Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Man of Steel (Pre-Release Discussion) - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51/t772718-man-of-steel-pre-release-discussion/

Author:   The Living Angelus
Date:   Oct 27, 06 at 3:39am (PST)
Subject:   Man of Steel (Pre-Release Discussion)
-------------------------------------------
Director Speaks On Sequels Fate
Bryan Singer on the Superman Sequel

September 24, 2006 - TODAYonline caught up with Superman Returns director Bryan Singer, who talked a bit more about the sequel. Here's a clip:

However, at July's annual Comic Con International in San Diego, a convention of comic book, film and science fiction fans, Singer had revealed that the follow-up film would have more action.

"I plan to get all 'Wrath of Khan' on it," he told convention goers at the time, referring to the 1982 film Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. Asked to expand on his remarks, Singer told TODAY: "What I was referring to was the fact that, when you do a first film like X-Men, for example, you're introducing a world and a set of characters.

"Once those characters are introduced, once we've lived with them for awhile and we know them, when you get into a second film like an Empire Strikes Back (sequel to Star Wars: A New Hope) or a Wrath of Khan, you can make an action-adventure film and you don't have to bank all that time getting to know the characters. Now you can raise the stakes, raise the jeopardy and make a leaner, meaner movie."
Superman Returns Sequel Moving Ahead?
Studio Apparantly Green-lights Sequel

quote SHH!
October 26, 2006 - IESB.net has potentially good news for Superman fans. Here's the article:

With Superman Returns breaking $200 Million domestically and a worldwide gross of over $390 million, Warner Bros. is moving forward with the sequel.

ImageWeeks before the DVD has it's grandiose release, the IESB has learned that Bryan Singer has finalized a deal to move forward with the sequel this past weekend and the studio is planning to start production sometime next fall, possibly next September.

When the IESB contacted a studio rep for comments we got this response - Warner Bros. does not comment on projects that are in development. A few calls later, other studio insiders confirmed that the deal was finalized last week and the team that brought Superman Returns to theaters earlier this year will return for the sequel.

We have been told that a couple of things are for certain. For one, the sequel will have a slightly smaller budget. Returns budget was approximately $208 million dollars with P&A (prints and ads) of about $50 million putting it at around $260. The sequel is expected to be around $140-175 million plus marketing.

Second, more action, tons more action is expected this time around. The studio was quite happy with the way Supes was reintroduced to the world and next time around expect to see him in full action battle mode. We've been told that Superman will have the battle of his life in the sequel and audiences can expect one of the ultimate baddies in the D.C. universe to come to Metropolis to pick a fight with the Man of Steel.
Same article, different source. JoBlo makes it sound funnier.

quote JoBlo
October 26, 2006 - The sexy beasts at IESB have received confirmation that a sequel to SUPERMAN RETURNS is a go at Warner Bros. under the first movie's creative team (including Bryan Singer), which I don't think should come as a surprise to anyone. Sure, RETURNS underperformed at the box office according to expectations but it just hit $200 million dollars domestic, which just about covers its production budget, and its $390 million worldwide gross is upwards of 125 million more than its total cost with marketing. Soon to come are DVD sales. Even if the movie had done bad enough to break even, the studio wouldn't be so quick to let such a huge property die without trying to rework and repackage it. So yeah, if another HULK movie is going to hit theaters, SUPERMAN's mortality was never an issue. There are, of course, going to be some changes. According to IESB's sources, the sequel's going to see a budget cutback to the $140-175 mil range (the first one's budget may have been unnecessarily bloated anyway) and the studio apparently wants a considerably more action-oriented movie this time around. So, anyone honestly surprised?

Extra Tidbit: Not the most obscure bit of info, but Bryan Singer eliminated General Zod from the SUPERMAN script when he learned that Jude Law, his only choice, wouldn't be available. That's just pretty cool.
What I still find funny about the first article with Singer, is he uses X-men as an example but no mention of X2. Why? Because X2 sucked. It was just as boring as the first. Let me explain: I could let X-men pass as "good" because it was an introduction to the characters and X-men universe and it succeeded in doing so, but X2 was the sequel. It should have been huge, balls-to-the-wall action. But instead it was just plain boring with *bleep*-teases left and right of mutants who should have had MORE screen-time and more battle scenes (ie. Colossus anyone???). Singer dropped the ball on that one, and although X3 was no where near perfection, at least Brent Ratner gave us plenty of mutant action in the film. Superman Returns felt exactly as X-men 1 & 2 did; while I was entertained for the most part, I just left the theater wanting M-O-R-E! There wasn't enough action spaced properly throughout the film. I saw a comment at JoBlo that hit the nail on the head:

I was sooo excited to see Superman Returns that I drove 50 miles to the nearest Imax theater and I left with a sort of Ho-Hum attitude about it. I didn't hate it, but I felt there could be better. Maybe a step in the direction of Director. Let's look at getting people who really KNOW the genre. We need someone with a frsh concept and not just an "I heart Superman" Attitude. I want to see the nitty gritty feel of Guy Ritchie, but with a Sam Raimi quality to it! What do ya think?

I completely agree with this user, except the whole drive 50 miles thing. I only had to drive down the block. Couldn't imagine driving that distance and having the same disappointment. Instead I probably would have been pissed at the film instead of the "meh" attitude I have for it.

[color=#666666]This message was edited on 2013-06-14T03:44:50-07:00.

Author:   Pyroguy
Date:   Oct 27, 06 at 3:47am (PST)
Subject:   re: Man of Steel (Pre-Release Discussion)
I was extremely satisfied with the first one, despite the severe lack of Superman actually fighting anyone. If they take the second one in a more action oriented direction, and introduce an enemeny that he can actually kick around and vice versa, I'll be even more safisfied. Lex Luthor's cool and all, especially since he's Superman's arch-enemy, and I thought they did a great job with him in the first movie and still keeping it entertaining the whole way through, but nothing can compare to how *bleep*ing cool Superman and a tough as nails baddie duking it out would be.

Author:   Lavitz
Date:   Oct 27, 06 at 5:56am (PST)
I don't care how many ppl were disappointed with Returns, I dug it. I dug it lots. Me, not being a huge Superman fan (not seeing the originals) didn't know what to expect or have my hopes up high enough to be completely let down like most viewers were.

I thought it was great, and I'd love to see another.

Author:   Hawkeye
Date:   Oct 27, 06 at 3:23pm (PST)
They totally dropped the ball with the first one.

The second we saw Superboy, they *bleep*ed this series up.

Author:   King
Date:   Oct 27, 06 at 7:20pm (PST)
That's good news, I personally enjoyed Superman Returns. The direction for the sequel (more action etc.) sounds even better.

Has anyone seen Kate Bosworth lately though? I was standing in line at Krogers saw a magazine, and that bitch is damn near anorexic. I think they made need to cast a new Lois Lane.

Date:   Oct 27, 06 at 7:32pm (PST)
I'll tell you where you WON'T find Kate Bosworth...any restaurants or food chains.

Author:   King
Date:   Oct 27, 06 at 7:34pm (PST)
Got that right, She use to be decent but she looks like shit now. I wouldn't want her playing Lois Lane looking the way she does now.

Author:   Slacker
Date:   Oct 27, 06 at 9:24pm (PST)
I liked Superman Returns, but I'm excited to watch it again on DVD. I saw it once in theaters, but I went with my girlfriend and she brought a bottle of Crown in her purse. So I got pretty trashed, since it's a long movie. I really want to watch it again, since the second half of it is pretty fuzzy.

Author:   Super Hero
Date:   Oct 30, 06 at 10:28am (PST)
who votes for margot kidders return?

Author:   Big Willie
Date:   Oct 30, 06 at 1:34pm (PST)
quote Phantasy_Lord
They totally dropped the ball with the first one.

The second we saw Superboy, they *bleep*ed this series up.
Agreed, they kind of painted themselves in a corner with that one...

Date:   Oct 30, 06 at 9:11pm (PST)
Singer's Superman Sequel Deal Confirmed
Source: Variety October 30, 2006

Variety has confirmed that Bryan Singer has signed a deal with Warner Bros. Pictures to direct and produce a sequel to Superman Returns, with Legendary Pictures expected to co-finance.

The film is tentatively intended for release in summer 2009, although the studio stressed that there's not even a script or budget yet.

The sequel is apparently at the very beginning of the development process and, as with any other project, there are any number of factors that must be addressed before it is greenlit.

While Superman Returns wasn't the performer the studio had hoped for, it has earned more than $390 million worldwide and WB and Legendary say they will still turn a profit from the film.

The two companies are sure to insist that the sequel's production budget comes in under $200 million, adds the trade.

In terms of casting, Warner Bros. has an option on Superman Returns star Brandon Routh.

Date:   Nov 09, 06 at 6:24pm (PST)
Singer Begins Planning Superman Sequel
Source: The Honolulu Advertiser November 9, 2006

Superman Returns executive producer Chris Lee, director Bryan Singer and producer Jon Peters are in Honolulu this week to celebrate Lee's birthday, and to begin planning the next "Superman" film, which will likely begin production mid- to late next year in a location yet to be determined.

According to The Honolulu Advertiser, Singer acknowledged that he has also been approached to direct the fourth "X-Men" movie, but said he wouldn't have time to take on another large-scale project before the next "Superman" gets underway. He is interested, however, in seeing the script for the "X-Men" spinoff Wolverine.

The Untitled Superman Returns Sequel is targeted for a summer 2009 release.

Author:   DragonMaster Dyne
Date:   Nov 09, 06 at 9:34pm (PST)
The first movie wasn't that great.

Sure, it was entertaining, but some of the sequences near the end were just ridiculous, and made absolutely no sense. Supes in a hospital was lame, and him being able to carry that piece of land into the atmosphere when it is filled with kryptonite? Yeah, ridiculous.

And him having a child!? Just GTFO, Singer.

Author:   Mister MacPhisto
Date:   Nov 10, 06 at 7:05pm (PST)
quote DragonMaster_Dyne

Sure, it was entertaining, but some of the sequences near the end were just ridiculous, and made absolutely no sense. Supes in a hospital was lame, and him being able to carry that piece of land into the atmosphere when it is filled with kryptonite? Yeah, ridiculous.
Absolutely ridiculous. Okay.

The idea of a person being granted the ability to project heat from his eyes, look though solid objects, attain escape velocity via self-sustained flight, survive atmospheric reentry unshielded, have bullets bounce off of the cornea of the eye, put out an inferno by exhaling, lift an airliner, hear a conversation miles away, etc. etc. by getting a tan from a yellow sun is normal. Damn, I was cheated.

Yep, all that's fine, but exerting oneself to the brink of exhaustion and possible death is ridiculous.

For some odd reason I thought heroism involved riskong one's own well being in the process of helping/protecting/rescuing others.

There were some... freedoms taken with the character, but all had been done before. It was still easily recognizable as a Superman story.

Perhaps the kyptonite-laden island should have been disposed of by reversing time flying around the world to reverse its axial revolution instead.

I'm all for another film. How else will we have a chance at seeing the bottle city of Kandor, Brainiac, the Phantom Zone, Metallo, Parasite, Bizarro, Titano, Doomsday, Eradicator, Mongul, Warworld, or anything else from the Superman mythos?

Author:   jahendricksi
Date:   Nov 10, 06 at 8:07pm (PST)
I would like to see the Doomsday battle. The Death of Superman--World without a Superman--Return of Superman trilogy was one of the better recent ones that I can think of (Frank Miller, take note). It would be nice to see Singer bring in Supes mortality (again) to the equation, so what you mentioned regarding heroism, Mister MacPhisto, can be brought out.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.