Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Getting PSP demos on the Vita? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/53273/t1717399-getting-psp-demos-on-vita/

Author:   Iseden
Date:   Feb 23, 12 at 12:59pm (PST)
Subject:   Getting PSP demos on the Vita?
-------------------------------------------
http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/demos/monster-hunter-freedom-unite-demo.html
First off click the link and try to download the MHFU demo, It's not working for me. I have logged in and installing Media Go. Is Sony just being dumb and listing it but not allowing Dls?

Author:   IWolfieI
Date:   Feb 23, 12 at 4:04pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Getting PSP demos on the Vita?
PSP Demos don't work on the Vita yet

Date:   Feb 23, 12 at 8:18pm (PST)
Why wouldn't they?, and if they don't, Source?

Author:   IWolfieI
Date:   Feb 23, 12 at 8:31pm (PST)
quote Iseden
Sorry i had to find where i read it.
"Oddities and Other Neat Features:

Get this: The Vita will not play PS Store PSP demos. Yet.

I have no idea why. You can buy PSP games and play them on your Vita, but you cannot use the PlayStation Store's PSP demos. You'll need to keep a PSP around for that, unfortunately.

Demos do not show up on the Vita's PS Store. I tried forcing a transfer of some PSP demos from my PS3, but the Vita refused them."

http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-vita-operating-impressions-and-faqs-218581.phtml

Date:   Feb 23, 12 at 11:17pm (PST)
quote IWolfieI
quote Iseden
Sorry i had to find where i read it.
"Oddities and Other Neat Features:

Get this: The Vita will not play PS Store PSP demos. Yet.

I have no idea why. You can buy PSP games and play them on your Vita, but you cannot use the PlayStation Store's PSP demos. You'll need to keep a PSP around for that, unfortunately.

Demos do not show up on the Vita's PS Store. I tried forcing a transfer of some PSP demos from my PS3, but the Vita refused them."

http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-vita-operating-impressions-and-faqs-218581.phtml
I see why the Vita sales are so low in Japan, shit like this. Sony needs to get their *bleep*ing act together.

Author:   Celes Leonhart
Date:   Feb 23, 12 at 11:22pm (PST)
They'll probably do what they normally do: launch awfully and fix their act up over time.

Author:   Ville_Valo
Date:   Feb 24, 12 at 1:24pm (PST)
quote Iseden
I see why the Vita sales are so low in Japan, shit like this. Sony needs to get their *bleep*ing act together.
Come off it. They're demos. And it's common for a console to launch with poor backwards compatibility. Eg. Xbox 360 and PS3.
Also, these little bugs, while annoying, don't break a console. No one (ever) has refused to purchase it because it can't play PSP demos.

Author:   webby
Date:   Feb 24, 12 at 2:03pm (PST)
quote Ville_Valo
quote Iseden
Come off it. They're demos. And it's common for a console to launch with poor backwards compatibility. Eg. Xbox 360 and PS3.
Also, these little bugs, while annoying, don't break a console. No one (ever) has refused to purchase it because it can't play PSP demos.
It's not just this one thing though, its a combination of events and the incompetence/greed that those events represent. To list a few for you:
Requiring but not supplying a needlessly expensive memory storage medium
The backwards compatibility downloads not being available except in Japan and it being awful there
Crappy gimmicks boosting the overall system cost
Not allowing demo downloads but letting you buy games
Charging $40 for a game that is a MAC app that was recently available for $1

I think I will leave it there since this is starting to sound like an anti-vita comment and I think its marvellous.

Date:   Feb 24, 12 at 3:31pm (PST)
quote Ville_Valo
Launch era Playstation 3s were the only ones that actually had backwards compatibility, so I don't see how Sony have improved it by removing it entirely from all of their consoles. If we're thinking of modern consoles I can't realistically think of any consoles that had poor launch backwards compatibility except for possibly the Xbox 360, which turned out alright. The Playstation 2 can play all of the Playstation 1. Nintendo handhelds are stupidly backwards compatible with the DS only cut-off by pre-Gameboy Color Gameboy games, with the 3DS still backwards compatible to the previous generation at least. Likewise the Wii is completely backwards compatible to the Gamecube and seemingly the Wii-U will be too. The only cases where backwards compatibility is not possible is when the console moves entirely onto a new format (ie cartridge to disc), but even then several companies attempt the extra effort anyway (the DS with its pre-DS cartridge slot for instance.) So I don't really know where this idea that it's common and acceptable is from really; people buy a Vita who might never have owned the PSP and want that wealth of games available to them, as has been half-arsedly achieved.

Author:   Lupin3rd
Date:   Feb 24, 12 at 8:06pm (PST)
quote webby
Crappy gimmicks boosting the overall system cos
What gimmicks? as far as I can tell the back touch screen is the only thing it has over an iPhone (and buttons haha).

My main concern is still PSONE compatability, because sometimes I just won't want to crawl out of bed to get my Vagrant Story on... and so I turn on my psp, but still, that shit can't hold a charge yo.

As another concern, it would be cool if there was a TV out option, I rolled through KH BBS on the big screen. Not much of a commuter.

Date:   Feb 24, 12 at 8:42pm (PST)
quote Lupin3rd
What gimmicks? as far as I can tell the back touch screen is the only thing it has over an iPhone (and buttons haha).
The accelerometers, gyroscopes, needless additional cameras and the back touch pad especially are all gimmicky. I've never seen one of those things make a "proper" game better, they only ever make them worse in my experience. They're good for mini games on phones with things like "teeter" and what have you, but as for real games? The sixaxis made grenades throwing infinitely worse on Uncharted and MGS4 and all I ever hear is complaining about the Wii and it's motion controls.

I just find it odd that people piss and moan about the Wii sucking, and it's controls being terrible, and Mario Kart being made worse by the sloppy tilt controls but then it is used on the Vita in a similar way and then it is fine. It is not fine, it is still just as terrible as it was when the Wii was doing it. We have thumbs, joysticks and buttons for a reason (it's for gaming not for the use of rudimentary tools, evolution eat your heart out!).

Just because the iPhone has done it does not stop it being a gimmick, especially because Apple are the epitome of style over substance.

Author:   Lupin3rd
Date:   Feb 24, 12 at 8:47pm (PST)
The point being iOs set a standard (even down to the ugly ass OS present on the Vita... And you could play Mario Kart wii with a GC/classic controller bro.

These gimmicks are boons to potential customers, even if in Mario3dLand/Zelda and Gravity Daze I opt to use the analogue stick instead of the gyroscope to aim at shit.

I do get the feeling that after the 3DS showed off it's 3D wiles Sony shit themselves and threw as much technology as possible into it's console though so I see your point.

All we ever wanted was a second analogue stick (and nintendo *bleep*ed that up).

Author:   Ville_Valo
Date:   Feb 26, 12 at 12:15pm (PST)
quote webby
It's not just this one thing though. To list a few for you:
-So get a smaller, cheaper storage medium. They're not too expensive. What's more, the PSP did the same thing (but they were many times more expensive) and even the Xbox 360 launched without a hard drive.
-Yes, backwards compatibility, but like I said other consoles have done that too.
-One man's gimmick is another man's feature. I like most of them, the touchscreens are cool, and the acceleromter will be great for some games. I always wished LocoRoco on PSP had tilt controls.
-The Vita offers so many demos its ridiculous. Sure, you don't have PSP demos, but so many Vita games have either a demo or a trial you'll never get bored. Not having PSP demos isn't a big deal.
-Well, applying Vita pricing to a cheap app sucks. That's true.

quote Celes Leonhart
quote Ville_Valo
it's common for a console to launch with poor backwards compatibility. Eg. Xbox 360 and PS3.
Launch era Playstation 3s were the only ones that actually had backwards compatibility, so I don't see how Sony have improved it by removing it entirely from all of their consoles.
Removed entirely from all of their consoles? The Vita can play PSP games! It can't play demos, but who cares? Really? Also, PSX games will come.
PS3's backwards compatibility was far from perfect, and was being improved with patches before it was removed. Same with the 360. Yes, 3DS is compatible with previous generation, but so is the Vita. Except demos. The Wii did a great job, but going back a bit, the Gamecube was in no way compatible with 64 games, ditto 64 to SNES, ditto SNES to NES. Consoles often launch with incomplete BC.
And I'll reiterate that you can play PSP games on a Vita.

quote webby
I just find it odd that people piss and moan about the Wii sucking, ... but then it is used on the Vita in a similar way and then it is fine. It is not fine, it is still just as terrible as it was when the Wii was doing it.
You know what it is? They're different people. Some people bitch about the Wii's controls, other people love that stuff and praise it being on the Vita.
And evolution has absolutely nothing at all to do with Vita's control schemes.

Date:   Feb 26, 12 at 2:29pm (PST)
"Removed entirely from their consoles" > was in reference to the Playstation 3 removing PS2 backwards compat, hence what it led from. Backwards compatible would imply that my PSP games work on the Vita. They don't, none of mine do. I have to buy them all again at full price for a software version of what I own. No one is talking about demos anymore. In the same sense you'd argue the Wii is backwards compatible with the NES. Nah. And yes, going back a bit it's not the case, hence why I said "modern consoles". It's a standard that should be met.

-So get a smaller, cheaper storage medium.
So basically, get the really crap one where you can fix approx one whole game on. Excellent.
They're not too expensive.
Big boy spenders eh
What's more, the PSP did the same thing
And it's still inexcusable
and even the Xbox 360 launched without a hard drive.
wat no. I have a launch 360 and it came with a 20gb. You could CHOOSE to get the harddrive less version but the standard model came with a 20gb hdd.
-Yes, backwards compatibility, but like I said other consoles have done that too.
Above
-One man's gimmick is another man's feature. I like most of them, the touchscreens are cool, and the acceleromter will be great for some games. I always wished LocoRoco on PSP had tilt controls.
Sure, but the backpad is getting pretty much consistent poor reception and it only works with games built around the feature. I've never personally heard of a serious/hardcore game that has been enhanced by the use of intrusive motion features from the middle of nowhere. Another contribution to webby's list of terrible additions is the wheel turning mechanic on Killzone 2&3 WHAT ARE YOU DOING GOD, complete immersion crushed.
-Not having PSP demos isn't a big deal.
To you, the OP clearly isn't happy and as webby as said, it's just one annoyance in a sea of many others

Webby lol it was like all the Sony fanbots that slated the Wii previous but as soon as PSMove came out "YEAH BUT SONY DID IT SO MUCH BETTER". \o/ yeah loads of good PSMove games on the PS3.

Date:   Feb 27, 12 at 6:45pm (PST)
Ville_Valo

I was going to comment on all of this, but Celes Leonhart has kind of stolen my thunder. I can't let talk of the memory cards go though I'm afraid. You say they're not that expensive but a 32GB memory stick is almost 5x the cost when compared to a 32GB SD card. And that is compared to a pretty expensive SD card, there are some for under £20. The 16GB model is equally over priced compared to an identically sized SD card.

There is no reason what so ever that the Vita couldn't have used SD cards... they chose to use proprietary memory cards to wring just a liiiiiittle bit more cash out of you, the consumer. If you are perfectly willing to accept this and think "just buy a smaller, cheaper one" is a valid response then bully for you, personally though I'd rather not get ripped off.

It should also be kept in mind that this isn't the only thing the Vita does similar to this. You have to use a specific USB cable, and the official Sony cable is 8x more than regular USB cables and mini USB cables.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.