Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Your phone - page 6

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51688/t1579456-your-phone/6.htm

Author:   Danger
Date:   Jan 07, 11 at 12:08am (PST)
Subject:   re: Your phone
-------------------------------------------
Not sure if you'll have this option since it's different phones and I have the more updated OS but do you have "Background Data" enabled? This is the option that allows programs to load up to receive updates/notifications in the background.

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Jan 07, 11 at 12:21am (PST)
quote milleniummanp7
Why exactly does android not close programs when you exit them? Advanced Task Killer is a must for preserving battery
One thing though. Why, after I kill them, do a load of apps appear again despite me not having opened them?

This message was edited by milleniummanp7 on Jan 06 2011.

A) It's called multitasking

B) Because Android sucks like that

webOS rocks multitasking because you can clearly see that apps are still running and nothing can run unless you let it.

Author:   milleniummanp7
Date:   Jan 07, 11 at 4:23pm (PST)
Yeah but when multitasking it's not really necessary to run every program even when you're not using them. Seems a bit pointless to me

Danger I definitely do have it - I saw it the other day and thought nothing of it, but I can't find it

For the moment I've just went into my app manager and stopped the main culprits (Sky News, Alarm Clock and Gmail) from loading without my say so.
If I turn off background data, will that affect my notifications such as facebook and messages?

Author:   tommex
Date:   Jan 07, 11 at 7:33pm (PST)
Why on earth would you stop Gmail? I am shocked!

I don't think turning off background data will stop Facebook or text notifications, as they're done via your phone's network connection and not via your phone's local software...

I may have worded that terribly, I'm watching Dr. Who...

Date:   Jan 07, 11 at 9:43pm (PST)
I'm not really a Gmail user. I find it better than Hotmail, but it's generally to much hassle to move anything to Gmail and I like to keep everything under the same account

Wasn't going to entirely get rid of it though since all my android emails go there - I just want to stop it constantly running in the background

Date:   Jan 07, 11 at 9:46pm (PST)
Fair enough, I suppose.

Tell me you at least sync all your contacts to your Gmail account?

Date:   Jan 07, 11 at 9:54pm (PST)
There's really no need for me. I don't send emails to contacts or whatever (bar the odd joke). I'm 16, Facebook and MSN do the job for me

It's primarily for the multiple websites I sign up to

Google Mail does look so much better though. I toyed with the idea last night of sending all my mails to them for a month and gradually changing the email address on everything, but just decided it'd be too much hassle

Date:   Jan 07, 11 at 10:12pm (PST)
Oh no, I didn't mean to email them. It's just when you sync your contacts with your Gmail account, then you have them all in the cloud, and when you activate your Gmail account on another Android device, you'll have them all there. Same goes for if you lose your phone. You'll have them all remotely stored.

Date:   Jan 07, 11 at 10:44pm (PST)
Ooh that's handy. Just done that

Just downloaded aging booth.

Author:   Danger
Date:   Jan 07, 11 at 11:39pm (PST)
Disabling background data does stop Facebook notifications from automatically happening without you opening Facebook to manually get your notifications. I have background data disabled to save battery life and I check Facebook regularly enough to not need notifications pushed to my phone anyway. Same goes for e-mail and a few other apps.

Author:   Reason
Date:   Jan 08, 11 at 5:50pm (PST)
Thanks for that Danger, just disabled mine.

Date:   Jan 09, 11 at 12:44am (PST)
What exactly does matching contacts with HTC sence for facebook, twitter, google etc do?

It suggested a ton of matches to me today, but I know for a fact that most of these people don't actually own HTC phones (ie my sister and my best mate)

All I've noticed is that in my messages I see their facebook picture and it somewhat annoyingly displays their whole contact number before every message

Date:   Jan 09, 11 at 3:03am (PST)
What it means is that the contacts are stored in the facebook for htc sense app, not that they have it themselves.

Also, if you link a number to a facebook profile, it just stores all of the information concerning that contact in one place, which I think is handy, as I have a whole lot of contacts compacted with the way it works.

Also, that full phone number thing in texts seems to be a thing with new sense, as my housemate's Desire Z has this problem, but my original Desire doesn't. I'll look into it for you.

Date:   Jan 10, 11 at 12:07am (PST)
The issue with not getting notifications is dementing me

Message alerts are totally inconsistent and two times out of three my phone does not ring or display the message icon in the corner - I have to manually go into messages and check them

Particularly annoying as you can imagine, but apparently it's a common problem on the latest software

Needs fixed instantly.

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Feb 10, 11 at 8:15am (PST)
I got a Samsung Galaxy GT-I9000M. Got it as an early Christmas present. Much better than using a flip phone.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.