Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Only create one character? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/52479/t1697141-only-create-one-character/

Author:   TheESCapist
Date:   Nov 16, 11 at 5:33pm (PST)
Subject:   Only create one character?
-------------------------------------------
My friend has Skyrim ( I don't yet...sobsob) he says he had a character went to start a new game to create a new one and it overrided his character and he had to start again. I doubt this because it's just a game flaw that bethesda would not make and everyone is always talking about numerous characters. Is he just retarded?

Author:   THE ELITE TITAN
Date:   Nov 16, 11 at 8:51pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Only create one character?
i think he might have just saved over his other one or didnt save at all just used auto save cause ive made more than one

Author:   NinjaPants
Date:   Nov 16, 11 at 9:01pm (PST)
Yeah he saved over his previous game...

Date:   Nov 16, 11 at 9:07pm (PST)
quote NinjaPants
Yeah he saved over his previous game...
Wow what a imbecile thanks amyway.

Author:   FurbyKiller713
Date:   Nov 16, 11 at 9:32pm (PST)
No. I've created a new game with multiple saves and didn't overwrite and it deleted all my previous save files.

Author:   Justin
Date:   Nov 17, 11 at 2:07am (PST)
So we are or aren't allowed to have two characters? Was pretty confident that we could, but the post above me makes me wary. =\ I was planning on making a Khajjit soon, but not if that means I need to eliminate my Breton file! D: Hoping to hear that we can have multiple files.

Author:   Auxilium
Date:   Nov 17, 11 at 2:22am (PST)
One way could be to save one to the memory card while the other is on the HDD, but I would assume you could have more then 1 on any memory device.

It wouldn't make sense to not allow it.

Edit: From what I've read, you can have multiple characters but they will be relying on manual saves as the autos will be overwritten by whichever one your playing. There's no character save separation.

Author:   TheWickerman101
Date:   Nov 17, 11 at 3:54am (PST)
I have the same problem. When I would start a new game, I would play for a bit and when I went to save the only save file was when you get off the cart at the start of the game. :/

Author:   Krantos
Date:   Nov 17, 11 at 4:33am (PST)
I think it's funny really, how many people don't realize you have to manually save your game.

On that note, however, I do think it's annoying that Bethesda hasn't incorporated separate save folders for each character. It's one of the things BioWare does that I really like.

The way it works is that when you go to the load menu, it gives you the option to choose which character you want to load and then brings up the saves for that character. It also keeps autosaves and quicksaves separate for each character as well.

It's really nice for people like me who like to have lots of characters. In Oblivion, Morrowind, and now Skyrim, I have to scroll through a stupidly long list of saves before I can find the one I want.

Of course it doesn't help that I keep 3-4 rotating saves for each character, but that's just good practice.

Author:   Fragment of Chaos
Date:   Nov 17, 11 at 5:23am (PST)
I've made so many characters just because the first time I messed up my perks and skills, the second time my character had horrible eyebrows, and my latest character is a Khajiit because I got tired of seeing humans.

I've spent a lot of hours even in the failed characters and each time I remade a character, I didn't once get bored. Other then watching the intro of course, because I saved over the character creation save. Yes, the game creates a save when you get into character creation. Which is rather great... as long as you don't save over it.

Author:   Aeirou
Date:   Nov 17, 11 at 5:47am (PST)
quote Krantos
I think it's funny really, how many people don't realize you have to manually save your game.
Creating a new character auto saves over your last manual save right when you get to the create screen in Helgan.

quote TheESCapist
quote THE ELITE TITAN
i think he might have just saved over his other one or didnt save at all just used auto save cause ive made more than one
Both of you can read above.

I tried it myself just because I felt like messing around with the create option when I was hours into the game. Fortunately, I had 3 saves for that character because the game auto'd on my latest manual save.

Date:   Nov 17, 11 at 7:47am (PST)
Right so if u have a manual save for one character and make a new save and character you can stil have your old character?

Author:   Aeirou
Date:   Nov 17, 11 at 7:58am (PST)
quote TheESCapist
Right so if u have a manual save for one character and make a new save and character you can stil have your old character?
If you make more than one save for your first character, the new character will save over that last save that was updated.

Author:   THE ELITE TITAN
Date:   Nov 17, 11 at 8:09am (PST)
quote Aeirou
quote Krantos
Creating a new character auto saves over your last manual save right when you get to the create screen in Helgan.

quote TheESCapist
quote THE ELITE TITAN
Both of you can read above.

I tried it myself just because I felt like messing around with the create option when I was hours into the game. Fortunately, I had 3 saves for that character because the game auto'd on my latest manual save.
well i really think he just saved over his other one cause ive made two others besides my first one and have not had that problem

Author:   LloydToS
Date:   Nov 17, 11 at 9:41am (PST)
It could be a console problem. On PC I can confirm that you can have tons of characters as long as you make multiple manual saves for them.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.