Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Introductions: Welcome to Skyrim! - page 3

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/52479/t1602063-introductions-welcome-to-skyrim/3.htm

Author:   Wet Won
Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 1:31am (PST)
Subject:   re: Introductions: Welcome to Skyrim!
-------------------------------------------
I've... never played morrowind. Anyone want to explain what it is you're talking about for the poor uninformed?

Author:   Moop
Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 1:42am (PST)
Morrowind was the first 'real 3d' Elder Scrolls game (Apart from Redguard, if you'd classify that as real 3d). It's not as visually appealing compared to Oblivion, but it's rich with brilliant content, and because of it doesn't have fast travel, you can really admire the land. If you've played Oblivion, you'll notice Cyrodiil is really just green, lush landscape with trees.

Morrowind has different biomes, you can go from a grassland with giant mushrooms to a strange, rocky/grassy biome with buildings made entirely of roots and then to a barren, red dirt land that suffers from constant sand storms.

Ah, I could go on about it for hours, I'd recommend you getting it. You'll love it, trust me

Author:   Krantos
Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 1:59am (PST)
quote Moop
because it doesn't have fast travel, you can really admire the land.
Because we all know, if a game includes a mechanic, you're required to use it.

quote Moop
If you've played Oblivion, you'll notice Cyrodiil is really just green, lush landscape with trees.
See, I keep seeing this complaint crop up, and I don't understand it. Yes, Morrowind's terrain was more fanciful, but there were definitely several distinct geographic regions in Oblivion. The Gold Coast was plains and rolling hills moving into the Colovian Highlands to the North; centrally (around Skingrad/Chorrol) was the great forest; North were the Jarel Mountains, covered in snow and coniferous trees; to the east were the Valus Mountains (not as densely forested as the Great forest and lower than the Jarel); and south was Blackwood, which was, simply, a marsh. They may be more mundane than Morrowind's but they are still distinct.

Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 2:01am (PST)
It's not a complaint as such Krantos, but Oblivion seemed to 'real' for me. It had distinct areas, yes, but they didn't include that touch of fantasy that I love. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game to bits and the SI added that bit (Well, overload) of fantasy that made it even better.

Author:   BluePhoenix
Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 2:01am (PST)
I agree with Krantos you cant generalise Cyrodiil that much, not to mention it had really good weather and lighting too, man i love how bright Oblivion can be at times.

Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 2:15am (PST)
Well I was talking about the storyline with the reincarnation you were talking about but I also appreciate the other info.

Also do yall know if morrowind is backward compatible on the 360?

Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 2:30am (PST)
Oh, the storyline is great. You start of doing petty jobs, and finally you get told about the prophecy. You've gotta do things like unite all of the Great Houses and the tribes, you even venture out to find your ring, Moon and Star.

Yes, it should be backwards compatible. If it isn't, you could pick up a PC version cheap and it's not demanding at all. You could probably play it almost anything.

Author:   BluePhoenix
Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 2:54am (PST)
Morrowind is indeed backwards compatible on the 360 so its all good and you can get the GOTY dirt cheap now.

Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 3:29am (PST)
All righty then! As soon as I have my car fixed/renew it's registration/pay off a ticket I should have enough money for super fun times!

Author:   donkeypuncher33
Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 3:33am (PST)
hey everyone. oblivion was my first elder scrolls title and so this is actually the first time i have had to wait for a sequel. and it sucks since oblivion is one of my favorite games. i plan on participating more in this forum than the oblivion forum.

Author:   Robot Hive
Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 8:03am (PST)
i'm that awesome dude you've heard about.

Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 8:19am (PST)
Lost, you've got exactly the same custom title as me. I guess great minds thing alike.

Author:   Robot Hive
Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 8:22am (PST)
Ah, wait right there.

EDIT: do for now. i got to go

Date:   Dec 14, 10 at 8:48am (PST)
Hurry up E3, please. I want moar Skyrim

Author:   Morrowind God
Date:   Dec 15, 10 at 2:57am (PST)
Wow Morrowind is still a favorite but this game will probably top Oblivion, Morrowind, and Daggerfall. I just can not wait!

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.