Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Battlemage question? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/52479/t1697942-battlemage-question/

Author:   flicka13
Date:   Nov 20, 11 at 2:13am (PST)
Subject:   Battlemage question?
-------------------------------------------
I've never played a battlemage. Would it be more beneficial to use light armor or to use destruction robes?

Author:   Twilight
Date:   Nov 20, 11 at 2:26am (PST)
Subject:   re: Battlemage question?

Heavy Armor and using the -flesh spells. Best Armor rating in the game can be obtained this way. You can also enchant the armor to do what the robes would do, and you have better protection than either offer. ^^;

Author:   Justin
Date:   Nov 20, 11 at 3:46am (PST)
What do you recommend a Breton using? I'm trading off with conjugation, destruction and restoration magic and attack from mid-close ranges with firebolt, etc. I've been using Novice robes / necromancer robes because of the magick regen., but should I pick up some heavier armor? I take so much damage from enemies at the moment with only the robes, but they look cool. :3

Date:   Nov 20, 11 at 3:52am (PST)

I would use the robes + best Heavy Armor gloves/boots you can get a hold of. If you want, take up Smithing and craft some yourself. Once you get 100 Enchanting, you can enchant your Heavy Armor, which should be Daedric by then to be better than robes. (:

As for combat, I'd use Conjuration and Alteration pre battle to help you once the battle starts. Casting things like a Familiar/Atronach and Oakflesh (Or better) makes things a lot easier on yourself. If you have the mana, throwing down a rune wouldn't hurt either, but they are rather expensive cost... As for a straight attack spell, any Fire type attack is great because it has the best DPS. ^^; Though nothing special like drain stam/mana like Shock/Frost. If you are fighting a boss (Or harder enemy) I'd suggest using a Shock or Frost spell to drain whatever they primarily use. :3

Oh, as for which weapon to use, since this is a Battlemage. I would go with either Mace or Axe. Axe gives you DoT with Bleeds if you perk for it, which you should. Maces ignore armor, should you perk for it, again, you should do so. I favor Maces.

As for the reason I don't like swords, is because all they do if increase crit chance. Mages aren't really about spike damage, but more constant damage or DoTs and some CC. So~ Leave crits to the Archers and Rogues imho.

Author:   Justin
Date:   Nov 20, 11 at 4:13am (PST)
I've been pretty bad with leveling alteration, as destruction and/or conjugation sounds like the obvious bad ass, here. I tend to forget to use Oakflesh, but I definitely should. I usually summon a Flame Atronarch and put runes down, but by that time my Magicka is usually depleted.

I've got a Ghostblade that I found while on a mission, as well as "bound: Blade" because they're both pretty good melee weapons that I have. I do have Blessed Mace which I used to use before I got the blades. Not sure which to roll with, to be honest. I need a good back up when my Magicka runs out, because I keep dying! Even with dual blades, I rarely do enough damage to actually mean something.

Author:   Tiger go Meow
Date:   Nov 20, 11 at 4:26am (PST)
In the Alteration Branch there is perks to multiply the benefit of the Flesh spells as long as you are wearing no armor at all...

I'm actually playing with it along with Double Casting Alteration which helps increase the duration. So Oakflesh Double Casted with x2 modify gives me like 80 Armor for 2 minutes, roughly. That's at the Novice level. I haven't got that far yet, but that's better than my new thief character who is still in just leathers.

Date:   Nov 20, 11 at 4:50am (PST)

If you don't take those perks and wear Heavy Armor, Dual Casting Ebonyflesh, it's better than any armor you can get any other way. (: You can easily get 400+ Armor Rating, lol. It's amazing. :3

Author:   Pilaf
Date:   Nov 20, 11 at 5:48am (PST)
There's no such thing as "best". The traditional DnD and Elder Scrolls version of a Battlemage wears plate armor or sometimes chainmail, but the literal definition of a Battlemage in Tamriel is someone whose primary discipline is the college of Destruction. These people usually carry a sword or axe as well. Beyond that, go with whatever playstyle suits you. You don't need armor to protect yourself but it doesn't hurt.

Author:   Christian101
Date:   Oct 03, 12 at 11:40am (PST)
quote Twilight

I would use the robes + best Heavy Armor gloves/boots you can get a hold of. If you want, take up Smithing and craft some yourself. Once you get 100 Enchanting, you can enchant your Heavy Armor, which should be Daedric by then to be better than robes. (:

As for combat, I'd use Conjuration and Alteration pre battle to help you once the battle starts. Casting things like a Familiar/Atronach and Oakflesh (Or better) makes things a lot easier on yourself. If you have the mana, throwing down a rune wouldn't hurt either, but they are rather expensive cost... As for a straight attack spell, any Fire type attack is great because it has the best DPS. ^^; Though nothing special like drain stam/mana like Shock/Frost. If you are fighting a boss (Or harder enemy) I'd suggest using a Shock or Frost spell to drain whatever they primarily use. :3

Oh, as for which weapon to use, since this is a Battlemage. I would go with either Mace or Axe. Axe gives you DoT with Bleeds if you perk for it, which you should. Maces ignore armor, should you perk for it, again, you should do so. I favor Maces.

As for the reason I don't like swords, is because all they do if increase crit chance. Mages aren't really about spike damage, but more constant damage or DoTs and some CC. So~ Leave crits to the Archers and Rogues imho.

Use heavy armor, enchant wit with robe effects, use chillrend and a destruction spell, also reccomended using stone flesh at beginner levels, lightning or frost is reccomended not, flames. Up smithing and enchanting after you get battle mage ready, battle mage is a slow class to fuly upgrade but it will eventually be really powerful.

Author:   CatouttaHell
Date:   Oct 03, 12 at 12:10pm (PST)
All Mages in Skyrim, with the exception of some Vampires rely on Alteration instead of armour so I would use that. Light Armour is pretty good too though. Heavy Armour sucks.

Author:   SimDalmatian
Date:   Oct 03, 12 at 3:45pm (PST)
The armour type you should use depends on the type of battlemage you wish to play as. If you like confronting enemies head on and mainly rely on melee then go heavy. If you like to cast spells from a distance and use melee only when they get to close, use light armour. If you want to try and avoid direct confrontation and only use melee when you run out of magicka, use robes. If you want you can mix and match to fit your style you can. Only use maces when you use mainly heavy armour. The laces are powerful but very slow allowing your enemy to hit you and you will be unable to block their attacks, so the heavy armour will add that defence. If you use robes certainly use a shield. It might not sound very battle-magey but it will save your life on numerous occasions. You could substitute that with alteration but it's temporary and costs magicka, although it won't matter as much seeing as you have weapons as another offence. Finally, take into account there are different types of "battlemage". The classic battlemage generally uses heavy armour but focuses much more on magic. There's also a Spellsword, Crusader, Sorcerer, Witchhunter and Knight, all of which use both weapons and magic. Google them to see what you like.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.