Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: "Golden Touch" Achievement Tips? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/52479/t1769690-golden-touch-achievement-tips/

Author:   Oblivion
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 10:46am (PST)
Subject:   "Golden Touch" Achievement Tips?
-------------------------------------------
Golden Touch: Have 100,000 Gold

I was wondering if any of you guys had any tips for this specific achievement? I kind of don't want to abuse any glitches or bugs though. You can still suggest those, but I'd prefer to not use those methods.

I know about the book, "The Doors to Oblivion" and how you can abuse that, but for one, that would take way too long to make up to 100,000 gold. Second of all, I'd rather spend my time doing something productive, rather than sitting in the same spot for hours just making books appear.

I also have completed the Dark Brotherhood and
I have about 30,000 gold...more or less. So do you guys know any specific dungeons or forts where they have decent, abundant loot? Or maybe a quest that pays well, regardless of what level your character is? No matter the method, suggest it. I'll appreciate any and all contributions to my question.

Author:   ironmunky
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 11:17am (PST)
Subject:   re: "Golden Touch" Achievement Tips?
Just keep playing with the same character and doing quest, you'll get it pretty easily. But using your skills to quicken things isn't really cheating. Like if you smith your own armor and do your own enchantments you can sell enchanted iron daggers for a decent profit (level 22+ you can get the banish enchantment from Fletcher's in Solitude, it's the most profitable). Or if you are an Alchemist you can make potions and sell them (giant's toe and wheat make a nice amount). Oh course even if you have a low level in these areas you can still make money using them.

But if you do all the major questlines you'll have well over 100,000 gold. I think I cleared over 200,000 without finishing all of them.

Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 11:27am (PST)
quote ironmunky
But using your skills to quicken things isn't really cheating
Oh I know, I meant things such as the invisible chest, and the chest in whiterun or whatever. Thanks for the suggestions though. Do you know any other good ingredients I could use to create good/expensive potions?

Author:   CatouttaHell
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 12:43pm (PST)
What I did with my second character was set up shop in Castle Volkihar (or some other place where you have access to all the various tools, etc in the game) as soon as possible and randomly wander Skyrim collecting Alchemy ingredients, finding and filling Soul Gems, and mining all the Ore Veins I could find.

When I returned I'd just make as many Potions and random armour/weapons/jewelry as possible, enchant as many things as I could, and sell them all. I would usually have around 20-30,000 gold despite constantly buying Spell Tomes, and Grand Soul Gems, as well as training skills I didn't plan on using, whenever possible.

Be sure to get the Transmute spell either via buying it from Tolfdir or visiting Halted Stream Camp as it lets you convert iron ore to silver ore, and silver ore to gold.

Be sure to use all your Petty Soul Gems to enchant things with Waterbreathing, and use all the other Soul Gems to enchant things with Fortify Sneak to get the most expensive Enchantments.

Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 3:17pm (PST)
That was a helpful post, I appreciate it. I'll have to get on that when I play Skyrim next.

Author:   Lyonnais
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 4:26pm (PST)
Honestly, I have so much shit to sell after 10 hours on any character it's ridiculous. And I normally have a 10 Gold to 1 Weight ratio. Dragon Bones are a pain in the ass to sell tbh. I normally can only sell 2 and then they're out of gold. Almost all my characters probably have 20,000-100,000 in items I don't even use... And I can't sell the shit fast enough because I like to do dungeons and quests and shit.

What, I would suggest if you don't see this as cheating is go onto the character with the most shit you have. And sell everything he has even his weapons and armour. You should quite easily achieve 100,000+ gold if it's a character you've been playing for a while.

If this is a new character! Well, then do what I do. Grab anything valuable you can find. The dungeon you start in you can probably get 1000-2000 gold. And then right outside Riverwood there is a dungeon which can give you another 2000-3000, and Treasure map right next to the Standing Stones, a Dead Thalmor with a guaranteed magical item drop. And of course the Golden Claw quest. If you literally do all of that, and sell EVERYTHING you could well have like 9,000-18,000 ish gold... but that's a pain in the ass because you have to travel, collect, sell, wait, sell, travel and that's incredibly boring.

This is really easy to get as long as you play on one character tbh. And easier if you sell Artifacts you don't use.

Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 6:54pm (PST)
quote Lyonnais
What, I would suggest if you don't see this as cheating is go onto the character with the most shit you have. And sell everything he has even his weapons and armour. You should quite easily achieve 100,000+ gold if it's a character you've been playing for a while.
The thing is my hard drive has been at a friends house for some time now. Not to mention it's the old 360 hard drive rather than my new 360 Slim hard drive. I don't even have a hard drive for this 360, I just use a flash drive. I know on my old account I would probably be pretty close gold wise already. I would just need to sell my items as you've said, and I'd have the achievement no problem.

Author:   Lyonnais
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 7:03pm (PST)
quote Oblivion
quote Lyonnais
The thing is my hard drive has been at a friends house for some time now. Not to mention it's the old 360 hard drive rather than my new 360 Slim hard drive. I don't even have a hard drive for this 360, I just use a flash drive. I know on my old account I would probably be pretty close gold wise already. I would just need to sell my items as you've said, and I'd have the achievement no problem.
Ah, I understand. Well, honestly the best way I've found to acquire gold is just to raid Forts. Like Silent Moon Camp, or Redoran's Retreat. Why Bandit/Mauraders? Because their forts are ALMOST always short and easy, and the rewards are just as good.

Author:   ironmunky
Date:   Oct 03, 12 at 4:22am (PST)
quote Oblivion
quote ironmunky
But using your skills to quicken things isn't really cheating
Oh I know, I meant things such as the invisible chest, and the chest in whiterun or whatever. Thanks for the suggestions though. Do you know any other good ingredients I could use to create good/expensive potions?
The list here is the most accurate one I've seen, of course prices will vary by what your Alchemy level is. Just keep in mind making high priced potions will raise your skills faster. If you get too carried away you could find yourself fighting enemies who are above your combat level. I personally never had much problems, just have to hit them a couple more times lol. But here's the link.

http://skyrimforums.org/threads/most-valuable-potions.4985/

If your game uses some other currency you can find list of expensive potions in other currencys by using google.

Author:   Antipathy
Date:   Oct 03, 12 at 7:45am (PST)
Making Iron daggers and enchanting them with the lowest gems makes easy money as well as training 2 skills that otherwise are reasonably hard to level - unless you grind it - and consequently you might as well just get something out of it.

Author:   CatouttaHell
Date:   Oct 03, 12 at 9:12am (PST)
Actually, the 1.5 patch changed things to make it almost impossible to level Smithing anymore with shit like Iron Daggers and Leather Bracers. Jewelry is now the way to go.

Author:   Antipathy
Date:   Oct 03, 12 at 9:36am (PST)
Fair point. Smith and Enchant Jewellery away to cash cash money.

Author:   Talos
Date:   Oct 10, 12 at 8:20am (PST)
The shopkeepers in this game have barely anything to buy stuff with. I have so much stuff in the chests at my house that it has to load for a few seconds. then when i put an item in, or take it out, it loads again. Another good way to get more shopkeepers with more gold it to completely finish the thieves guild, i mean completely finish. I dont know if this spoiler tag is needed, but just incase:

Author:   SimDalmatian
Date:   Oct 10, 12 at 9:10am (PST)
Speech tree + Investments

Date:   Oct 10, 12 at 10:13am (PST)
quote ironmunky
Thank you, that list was extremely helpful. I have about 40k+ Septims right now, so I'm sure once I get on and start making potions, enchanting and disenchanting items, creating armor and jewelry, etc etc. I'll have made quite a profit by the end of today. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.