Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Staying Interested - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/52479/t1771574-staying-interested/

Author:   Unbeaten
Date:   Oct 06, 12 at 1:15pm (PST)
Subject:   Staying Interested
-------------------------------------------
I find it so *bleep*ing hard to play this game for longer than a week. I need to take a break for months before I can pick it up again. The reason for this is unknown. It just gets boring eventually, because it's a bit repetitive, and easy to beat. Anybody have tips on how to actually stay interested in this game? Oblivion kept me playing for weeks, even a month or more.

Author:   battousai
Date:   Oct 06, 12 at 1:38pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Staying Interested
I dunno man, I guess it depends on each person's tastes, I've been playing Skyrim ever since its release, eventually I get a new game, like right now, I'm playing Kingdoms of Amalur, finish it, but then I'll go back to Skyrim, but I guess that's 'cause I ain't got much to do, you could say that I'm a no-lifer D:

But anyway, back to your question, I dunno myself why I keep playing Skyrim, I guess the thought of doing things differently each time with my character kinda keeps me going, like different builds, or perfecting the ones I already made, the thing about this kind of Beth games, is that it opens virtually endless possibilities for just about anything, or at least, that's my opinion

Author:   CatouttaHell
Date:   Oct 06, 12 at 1:45pm (PST)
I've been playing without any breaks for almost 500 hours now and it's still as fun as ever for me.

Author:   JacqueseVonRIP
Date:   Oct 06, 12 at 1:49pm (PST)
quote U N B E A T E N
I find it so *bleep*ing hard to play this game for longer than a week. I need to take a break for months before I can pick it up again. The reason for this is unknown. It just gets boring eventually, because it's a bit repetitive, and easy to beat. Anybody have tips on how to actually stay interested in this game? Oblivion kept me playing for weeks, even a month or more.
This is exactly the same with me. I could absolutely waste my life on Oblivion for hours on end, yet Skyrim hasn't held my interest that much. I haven't even beaten the Main Quest. I can't be sure, but I put it down to possibly 2 things.
1) Too many mountains make traveling a pain. In Cyrodiil you could pretty much run straight to wherever you wanted, aside from the odd obstacle here and there. In Skyrim you have to spend at least an hour (in-game) walking around a mountain, or running up and down a bunch of slopes trying to find your way around.
2) I think the fact you can craft weapons/armour slightly ruined it. I used to enjoy finding my equipment, but now I just make it which kind of ruins the fun a bit.

Honestly, I don't know. Skyrim has much more to offer than Oblivion (I think), and yet I had much more fun with Oblivion.

Author:   Shave ya Head
Date:   Oct 06, 12 at 3:46pm (PST)
Its just that one game you can always go back to. The other day was the first time i'd touched it in months after the release of Borderlands 2 etc. I downloaded Hearthfire and once i had to put a little effort into getting materials for my house, i turned it off.

Author:   Resilience
Date:   Oct 06, 12 at 4:00pm (PST)
I was just playing New Vegas the other day, and came back to this. I have to say, Skyrim gets boring a lot quicker.

Author:   halo3rox
Date:   Oct 06, 12 at 5:07pm (PST)
For me its the lack of spellcrafting that turns me off to the game.In Oblivion I made a spell that would one hit any creature in the game.In Skyrim you might as well jump off a cliff or run away from a fight while using any type of destruction magic.Not to mention any Daedric armor/weapon is OP to the point that you can damn near one hit an ancient dragon with the 1 handed tree maxed out while duel wielding Daedric swords.Honestly when I start wondering what to play next I know Skyrim has failed me,because when I owned Oblivion when I got tired of a game the first game I thought of playing was Oblivion

Author:   mrJ
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 11:31am (PST)
The first time I played Skyrim I went all ahead full. It was pretty hardcore and I got burnt-out after a few weeks. I started playing again two months or so ago and decided to role play a bit. I started keeping a journal of what happened and realised that although I wasn't playing as much, I was far more interested in what happened. I barely touched the main quest so far and it's quite fun trying to stay in character and not min-max everything. OP, maybe you can give that a shot. Write things down, try to limit yourself to what your character might know at that time, go to a waterfall and catch some fish, etc.

Author:   TheBeardedMan
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 11:39am (PST)
Roleplaying is your friend. This is kinda like the 'oh shit' thing you fall back on if you're getting bored or fed up. It can really change your view on the game and make you appreciate the choices it gives you to be whoever you want to be.

Author:   Oblivion
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 2:36pm (PST)
quote JacqueseVonRIP
1) Too many mountains make traveling a pain. In Cyrodiil you could pretty much run straight to wherever you wanted, aside from the odd obstacle here and there. In Skyrim you have to spend at least an hour (in-game) walking around a mountain, or running up and down a bunch of slopes trying to find your way around.
2) I think the fact you can craft weapons/armour slightly ruined it. I used to enjoy finding my equipment, but now I just make it which kind of ruins the fun a bit.
Well first of all, this isn't Cyrodiil. It's Skyrim, and obviously the terrain is going to differ. I feel your pain though, those mountains get quite annoying, making fast travel almost necessary. Especially in the beginning of the game, when I first saw the size of the map and the obstacles in my path I got quite intimidated.

Secondly, I think it's actually a cool feature in the game. Although Blacksmithing is almost necessary, making it annoying. I just like the general idea of being able to upgrade your armor, to the point where it can have more damage resistance than a stock pair of "better" armor, if you get what I'm saying. For example, upgraded iron armor can have more DR than steel, and so on. Depending on Blacksmithing skill obviously.

Anyway, to keep yourself entertained, venture off and do your own thing. Most likely you're bound by the main quest. I just made a new character and I'm about level 24 and just only recently met the Graybeards. I've been doing side quests and miscellaneous quests, and my journal is overflowing with opportunities to do something new. Just give it another shot, make a new character with new skills. Restrict yourself, for example if you're an archer, ONLY use archery.

Author:   Exquisious
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 11:00pm (PST)
I guess the devs knew that some people would hate traversing the mountains. That's why the horses disregard the laws of physics. You can pretty much walk in a straight line (or zig-zag) over a mountain if you're on a horse.

Author:   mrJ
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 11:37pm (PST)
I avoid all the mountain problem by sticking to the roads. Skyrim doesn't have a great highway system but if you follow the road you're bound to reach you destination. Got bored of too many quests too fast? walk there and don't look at the map. It's quite funny when you reach Markarth instead of Solitude.

Author:   KR_1250
Date:   Oct 10, 12 at 12:24am (PST)
I have a similair problem with all recent Bethesda games: Skyrim, Fallout3 and New Vegas.

The problem is DLC. It just takes too long between each and they never last until the next one is out. It goes a bit like this:

- Game is released
- Play it to death
- Get bored and move onto other things
- DLC comes out
- Complete it in a weekend
- Get bored again and move on to other things
- DLC comes out
- The cycle continues.

Author:   Antipathy
Date:   Oct 10, 12 at 5:38am (PST)
Wrong.

Build up overhypes release.
Release happens.
Encounter game breaking bugs.
Create new character.
Encounter game breaking bugs.
Give game a rest until patch is released and move onto new games.
Patch released.
Play game til save game bloat breaks the game.
Patch released which doesn't fix it.
Play game as far as possible, before save game bloat and bugs break the game once more.
DLC announced for other console, expectant 1 month wait time, build hype.
Watch other console players enjoying the new content.
Go back to game and make a new character in preperation.
DLC never materialises.
Get pissed off and buy for PC then get DLC and mods.

Author:   Twilight
Date:   Oct 10, 12 at 7:40am (PST)
10/10, would laugh again.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.