Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Tomb Raider developer issues statement on attempted rape scene - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/53019/t1765287-tomb-raider-developer-issues-statement-on-attempted-rape-scene/

Author:   Boreas
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 7:45am (PST)
Subject:   re: Tomb Raider developer issues statement on attempted rape scene
-------------------------------------------

Absolutely brilliant.

Author:   Ultimaodin
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 8:01am (PST)
Here's me thinking a game developer was going to have the balls to get into the gritty harsh realities of life without sugarcoating it. Either way this reboot is looking brilliant!

Author:   LloydToS
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 8:43am (PST)
The whole 'rape attempt' is pretty much like what you see in crime series and such, that aside, the game looks to be fun. It's still a long wait, but there aren't many games like this around in the current gen.

Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 9:57am (PST)
Just in response to john, looking from the footage I doubt this game will be rated for 12, probably 16+ depending on countries/regions. As said before, violent games won't do harm as long as parents teach their children what is right and what is wrong. Movies seem to have the same impact as videogames do from my experience and the rare psycho that kills or commits crimes did so because they would have with or without games or movies. It's just that gaming is so common, that yes, even criminals and the like game.

Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 10:22am (PST)
Yes because lets blame videogames. I didn't say I wanted to see rape but fighting of a potential rapist would be interesting to show. Gives women a bit more power and shows they should fight back in those situations.
John103 - Just to be more specifically responsive to you particularly, I do have a job, I go to Uni and funnily enough I am alive (hence the ability to develop a comment here).
Saying videogames have such negative effects on children is beyond ridiculous. I saw Clockwork Orange at the age of 9 and I'm pretty positive that, that is far more brutal than any videogame released. Also you pretty much pointed out the issue of the whole child vs videogames debate by saying "anyone who lets their 12 year old child"; in the end it is still the parents responsibility to parent and raise their children.
Believe it or not but not all gamers are 12-year-olds. Also take a look at your game history mate, there was a lot of games out before Mario Brothers and a lot of them weren't jolly happy fun fairs.
Also Heavy Rain did a fantastic job of not sugarcoating everything and I'm yet to hear or read any reports about that having such mentally traumatising side effects on children.
Also you make it sound as though Society has suddenly taken a change for the worst of recent years. Try studying up on history and what life was like 50 years ago. In fact why not look at what it was like in the roman era or before then. It amuses me to no end when people are of the belief that somehow society is degrading over time. Considering our leaders don't kill each other once a week, I'm pretty certain life has improved.

Boo - Exactly my point. The guy died immediately and it was pretty obviously an attempted rape it's just that Crystal are calling something else so the parents don't freak out and get all frantic with "Video games are evil!" I just don't see why they can't just state it as is, she was nearly raped but she stood up for herself and killed the wretched mongrel of a man.

Author:   blackpantha
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 10:43am (PST)
and just to add it does say Pegi 18+ fyi

Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 10:46am (PST)
quote blackpantha
and just to add it does say Pegi 18+ fyi
I actually overlooked that, indeed.

Author:   RabidChinaGirl
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 11:21am (PST)
I don't see why people are getting their britches in a bundle over this. Okay, I guess I can see it, but people can also be massive prisses.

I personally like that they inserted the rape scene; it's an issue more games should be willing to confront. Do I enjoy watching rape? Hell no, and that gameplay demo at E3 made me so uncomfortable and scared for Lara. Sexual assault is a very real fear for women (Yes, I know men can be rape victims too, but it's not something you guys generally have to worry about.), and ignoring it in entertainment media doesn't make it just go away as a societal problem. Games like Tomb Raider that aren't afraid to look at their character and truly dive into her story without ignoring her gender and turning her into Nathan Drake with boobs? I'm okay with that. And I was quietly cheering for Lara when she bit that sicko's ear off and then splattered half his brain across the ground.

Afterwards? She reacted in a very real manner by collapsing to her knees and struggling to mentally cope with the situation. Why? Because she had almost been raped and then violently killed a man. Then she probably got over herself and took care of business rescuing everyone else. Good for you, Crystal Dynamics, for crafting a more believable character and being unafraid of taking on the nasty stuff everyone else brushes under the rug.

/end long post

P.S. Crystal Dynamics, please just own up to the fact that you put the scene in there. It's not some awful thing that you've done.

/end truly

Author:   zakislam
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 11:21am (PST)
Subject:   Tomb Raider developer issues statement on attempted rape scene
[[news:19536]]

Author:   RizzyJay
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 2:19pm (PST)
Wow, didn't realised it was scheduled for release next year. Long while yet. =(

Author:   thundermaniac
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 4:45pm (PST)
So you're saying the thousands of parents who let their kids play COD are psychos? Don't make me laugh. I don't think anyone has gotten mentally messed up over games like these. Calm your crap man. It's not like because they see it that they are going to do it. Give me a break.

Author:   RabidChinaGirl
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 5:22pm (PST)
I'm convinced 90 percent of parents don't care or don't know any better when it comes to game ratings.

Anecdotal story: My friend is a tutor and deals with kids from grade school through high school. These 3rd to 5th graders love talking about video games, and once, a group of young boys asked him if he played Call of Duty. Then they quickly concluded, "Nah, you're too old for Call of Duty."

Call of Duty. A "Mature" rated series. FFS.

Anecdotal story #2: Went into GameStop to pick up my Fallout: New Vegas Collector's Edition. Saw a mother buying the same thing for her tubby little grade school aged son. Dear Lady, "M" is for Mature. Don't blame the clerk if you catch your son interacting with half-naked hookers outside Gomorrah.

Author:   THM
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 6:03pm (PST)
Well..We'll have to wait and see the final performance of the game, won't we?

Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 8:00pm (PST)
The Darkest Shadow - You sir are a legend and basically said everything that I couldn't express.

In the end all I wanted was for Crystal Dynamics to be able to call it what it is, attempted rape. Now sure, if this was a fourth Gex game (I wish) then yeah the idea of Rape would inappropriate but given this is actually targeted at mature audiences it would be nice if the touched on mature concepts without the need to sugarcoat it.

Author:   Hellfire29
Date:   Jun 16, 12 at 2:41am (PST)
God help anybody who criticises this scene and ever plays an actual rape game...

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.