Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Pre-Release Discussion) - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51/t317214-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-pre-release-discussion/

Author:   The Living Angelus
Date:   Dec 03, 03 at 10:48am (PST)
Subject:   The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Pre-Release Discussion)
-------------------------------------------
New Line Pursues Hobbit Rights
The fate of the franchise may lie with the Tolkien estate.

December 02, 2003 - Keen to build on the success of its three Lord of the Rings films (ROTK is a foregone conclusion), New Line Cinema is now actively pursuing the possibility of a film based on The Hobbit. According to [The Australian], however, there is a hang-up: the Tolkien Estate. It seems that Tolkien's heirs, who have already riled Peter Jackson by refusing to permit a Rings museum in Wellington, are now a stumbling-block in the way of a Lord of the Rings prequel.

"The difficulty everybody has is the Tolkien estate," Jackson said, referring to recent wrangling between New Line and Christopher Tolkien, the custodian and literary executor of his late father's estate. Jackson's next project is King Kong, which should be finished by 2006. Afterwards, Jackson would like to work with New Line on The Hobbit, provided the legal hassles get worked out.

Right now, a deal doesn't seem likely. The trilogy itself was only possible because J.R.R. Tolkien himself sold those film rights in 1969 for £10,000, a paltry amount by modern standards. His son, Christopher, doesn't believe that The Hobbit or any of his father's other works can be adequately represented on-screen, and has resisted any endorsement of the current Lord of the Rings project.

In other news, however, anticipation for The Return of the King hit new heights this week with the movie's official premiere in New Zealand. As many as 100,000 fans showed up to cheer on a Lord of the Rings parade and listen to speeches by many of the film's key actors and behind-the-camera talent. The screening itself was a private event, so Wellington's citizens will have to wait along with the rest of us for a few more weeks. All reports suggest that The Return of the King is everything we've been waiting for.
OUTRAGE!

The Hobbit would be perfect on the Big Screen if Peter Jackson were to direct it. The film could be either 3-3½ hours long, and an Extended Cut could easily be 4 hours long (to go along with the Trilogy DVDs: Theatrical and Extended)

I know Peter Jackson, and Elijah Wood believe The Hobbit should be made, and even Sir Ian McKellen has stated he'd love to return as Gandalf if the film were to be made.

Last time I heard about a possible film, there were talks about making this a Tv Series, but quite honestly, I'm all for the film and only if Peter Jackson and Ian McKellen returned. If another Director were given the rights to the film, it wouldn't have consistency...you'd notice a change, and it'd set it apart from the LOTR Trilogy. I hope Christopher Tolkien realizes the mistake he's making at this moment...

[color=#666666]This message was edited on 2012-10-24T08:03:30-07:00.

Author:   Whitecloak
Date:   Dec 03, 03 at 11:21am (PST)
Subject:   re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Pre-Release Discussion)
Misers. Hmph.

Although we technically already have a Hobbit film, somehow I just don't seem fulfilled...

That "Wonderful Journey" song is going to drive me over the edge one day...Peter Jackson doing the flick would ROCK, though. I, too, would have a serious problem going to see it without Mackellan, much less without Jackson behind the wheel. I only hope they make it before Ian Holm is too old for Bilbo...

Besides, if the Tolkien family doesn't want to see the Battle of Five Armies Jackson-style on the big screen, they're all fools and likely won't compromise anywhere.

Author:   demon buttercup
Date:   Dec 04, 03 at 10:17am (PST)
the hobbit would only work if it was amde by the same people who made the lotr trilogy. else it just seems like a cheap rip-off type movie, to cash in on the success of the other movies.

Author:   final fantasy master
Date:   Dec 04, 03 at 4:20pm (PST)
Christopher Tolkien is Gay!
They should do it! With or with out him!

Author:   The Architect
Date:   Dec 05, 03 at 8:59pm (PST)
quote final fantasy master
Christopher Tolkien is Gay!
They should do it! With or with out him!
*Stares dumbfounded* dude...Christopher Tolkien wrote a lot of the other books of Arda and Middle-Earth. It's his work too, just LotR isn't. He owned the rights to all of his father's work...If they did make a movie without he permission, it WOULD BE ILLEGAL!

Author:   Master
Date:   Dec 05, 03 at 9:47pm (PST)
lets all go to that estate and throw a protest

Author:   DarkLink
Date:   Dec 06, 03 at 12:58am (PST)
If I was Christopher Tolkien, I wouldn't let Peter Jackson make The Hobbit a movie.

He doesn't like the movies, you can't call him anything because of it. His father put in years of work to these books, and he hardly gets the credit he deserves. Only a few people who've seen the movies care about the books.

I myself, prefer the books WAY over the movies. But it would be neat to see the Hobbit as a movie. But only if Ian Mckellan and Ian Holm return.

Author:   force
Date:   Dec 06, 03 at 1:40am (PST)
well, I just started to read the hobbitt and it doesn't seem like it revolves around frodo and the rest of the fellowship. So, why would it matter if he isn't in the movie if it happens to be released?

Author:   lord_nutsack
Date:   Dec 06, 03 at 1:54am (PST)
Dude, Christopher Tolkien is a regular human being just like the rest of us, and just like the rest of us, for the right price he can be bought.

If New Line wants to put up the cash they will get they're hobbit movie.

Author:   Keith Nallawalla
Date:   Dec 06, 03 at 1:57am (PST)
i've read the hobbit and stuff, i thought the story was a lot better than the lord of the rings and it would make a great movie also, when i was in my last year of primary school, (2000) we had a poster for a puppet version of the hobbit and i heard it was really good (didn't go cos i'd never heard of it before, i remember discussing that with people after the FoTR came out and someone said that because of that there might not be a movie... i think its still possible cos that show may not have been in other countries, but the puppets looked really cool. they do have a game of the hobbit now, i haven't played it or nothin, but that should do people until a movie is made...

Author:   whos next
Date:   Dec 06, 03 at 2:27am (PST)
the hobbit game? that game looks stupid IMO. i wish they would make a prequal (obviously, the hobbit). but i have a feeling it might have a different cast. if anyone continues, it would have to be... oh crap, cant think of his name. the guy who plays bilbo... ian...anyway i would like to see it, being a big lotr fan and all...

Author:   Sunblazer
Date:   Dec 06, 03 at 11:38pm (PST)
A Hobbit movie would be awsome. I'd also love to see something about the silmarillion as well(you would have to fiddle with stuff a lot though to put that in movie form.)
As for christopher tolkien, I don't know if he can be bought. It'll take a lot of persuasion to do that though.
Btw, what else has CT done. Does he have any books are has he just been finishing his dad's ideas. It'd be awsome if he mad a sequel to lotr.

Author:   Lavitz
Date:   Dec 06, 03 at 11:52pm (PST)
quote Sunblazer
It'd be awsome if he mad a sequel to lotr.
Don't count on that one, bud.

---------------
[Angelus] - I think he meant "prequel"

This message was edited by The Living Angelus(moderator) on Dec 07 2003.

---------------
Nah, he talked about The Hobbit, The Simillarion, then CT adding on to his dads work, herego writing a sequel to the LOTR saga

This message was edited by lavitz on Dec 09 2003.

Author:   The Living Angelus
Date:   Dec 09, 03 at 10:20am (PST)
Christopher Tolkien should play Smaug!
Which Characters Would Return for The Hobbit?

December 8, 2003 - Director Peter Jackson was in Berlin this past Monday for the European premiere of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. While the rights to the project still belong to the Tolkien estate, he told the press he would like to make The Hobbit as well and work with some of the same actors again.

"I'd be interested in doing it because I think it would give continuity to the overall chapter," he said.

Many of the lead "Rings" characters do not appear in The Hobbit, but the wizard Gandalf, played by Ian McKellen, and Gollum, the cave dweller corrupted by the One Ring, do and should make a comeback. Arwen, the elf princess played by Liv Tyler, could also feature again, Jackson said.

Jackson will take a few weeks off over Christmas and then start writing the script for his next project, a remake of the classic King Kong which, like the Rings Trilogy, he will also film in New Zealand, using the same team of special effects experts.

Richard Taylor, whose special effects workshop made 48,000 props for the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and whose work earned two Oscars, says King Kong will be even better than The Lord of the Rings.

"I have every aspiration to make King Kong much cooler," he said. "It's going to be a very beautiful film."
P. Jackson got something against Hugo Weaving? Why wouldn't Elrond of Rivendell be included in that list of "returns"?

Author:   whos next
Date:   Dec 10, 03 at 12:32am (PST)
pfft, king kong better than LOTR?! it will be very hard to top a movie like LOTR

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.