subject:   re: Dragon's Dogma getting Hard Mode, Speedrun Mode for free, and full expansion
Nice. Tbh, New Game+ was incredibly easy with my high rank equipment. And the expansion pack is something...

Author:   Darknet
Date:   Sep 21, 12 at 5:35am (PST)
Subject:   re: Dragon's Dogma getting Hard Mode, Speedrun Mode for free, and full expansion
Still hoping for dat co-op

Author:   Dragoshi1
Date:   Sep 21, 12 at 5:55am (PST)
Hard mode!?

At Lv51, as an assassin, even I had trouble on normal mode fighting against Succubi on the path to Big Red.

Author:   DedValve
Date:   Sep 21, 12 at 5:58am (PST)
Co-op will most likely be for the sequel unless they want to keep Monster Hunter co-op and DD singleplayer.

That said the trailer looked like a 12 year old made it but I loved DD (it's pretty much the only good game that Capcom made in years) so I'm definitely picking this up, and Hard mode was much needed the day of release, not now but better late then never I guess.

Author:   DragonSlayer45
Date:   Sep 21, 12 at 7:50am (PST)
I just hope that equipment we get for our troubles are some of the exceedingly rare Everfall loot. If I have to Godsbane myself one more time...

Otherwise, Hard Mode will definitely bring me back to DD. I'm going to wait for more info on the expansion before making a decision though.

Author:   XAlarikkX
Date:   Sep 22, 12 at 4:57pm (PST)
Hard mode? I need a challenge. Gimme gimme gimme!

Author:   oni_hero
Date:   Sep 24, 12 at 3:41am (PST)
The dragon kind of looked like a modified Ur-Dragon....

Author:   cnc
Date:   Sep 26, 12 at 1:42pm (PST)
I hope we earn new equipment instead of the everfall loot, seeing as I have all of it DF already. went to NG+ again just for this, hope it comes out soon.

Author:   The Darkest Shadow
Date:   Oct 05, 12 at 5:17am (PST)
You had me at dragons...

Good to see Dragon's Dogma getting some of what it really needs, a challenge and an expansion. Looks like Capcom finally listened for a change.

Author:   hollywood420
Date:   Oct 23, 12 at 6:50pm (PST)
glad they are continuing to expand on DD though it always baffles me when people say they are looking for a challenge yet they are using high-end equipment and high level perks. All these people need to do is use low level equipment and bam, not so easy anymore.

All they(capcom) are going to do is increase the enemy health bar and make them stronger which simply means it will take you longer to kill the same enemy. lol if that's what you guys have been waiting on you could have achieved this a long time ago by using rusted weapons or low level ones.

I just wish people would stop saying they are looking for a challenge when in reality they are not. no hard feelings my fellow gamers, just had to vent.

Date:   Oct 23, 12 at 6:55pm (PST)
quote hollywood420
glad they are continuing to expand on DD though it always baffles me when people say they are looking for a challenge yet they are using high-end equipment and high level perks. All these people need to do is use low level equipment and bam, not so easy anymore.

All they(capcom) are going to do is increase the enemy health bar and make them stronger which simply means it will take you longer to kill the same enemy. lol if that's what you guys have been waiting on you could have achieved this a long time ago by using rusted weapons or low level ones.

I just wish people would stop saying they are looking for a challenge when in reality they are not. no hard feelings my fellow gamers, just had to vent.
[color=maroon]So then what's the point of adding high level equipment in the first place if players that want a challenge should instead continue to use low-level crap like rusted weapons? That's incredibly silly logic if you ask me.

Date:   Nov 03, 12 at 3:40pm (PST)
Why not just *gasp* make the enemies *doublegasp* harder? What is the point of getting higher level stuff if your just gonna get rid of it because by then the game offers no challenge whatsoever, that would be defending a poor design choice on Capcoms side for not having this in the first place.

You defeat enemies, you get stronger, natural progression of a game like this dictates that the enemy should also get stronger but if the enemy remains the same while you continue to get stronger then you have a serious design flaw (unless it was intentional and for a boss killer game like this it certainly was not intentional). Most of what you say doesn't even make sense (I never even brought up a weapons looks) and being extremely aggresive will not work for me. I want a challenge, a TRUE challenge, I don't want to handicap myself because I'm so overpowered just to give the enemies a fighting chance, that's not a challenge, that's me bending the game to my will because I'm so ridiculously broken that I feel like I should give the enemy some form of chance just to entertain me and that goes completely against what Dragons Dogma is about which is using all your might, cleverness and pawns to help you bring down difficult and grueling bosses.

You want a real challenge? Let Capcom buff the enemies to our level that way we can fight full strength with full strength rather than handicapping ourselves to their level which isn't really a challenge.

Date:   Nov 03, 12 at 5:56pm (PST)
Haha if you feel the need to attack me since you know that your argument is severely flawed then by all means if it makes you feel better then go ahead, your point is still invalid on challenge, besides challenge is subjective anyways, Capcom giving players more options is bad how? But by all means ignore my post and attack me again since you seem too immature to carry on a discussion.

Author:   Tancuras
Date:   Nov 03, 12 at 6:38pm (PST)
quote Nemesis_Vll
Ah, I get you now! Let's have the players spend hundrends of hours to buff up their character only to have the enemies buff up along with the player thereby negating any true progress the player would make.
That's a great design.
So instead of truely buffing up your character you are now just spending hours collecting loot and other crap. Sounds like a game that's already out if you ask me.

I've been "hindering" myself on purpose because I find it "challenging" and don't need someone else to do something that can be self done.

But I digress, some people need their butts wiped for them and some people don't, to each his own.
Why are you playing an RPG if you don't like character progression? That's the entire point. To become stronger so you can tackle things you couldn't handle before. That is the single underlying mechanic behind every RPG.

The point behind improved equipment isn't to "make the game easier", it's to make yourself stronger. That doesn't mean you can get a better sword and go around one-shotting everything. It means you can more efficiently defend yourself, and seek out stronger opponents. That's what makes it fun.

At some point, yes, it does become easy. And yes, people do want the developers to put in more of a challenge for them, so they don't have to replicate it themselves. This is not "getting someone else to wipe your butt". The entire strategy of the game is setting a skill set and equipment load-out best suited for the situation. If you're restricting yourself, it entirely removes that strategy. It removes the need to look at every resource you have available. It eliminates an entire dimension of challenge in itself, and becomes a contest of endurance rather than intelligence. By having the developers expand on the game, they can still utilize everything they worked towards - all of their character progression - to face a bigger challenge. That is the point of an RPG.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.