Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Movies That Gave Birth To A Series And Killed A Series - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51/t1846780-movies-that-gave-birth-to-series-killed-series/

Author:   ctrl
Date:   Mar 28, 13 at 2:31pm (PST)
Subject:   Movies That Gave Birth To A Series And Killed A Series
-------------------------------------------
I assume you guys understand the title. For example, the film "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer" gave birth to the television series that Joss Whedon was the mastermind behind. And with the new Marvel films, there is now a show hitting ABC about S.H.I.E.L.D. coming out later this year. But, however, whenever a show has either reached it's peak audience or popularity, they either release a film while still airing on television, or have something in the works after the series has ended. The series Firefly is a good example, and the television show 24 is having a movie in the works as well.

Which do you think helps out the other? Do you think making a film helps a series and branches out to a larger audience with it's condensed story-telling, or do you believe shows made into films fit a certain demographic that had a following of the show, and it's the show that helps the movies?

Author:   yugiohcardplayer
Date:   Mar 29, 13 at 12:59pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Movies That Gave Birth To A Series And Killed A Series
Saw. 2 and 3 were pretty neat with an alright plot, but everything went downhill when those two writes who wrote and killed the second pirahna after the remake which was very good for its tits and gore came along as the replacements. They added an unnecessary storyline, whereupon James wan and Leigh whannel would have made it a bit better if they hadn't left.

Author:   Shinobi_razor
Date:   Mar 29, 13 at 1:18pm (PST)
i still only like the first Saw, after that point i just lost interest. it was at its best as a psychological horror film.

Author:   Lupin3rd
Date:   Mar 30, 13 at 12:06am (PST)
Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me rolled through after Season 2 of Twin Peaks failed to reach the heights of Season 1 and met with negative reception essentially putting a nail in the coffin of the franchise. That said I quite like it, and season 2.

Naked Gun hit 5 years after Police Squad! and was a worthy continuation.

X-Files: I Want To Believe was alright, well after 9 seasons were done and dusted.

Inbetweeners Movie, League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse and Ali G Indahouse can all go do one.

These all came after their respective shows so I guess they were bonuses rather than actively killing their series.

Author:   Golden Miru warrior
Date:   Mar 30, 13 at 12:58am (PST)
Any post-series movie to a series is icing on the cake. A total step up and a gift for fans, even if it's shitty like X-files/Twin Peaks.

If we're talking franchises tho, sequels are by default a bad idea. I was ranting about the matrix reloaded/revolutions just an hour or two ago.

Author:   Pedigree
Date:   Mar 30, 13 at 1:17am (PST)
There's an upcoming Hannibal series. I wonder how that'll go.

Author:   Kafani
Date:   Mar 30, 13 at 4:04am (PST)
When The Fast and the Furious came out, I never imagined it would become a series. They had a lull in the middle, 2F2F was shitty and Tokyo Drift was almost as bad. However, the newer ones are starting to get a lot better, and I'm actually looking forward to 6. They took out the ridiculous rice rockets and actually managed to turn this into a legitimate action series (occasionally with cars). I mean in Fast Five, there was pretty much only one chance for them to show a real street race, and they just faded out the scene and showed them back in the garage with a new Porsche.

Author:   Phil Anselmo
Date:   Mar 30, 13 at 8:29am (PST)
quote Kafani
When The Fast and the Furious came out, I never imagined it would become a series. They had a lull in the middle, 2F2F was shitty and Tokyo Drift was almost as bad. However, the newer ones are starting to get a lot better, and I'm actually looking forward to 6. They took out the ridiculous rice rockets and actually managed to turn this into a legitimate action series (occasionally with cars). I mean in Fast Five, there was pretty much only one chance for them to show a real street race, and they just faded out the scene and showed them back in the garage with a new Porsche.
+1

I also didn't think the Rock would have a positive impact on the films.

Author:   FirstClassReject
Date:   Mar 30, 13 at 10:48am (PST)
ha gotta go back to the 80's and 90's to remember some great Movie to Television adaptions like the Highlander movie brought upon the TV series which created a new immortal main character that would become so popular that he stars in the last movies and even takes the spot of the original.

The Pretender was a nice short lived TV drama in the 90's that ended before everything could be explained, a little while after it ended a TV movie was made and all the fans were excited to finally get some answers but if I remember correctly... that wasn't the case in that movie. lol

someone mentioned the Hannibal TV series coming out, next week I believe. I am a fan of those movies and that character, I am extremely excited for the show, they cast the perfect Hannibal so it should be amazing.

Author:   Dan_bug
Date:   Mar 30, 13 at 2:25pm (PST)
All the TNG films for Star Trek... First Contact is the only decent one but that's not really saying much.

Picard was given a total personality transplant for the movies... The movies were for the most quite dull and boring and abandoned, poorly written (plotholes galore especially in Generation), the sci-fi drama/adventure of the TV show for some cheap cliched action.

Author:   yugiohcardplayer
Date:   Mar 31, 13 at 3:51pm (PST)
I'm glad Eli Roth decided to kill hostel. The third one probably has nothing to compare since its direct to DVD and set in America. I can successfully pretend that there are only 2 hostels.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.