Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Playing as an NPC - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/52479/t1778767-playing-as-an-npc/

Author:   TheBeardedMan
Date:   Oct 20, 12 at 3:09am (PST)
Subject:   Playing as an NPC
-------------------------------------------
To play as an NPC in Skyrim you have to walk everywhere, eat and drink, sleep and avoid all means of adventure. You have to earn an income through honest means which are just pretty much Smithing and Alchemy.

I've had quite a lot of fun playing like this (even though its harder on console without mods) and I've racked up 28 hours and 14,000 Septims.

So who else has played like this in Skyrim or any other Elder Scrolls game?

Author:   Jimmy007
Date:   Oct 20, 12 at 4:56am (PST)
Subject:   re: Playing as an NPC
I haven't yet but one question....Does it not get really boring?

Date:   Oct 20, 12 at 5:35am (PST)
quote Jimmy007
I haven't yet but one question....Does it not get really boring?
It will drag at times but its just such a different way to play and I do the no reloads rule so it makes all the times when fighting unavoidable thrilling for my mushy mushroom picker.

Author:   Resilience
Date:   Oct 20, 12 at 8:10am (PST)
Are we allowed to walk into a door for minutes on end?

Author:   CatouttaHell
Date:   Oct 20, 12 at 9:24am (PST)
Sounds a lot like this guy.

Date:   Oct 20, 12 at 9:52am (PST)
quote CatouttaHell
Sounds a lot like this guy.
Haha I actually got the idea from that, its a great blog and he did one for Oblivion as well, Living In Oblivion.

Author:   JacqueseVonRIP
Date:   Oct 20, 12 at 1:56pm (PST)
Yeah, I have thought a lot about RPing in this game as a fairly normal citizen. The problem is that I imagine it gets boring quick - and that's with the idea of RPing as someone who goes on adventures. The biggest problem is the real NPCs. Sure, it's nice hearing the same thing the first 20 or so times, but after that I imagine it gets quite dull. Unless you like pretending in your head the person is talking back, but that's kind of cheating.

Edit -
quote Skyrim blog
There’s a book on the night table, and I consider reading it before bed, but it’s called “The Cabin in the Woods, Volume II”, and I haven’t read Volume I yet. No spoilers!
Lol So true

Author:   Exquisious
Date:   Oct 20, 12 at 10:43pm (PST)
I actually used to do this a lot when I was younger playing GTA games (I would use the cheat that transforms you into a NPC and crouch on benches pretending to sit), but not with Morrowind or Skyrim. Unfortunately I can't be stuffed anymore. But occasionally I make my character walk to places instead of run, because I would be highly suspicious of someone running like a madman through town.

EDIT: Most of the time I try to play games as if I were in a movie. If there is something that would naturally shock my character (and no cutscene plays), I move my character back as though he was jumping away or flinching or make him stare in horror. When he enters a new room, I make him stand in the middle or at the entrance and just look around and inspect the place first before venturing further inside. If there's a chase sequence, I look back if possible (usually it's not). And I try to choose options that I think would be characteristic of my character, ie. with Heavy Rain, I completed every one of Ethan's trials except for the Shark, 'cause I just think he's that sort of guy. (:

EDIT AGAIN: I lost it when I read this line. :'D
As I stand beside my bed all night, sleeping, I take some small comfort in that.

Date:   Oct 21, 12 at 7:14am (PST)
quote Exquisious
As I stand beside my bed all night, sleeping, I take some small comfort in that.</div>
Yes it's full of some pretty hilarious observations. I was going to read the Livin' in Oblivion blog, but it has no pictures so it's not as interesting. There was a pretty funny line that went something like
quote Paraphrase
On my way, I saw a fellow traveller. Raising his fist in the air, I assumed he was waving. But not, he was summoning a scamp.

Date:   Oct 21, 12 at 8:53am (PST)
quote JacqueseVonRIP
quote Exquisious
As I stand beside my bed all night, sleeping, I take some small comfort in that.</div>
Yes it's full of some pretty hilarious observations. I was going to read the Livin' in Oblivion blog, but it has no pictures so it's not as interesting. There was a pretty funny line that went something like
quote Paraphrase
On my way, I saw a fellow traveller. Raising his fist in the air, I assumed he was waving. But not, he was summoning a scamp.

Living in Oblivion does have pictures but you're probably viewing it on Wordpress. Go onto the guys site, Screen Cuisine and then read it there, that one has pictures.

Date:   Oct 21, 12 at 12:04pm (PST)
quote TheBeardedMan
Living in Oblivion does have pictures but you're probably viewing it on Wordpress. Go onto the guys site, Screen Cuisine and then read it there, that one has pictures.
Ah, thanks for that. I'll be able to enjoy the story now.

Date:   Oct 21, 12 at 1:49pm (PST)
quote JacqueseVonRIP
quote TheBeardedMan
Now you get the pleasure of seeing Nondricks face

Author:   Ford_Fanatic27
Date:   Oct 22, 12 at 2:30am (PST)
i dont go this hardcore into rping but i do enjoy the searching for mudcrabs to kill to fill soul gems to slowly grind my enchant, hunting deer and wolves and bears,etc for leather. killing bandits and with the help of vals crafting mod melting down my battle spoils and making newer better stuff. but i have never tried to stick to in town.

Date:   Oct 24, 12 at 2:16pm (PST)
quote TheBeardedMan
quote JacqueseVonRIP
quote TheBeardedMan
Now you get the pleasure of seeing Nondricks face
Yeah it's hilarious with the pictures. I got to the part where he's having a bad time in Skingrad, asking how it could get any worse. The picture that comes up next shows Nondrik staring at a guy with the exact same clothes and hair as him. "Oh for **** sake"
LOL

Author:   Asyilem
Date:   Oct 24, 12 at 5:56pm (PST)
This makes me want to play Skyrim again. Sounds like the perfect thing to occupy the time that should be done doing geometry home work.
NPC style here I come.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.