Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Hush hush about all these fragile archers - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/52479/t1788223-hush-hush-about-all-these-fragile-archers/

Author:   AndyAMcB
Date:   Nov 06, 12 at 10:23am (PST)
Subject:   Hush hush about all these fragile archers
-------------------------------------------
I've been playing skyrim in the dark "so to speak" for about a month. With little to no help from google/forums on how to play. I'm currently on expert setting playing it on a PC. I'm not necessarily here to brag, but I am proud of what I've made and I wanted to share it with some readers.

I began as a light armor, stealth, archer, enchanter. This leveled me up rapidly, and put me into some really killer double enchanted armor. I decided to change gears once archery and stealth hit 100. I began investing some pooled points into smithing, which I ended up filling out the entire tree!

Currently now I am wearing dragon bone(heavy) armor while I work on my one handed skills supported with a dabbling of restoration magic. My strong emphasis in archery gives me something to fall back on now that I'm in the 50-60 range of the game when I get a little overwhelmed and need to put some distance between my opponents.

I guess the reason I'm posting this is, because I've read a few "old" forum threads about archer recommendations and all seem to fall into the "small, fast, and light" type of player. I wanted to put my point out there that you can wear that awesome looking plate and still crit shot a giant from a mile away and the best part is when things get messy just pull out your blades and get to know your enemies inside and out.

I'm a firm believer that this game truly is designed for you to play it however you like... screw the cookie cutter recommendations.

Ok I'm done

Author:   Shave ya Head
Date:   Nov 06, 12 at 1:42pm (PST)
quote AndyAMcB
I've been playing skyrim in the dark "so to speak" for about a month. With little to no help from google/forums on how to play. I'm currently on expert setting playing it on a PC. I'm not necessarily here to brag, but I am proud of what I've made and I wanted to share it with some readers.

I began as a light armor, stealth, archer, enchanter. This leveled me up rapidly, and put me into some really killer double enchanted armor. I decided to change gears once archery and stealth hit 100. I began investing some pooled points into smithing, which I ended up filling out the entire tree!

Currently now I am wearing dragon bone(heavy) armor while I work on my one handed skills supported with a dabbling of restoration magic. My strong emphasis in archery gives me something to fall back on now that I'm in the 50-60 range of the game when I get a little overwhelmed and need to put some distance between my opponents.

I guess the reason I'm posting this is, because I've read a few "old" forum threads about archer recommendations and all seem to fall into the "small, fast, and light" type of player. I wanted to put my point out there that you can wear that awesome looking plate and still crit shot a giant from a mile away and the best part is when things get messy just pull out your blades and get to know your enemies inside and out.

I'm a firm believer that this game truly is designed for you to play it however you like... screw the cookie cutter recommendations.

Ok I'm done
Agreed. I have all skills at 100 and every Perk cos i like playing the type of character that uses whichever weapon he fancies at the time.

Author:   Thigas
Date:   Nov 07, 12 at 12:46pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Hush hush about all these fragile archers
I finished recently Skyrim playing as a Wood Elf Archer with only light armor.. I never even tried using heavy armor and such, but it was way harder to finish the main storyline just by acting smooth and quietly. My RL brother did the same thing using a mage, and man .. it was damn easier.

Date:   Nov 07, 12 at 5:48pm (PST)
quote Thigas
I finished recently Skyrim playing as a Wood Elf Archer with only light armor.. I never even tried using heavy armor and such, but it was way harder to finish the main storyline just by acting smooth and quietly. My RL brother did the same thing using a mage, and man .. it was damn easier.
Eventually a Mage can cast any spell for free, with the right enchantment on their armor. Plus theres the perk for dual cast flinching. As an archer though, you can stay back in the shadows and use sneak. Whereas as a Mage, you have to level up a certain skill a bit to make spells silent. I think its Illusion to 60 or 70 before you can buy that perk.

Author:   AndyAMcB
Date:   Nov 08, 12 at 6:19am (PST)
I've moved up my difficulty to master at this point because "standard" enemies encountered while exploring just die too fast and without a challenge. Including the fact my One Hand and Heavy armor skills are still not 100 yet. I cant have everything dying before I have a chance to spend some time leveling my skills.

Author:   Antipathy
Date:   Nov 08, 12 at 5:39pm (PST)
Sneak is easy mode, just don't get caught. Levelling Light Armour rather than sneak right off the bat is a bit cleverer, as you can stay alive and get better armour effect. However try 2H Heavy Armour in comparison. Tank easy levels, but mid levels, you struggle.

Author:   RatedRViper
Date:   Nov 09, 12 at 8:23pm (PST)
quote Antipathy
Try 2H Heavy Armour in comparison. Tank easy lelvels, but mid levels, you struggle.
not true. I did great up until level 35+ which is when i stopped playing...

Date:   Nov 13, 12 at 11:46am (PST)
quote 4 Aces
quote Thigas
Eventually a Mage can cast any spell for free, with the right enchantment on their armor. Plus theres the perk for dual cast flinching. As an archer though, you can stay back in the shadows and use sneak. Whereas as a Mage, you have to level up a certain skill a bit to make spells silent. I think its Illusion to 60 or 70 before you can buy that perk.
I agree with you, but it's very difficult to kill a dragon like this, or even kill some enemies that you must face right in front of you .. you cannot sneak everything ..

Date:   Nov 13, 12 at 12:33pm (PST)
quote Thigas
quote 4 Aces
quote Thigas
I agree with you, but it's very difficult to kill a dragon like this, or even kill some enemies that you must face right in front of you .. you cannot sneak everything ..
You can, i know i do. Use the environment to your advantage, their fire/frost cant get through rocks and tree's. A mage is someone who is skilled in many aspects of magic, so he is skilled in 6 or 7 areas. Whereas an Archer is only one skill, so it is viable to level up a few more. Alchemy can help a lot with Poisons and such. Also you could level up enchanting and enchant your Armour to give resistance to Fire and Frost, that'll help alot. Alternatively you could level up Conjuration to give the Dragon a distraction.

Date:   Nov 14, 12 at 8:17am (PST)
quote 4 Aces
quote Thigas
quote 4 Aces
quote Thigas
You can, i know i do. Use the environment to your advantage, their fire/frost cant get through rocks and tree's. A mage is someone who is skilled in many aspects of magic, so he is skilled in 6 or 7 areas. Whereas an Archer is only one skill, so it is viable to level up a few more. Alchemy can help a lot with Poisons and such. Also you could level up enchanting and enchant your Armour to give resistance to Fire and Frost, that'll help alot. Alternatively you could level up Conjuration to give the Dragon a distraction.
Got that, maybe I was a bit close-minded a lot .. will take a shot on this one !

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.