Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Man of Steel (Pre-Release Discussion) - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51/t772718-man-of-steel-pre-release-discussion/2.htm

Author:   ILT2M
Date:   Nov 10, 06 at 8:14pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Man of Steel (Pre-Release Discussion)
-------------------------------------------
Basically Singer is making another movie with a Superhero that cannot even come close to death. I mean how fun is that? Lets watch an invincible person kick everyones ass. Wheres the fun in that? Spiderman is awesome, Superman is overdone.

Author:   DragonMaster Dyne
Date:   Nov 10, 06 at 8:15pm (PST)
quote Mister MacPhisto
For some odd reason I thought heroism involved riskong one's own well being in the process of helping/protecting/rescuing others.
You didn't need to really ramble on about that bullshit, such as the Superman Universe being totally absurb in regards to the power he has, and how none of them could even apply to todays world. I know the entire thing is "Out of this world" and involves abilities that the real world could never experience.

That doesn't change the fact that Supes should not have been able to carry a gigantic island out into space when it is spiked with Kryptonite. Last I checked, the shit killed him, not gave him extra strength when carrying incredibly heavy objects.

Author:   jahendricksi
Date:   Nov 10, 06 at 8:19pm (PST)
quote ILT2M
Basically Singer is making another movie with a Superhero that cannot even come close to death. I mean how fun is that? Lets watch an invincible person kick everyones ass. Wheres the fun in that? Spiderman is awesome, Superman is overdone.
That is the difficulty writing and caring about Superman. He really isn't "one of us." Batman has had many different writers, and the stories are much better since Batman is really a human without special abilities (except his unrelenting will). Maybe that is why I appreciate The Death of Superman (his battle with Doomsday) so much since he does die and has to come to the same terms that mortals do daily.

Date:   Nov 10, 06 at 8:26pm (PST)
I'm glad you agree. Thats exactly why I never liked the show, movies or comics. Just unrealistic.

Author:   Mister MacPhisto
Date:   Nov 12, 06 at 4:09am (PST)
quote DragonMaster_Dyne
quote Mister MacPhisto
For some odd reason I thought heroism involved riskong one's own well being in the process of helping/protecting/rescuing others.
You didn't need to really ramble on about that bullshit, such as the Superman Universe being totally absurb in regards to the power he has, and how none of them could even apply to todays world. I know the entire thing is "Out of this world" and involves abilities that the real world could never experience.

That doesn't change the fact that Supes should not have been able to carry a gigantic island out into space when it is spiked with Kryptonite. Last I checked, the shit killed him, not gave him extra strength when carrying incredibly heavy objects.

I always find it funny how a thoroughly supported yet dissenting opinion is considered bullshit. Fascinating.

Yes, green K kills Superman sooner or later. He doesn't let that stop him from being a hero. After all, the more powerful the hero... the greater the need for an Achilles heel (hence the term). Part of the formula of the hero story is resisting or possibly overcoming the said weakness in the pursuit of heroic deeds.

Of course, one could always go into the messiah allegory and symbolism... but that might be too much bullshit for some.

Author:   The Living Angelus
Date:   Nov 12, 06 at 4:18am (PST)
Not to mention he rejuvenated himself via the sun. I just assumed it was enough for him to lift an entire continent made up of freakin' Kryptonite.

Author:   UltimateLuigi
Date:   Nov 12, 06 at 5:20am (PST)
quote ILT2M
I know my point. Superman is as pointless as the 2004 presendential elections.

edit - the 1500th post whoopee.

Author:   chubbie huicho
Date:   Nov 13, 06 at 6:35am (PST)
I think Superman Returns Again should be good since its a Superman movie and hey always like spend lots of money making them so yeah i might watch it

Date:   Nov 13, 06 at 4:16pm (PST)
I don't think I'm going to even bother to haul my ass over to the theater.

Date:   Nov 14, 06 at 12:03am (PST)
Singer did much better with X-Men 2 than he did with X-Men, so maybe Superman...uh, "2" will be better than his first Superman film.

I would really like to see the Doomsday story carried out, and I think the humanizing effect of being a father could make it even more poignant.

Author:   Fifth Column
Date:   Nov 14, 06 at 5:05am (PST)
God the first one sucked.

Date:   Nov 15, 06 at 7:05pm (PST)
quote The Living Angelus
Not to mention he rejuvenated himself via the sun. I just assumed it was enough for him to lift an entire continent made up of freakin' Kryptonite.
That too.

It's not like it was the case of Superman exerting control over time itself or moving entire planets. Both of which he's been known to do in the past.

Mongul or Brainiac would be so much fun for a sequel. I'd prefer either one over Doomsday.

Date:   Nov 15, 06 at 11:08pm (PST)
quote Mister MacPhisto
Mongul or Brainiac would be so much fun for a sequel. I'd prefer either one over Doomsday.
Braniac would be nice. The problem with Braniac is the same one you have with Lex Luthor: when it comes down to it, they can't really compete with Superman. Sure they can come up with great schemes, but that is all they have and Supes (not the brightest superhero) always can get out of them.

I think the Doomsday battle where Superman dies would be very good to do. I think Singer might be attracted to it as well, since he pulls an Alex Ross and tries to "humanize" the superheroes by having them grapple with real people issues (the gay/mutant gene subplot in X2 being a great example).

Date:   Nov 16, 06 at 7:10pm (PST)
Actually, Brainiac can compete with Superman depending on which version of the character(such as the Brainiac 13 form or the Coluan alien). Brainiac's main problem is he's repetitibve due to the upgraded forms, robot minions, robot doubles, etc.

Date:   Nov 16, 06 at 10:12pm (PST)
Sorry, I was going with the non-Coluan one. I would say I was referencing the "traditional" Braniac, but who knows what that means anymore?

It will be interesting to see who Singer pits as the villian. I am actually pretty intrigued now.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.