Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Dragonborn Finally Coming To PC... also, PS3 finally getting the DLC - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/52479/t1819540-dragonborn-finally-coming-to-pc-also-ps3-finally-getting-dlc/

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 8:51am (PST)
Subject:   Dragonborn Finally Coming To PC... also, PS3 finally getting the DLC
-------------------------------------------
Link to the article on Beth Blog.

PC and PS3 fans, prepare to cast off. Next month, you will travel to Solstheim, home of Skyrim’s latest add-on, Dragonborn. PS3 fans can expect an expanded itinerary – with stops at Fort Dawnguard and Castle Volkihar – before heading back to the home of your dreams. Details below:

PC: On Tuesday, February 5th, Dragonborn will be available on Steam, including the English, French, Italian, Spanish and German versions of the content.

PlayStation 3: Dragonborn will be the first add-on arriving on PSN in February. Hearthfire will release next, followed by Dawnguard, and all three should be out in February. The 1.8 update will also release, just prior to Dragonborn. We’ll keep you posted as release dates get finalized both on our end and with Sony for each and its various languages. Last but not least, each one will be 50% off during their launch week on PSN.

Over the last year, it’s been a treat for us to work on new content for Skyrim, and we’re excited that it will soon be available for everyone to explore. Thanks for all your support and sharing your adventures with us.
Bout *bleep*ing time too. I've been getting bored in Skyrim wondering what the hell I could do next. Challenge would be now to hit 81 I suppose so I can do the Ebony Warrior.

Author:   Shave ya Head
Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 9:37am (PST)
Subject:   re: Dragonborn Finally Coming To PC... also, PS3 finally getting the DLC
No discount for PC then? Not to worry, I'll torrent it. Serves them right.

Author:   Resilience
Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 9:42am (PST)
Subject:   re: Dragonborn Finally Coming To PC... also, PS3 finally getting the DLC
Overdramatic, much?

Author:   balesKY33
Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 10:00am (PST)
Has a ps3 user I won't be buying it... and not because I'm mad at bethseda or anything. I traded my copy for a bag of grass... and it was worth it. The game of the year edition will be out before I run out of games to play anyway.

Author:   alauraborealis
Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 10:13am (PST)
Couldn't believe my eyes when i saw it on beths blog this morning. After 7 months....of course pc users are upset you know you only already have dawnguard and hearthfire and a ton of mods so of course you should get a discount for a dlc that's only a couple months old...RIGHT

Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 10:53am (PST)
quote alauraborealis
Couldn't believe my eyes when i saw it on beths blog this morning. After 7 months....of course pc users are upset you know you only already have dawnguard and hearthfire and a ton of mods so of course you should get a discount for a dlc that's only a couple months old...RIGHT
Perhaps you should know what the *bleep* you're talking about before posting

Author:   alauraborealis
Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 11:10am (PST)
quote 4 Aces
quote alauraborealis
Perhaps you should know what the *bleep* you're talking about before posting
I'm going to say what everyone said to ps users for so long. Maybe you should get over your entitlement and be happy you only had to wait 63 days. PC users have the creationkit, be happy you have more than any of us.
but always so full of negativity at anyone that doesnt see things your way.

Author:   The Darkest Shadow
Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 11:29am (PST)
Ah, once again fans of Bethesda's games are showing themselves to be over-entitled ungrateful sods again. I do love this community, if it's not an elitist PC gamer lording their superior platform over us (I don't care how right they are, the attitudes I've seen are nightmarish), an arse-kisser that thinks Beth have never done any wrong or a whiner that finds a fault with any action, then it's an over-entitled little git that seems to think Bethesda owe them the world, even after they've already given them the keys to it at launch.

A little perspective people, for the love of Azura, get some.

PC players already have two of the DLCs, access to the creation kit and a virtually infinite number of free mods that enhance Skyrim in ways Beth's DLCs will never be able to. As has been proved countless times in the past, anything Bethesda can do, the modding community can do better. (Admittedly only with the tools Beth provides, but still.) Every screw up they make, modders can correct. Y'know who doesn't get that benefit? Console gaming peasants like myself.

PS3 players get a discount because we haven't seen any DLC since Skyrim released over a year ago, had a broken version of the game in the first place and don't have access to any of the wonderful mods PC players get. All those fixes and additions you guys can get any time you like, we can't have.

There's been a fair bit of bitching on both sides of the fence, and as nice as it'd be for PC players to get a discount on Dragonborn, it really isn't justified for the sake of a two month wait. Especially when you consider the gamers getting the discount have had to wait an entire year for any sign of anything, with nothing in the way of updates from Beth on when or if we'd ever see the DLC on that console till now.

As countless, and I mean countless PC gamers have said to me in the past; you get what you pay for. That applies to both to the business, and the consumer. Microsoft paid for exclusivity, so Xbox gets exclusivity. Be grateful it isn't the Fallout 3 fiasco again, though with the delay PS3 players have had, it might as well have been.

And for anyone that brings up Hearthfire in a rebuttal to the Xbox exclusivity deal: I seriously doubt Microsoft would've let their exclusivity dealings be affected by a DLC that small, something, somewhere in the contract, there had to be some sort of fail-safe to prevent Beth pulling something like that to sneak out of working more for the deal. Dragonborn is most likely the second DLC that was meant to be tied to the deal in the first place.

I hadn't played Skyrim properly in over a year till today, I have enough complaints with it on a personal level to fill up an incredibly snazzy hat, I have enough issues with Bethesda to fill up two unbelievably snazzy hats and yet the one thing I can't fault them on is their decision to offer the discounts to PS3 players.

They didn't have to, and they most certainly didn't need to. People flock like bees to a hive for anything Bethesda touches, you'd swear they shit gold and have never turned out crap before (Subtle hint: They have). These DLCs, Dragonborn on PC and all of them on PS3 would still have sold for a small fortune on both platforms even without the discount.

Between the free updates with the occasional gameplay addition and their offering of a bribe as an apology for the screw-ups with the PS3 DLC, I can't complain about Beth's support for Skyrim this generation.

And if a whiny little bitch like me can't complain, maybe you kids with your five billion and three mods might like to stop it some time soon as well? ^.^

With the community these games seem to have, it's a miracle we get anything at all. I'd have told half of you to *bleep* off a long time ago, and the other half to eat a bag of dicks.

Which is probably why I shouldn't be in charge of a large multi-million game development studio, come to think of it...

Edit: And as a side note, since the miserable cynic in me isn't showing through nearly enough here. I'm still sceptical about the DLCs working perfectly on any system, let alone on the PS3. The discount could just as easily be an attempt to cash in on DLC purchases before people find out that their additions to the game are a buggy mess.

Author:   Aulis Vaara
Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 12:02pm (PST)
Would you please not lump all PC gamers and fans in with 4 Aces?

I'm not sure anymore if I'll get it, but if I do, I'll be sure to actually pay for it. Bethesda is a great developer that deserves support. That said, I have less time for gaming these days and Bethesda content is always very meaty, and I'm not sure if playing the juggling game between work and Skyrim will be worth it.

Author:   The Darkest Shadow
Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 12:46pm (PST)
quote Aulis Vaara
Would you please not lump all PC gamers and fans in with 4 Aces?
That wasn't my intention, the ones mentioned in my post were the typical players that ruin this community (or any gaming community for that matter). I realise it may have come across as more of a general referencing to PC players than I'd meant. I see the attitude mentioned in my post on both sides of the fence, not just with PC players.

Of course any console gamer that thinks their system is superior to a good gaming PC and the modding potential available to many games on account of it is an idiot. =P

Author:   Resilience
Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 12:50pm (PST)
They're just games, people. Each platform has its pros and cons. This isn't the place for that.

Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 1:13pm (PST)
quote The Darkest Shadow
Ah, once again fans of Bethesda's games are showing themselves to be over-entitled ungrateful sods again. I do love this community, if it's not an elitist PC gamer lording their superior platform over us (I don't care how right they are, the attitudes I've seen are nightmarish), an arse-kisser that thinks Beth have never done any wrong or a whiner that finds a fault with any action, then it's an over-entitled little git that seems to think Bethesda owe them the world, even after they've already given them the keys to it at launch.

A little perspective people, for the love of Azura, get some.

PC players already have two of the DLCs, access to the creation kit and a virtually infinite number of free mods that enhance Skyrim in ways Beth's DLCs will never be able to. As has been proved countless times in the past, anything Bethesda can do, the modding community can do better. (Admittedly only with the tools Beth provides, but still.) Every screw up they make, modders can correct. Y'know who doesn't get that benefit? Console gaming peasants like myself.

PS3 players get a discount because we haven't seen any DLC since Skyrim released over a year ago, had a broken version of the game in the first place and don't have access to any of the wonderful mods PC players get. All those fixes and additions you guys can get any time you like, we can't have.

There's been a fair bit of bitching on both sides of the fence, and as nice as it'd be for PC players to get a discount on Dragonborn, it really isn't justified for the sake of a two month wait. Especially when you consider the gamers getting the discount have had to wait an entire year for any sign of anything, with nothing in the way of updates from Beth on when or if we'd ever see the DLC on that console till now.

As countless, and I mean countless PC gamers have said to me in the past; you get what you pay for. That applies to both to the business, and the consumer. Microsoft paid for exclusivity, so Xbox gets exclusivity. Be grateful it isn't the Fallout 3 fiasco again, though with the delay PS3 players have had, it might as well have been.

And for anyone that brings up Hearthfire in a rebuttal to the Xbox exclusivity deal: I seriously doubt Microsoft would've let their exclusivity dealings be affected by a DLC that small, something, somewhere in the contract, there had to be some sort of fail-safe to prevent Beth pulling something like that to sneak out of working more for the deal. Dragonborn is most likely the second DLC that was meant to be tied to the deal in the first place.

I hadn't played Skyrim properly in over a year till today, I have enough complaints with it on a personal level to fill up an incredibly snazzy hat, I have enough issues with Bethesda to fill up two unbelievably snazzy hats and yet the one thing I can't fault them on is their decision to offer the discounts to PS3 players.

They didn't have to, and they most certainly didn't need to. People flock like bees to a hive for anything Bethesda touches, you'd swear they shit gold and have never turned out crap before (Subtle hint: They have). These DLCs, Dragonborn on PC and all of them on PS3 would still have sold for a small fortune on both platforms even without the discount.

Between the free updates with the occasional gameplay addition and their offering of a bribe as an apology for the screw-ups with the PS3 DLC, I can't complain about Beth's support for Skyrim this generation.

And if a whiny little bitch like me can't complain, maybe you kids with your five billion and three mods might like to stop it some time soon as well? ^.^

With the community these games seem to have, it's a miracle we get anything at all. I'd have told half of you to *bleep* off a long time ago, and the other half to eat a bag of dicks.

Which is probably why I shouldn't be in charge of a large multi-million game development studio, come to think of it...

Edit: And as a side note, since the miserable cynic in me isn't showing through nearly enough here. I'm still sceptical about the DLCs working perfectly on any system, let alone on the PS3. The discount could just as easily be an attempt to cash in on DLC purchases before people find out that their additions to the game are a buggy mess.
I'm not going to bother reading all that, because what you've most likely said in it can be fitted into a post with only a few sentences.

What you guys are totally oblivious to is the fact that I've been in the shoes of all 3 parties. Theres been a point where I've owned only a 360, a point where I've owned only a PS3 and the same with PC. You console gamers might think we PC players have it all good, but unless you've experienced it first hand then don't judge. Yes we have virtually endless mods, but 99.9% of those are shit and not done properly.

My anger is not aimed at the fact that we PC players haven't gotten it as long as PS3 players have, but the fact that there's nothing whatsoever stopping Beth releasing it for PC. It was made on PC then ported to 360.

Like i said, I've been in the same boat as you lot with the whole 360 getting DLC way before. Besides Resilience is right, they're only games, and I've moved onto other ones now. So forgive me i feel like Beth don't deserve a penny off me for DLC. Like you said, whatever they can do, Modders can do better so why should i pay for it, especially since 75% of these DLC's were already made.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jan 18, 13 at 1:35pm (PST)
The Skyrim Unofficial Patches only go so far, they do not fix any of the games coding, that can only be done through Bethesda's updates. The patch largely fixes issues with quests, world objects and NPCs.

You might think that it's more than consoles get and you have a point there, but you overrate how much it does. The PC version I've got also suffers from rising save file sizes, crashes to desktop, drops in framerates, etc... because the PC version of Skyrim is a version ported from the console, and for that reason it doesn't quite fit up to it's full potential on the PC. The modding community has produced some amazing addons in the Workshop or through Nexus but even those aren't without issues since the load orders of them can affect how they work if they're not done properly. There is a large beginner modding community because of that and as such alot of mods are disappointing. I point to one such being the Sounds of Skyrim which caused corruption of saved games, stuttering and crashes. Yes the PC has mods but they're far from perfect.

The PC version is just a port, it hasn't been fully optimised for it.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.