Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Blu Ray questions - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51/t1811757-blu-ray-questions/

Author:   smarti3
Date:   Dec 31, 12 at 11:43am (PST)
Subject:   Blu Ray questions
-------------------------------------------
Just curious as to how long Blu Ray's will be around for until the next disc format is released,

How long do you think they'll be around for ?

I got a Blu Ray player for Christmas and have already got quite the collection of Blu Rays. So far I have:

- True Grit
- Toy Story Boxset
- Inception
- Inglorious Basterds
- Paranormal Activity 1 + 3
- Safe
- The cabin in the woods

What films look really good on Blu Ray ? From what I've seen so far Toy Story is awesome and looks 10x better then what I remembered

Author:   DoorBreaker
Date:   Dec 31, 12 at 12:02pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Blu Ray questions
Sucker Punch looks AWESOME, Star Trek, and The expendables 2. To answer your question sadden to say but IMO I don't think there will be a next gen disk coming out everything is seeming to go to digital now so pretty soon everything will be streamed via internet. So it will be a next gen box.

Author:   zanderman
Date:   Dec 31, 12 at 2:14pm (PST)
quote smarti3
Just curious as to how long Blu Ray's will be around for until the next disc format is released,

How long do you think they'll be around for ?

I got a Blu Ray player for Christmas and have already got quite the collection of Blu Rays. So far I have:

- True Grit
- Toy Story Boxset
- Inception
- Inglorious Basterds
- Paranormal Activity 1 + 3
- Safe
- The cabin in the woods

What films look really good on Blu Ray ? From what I've seen so far Toy Story is awesome and looks 10x better then what I remembered
Animated things look beautiful. Finding Nemo and Monster's Inc, along with Ghibli films are just incredible. Other than that, Sunshine was real good in blu-ray and I don't feel like looking at my collection.

Author:   ctrl
Date:   Dec 31, 12 at 2:19pm (PST)
DVD's were developed and put into mass production back in 1995. Now, on the verge of being over 18 years later, DVD's still retain their presence in the hard disk market. Yes, a lot of films have been reduced in price, but solely because of the sales of Blu-Ray players, so less of a demand means less of a price. I still find myself buying them to this day.

So if you compare how long DVD's have been relevant to how progressive the media world is becoming, then one would have to think that Blu-Ray discs will be around for at least 15+ years. Wanna know why? Because a single-layered Blu-Ray disc can hold up-to 50gb. But they've pushed the technology so much so that they now have quadruple-layered discs. Which is a total of 128gb. Something that will probably become a standard with upcoming 3D film releases.

According to Wikipedia, there are over 3,500 titles currently in production on Blu-Ray discs. Not to mention all the Blu-Ray players out there with the upscaling software that actually works well with increasing the quality of DVD's.

I'm one of those guys that likes old films that have been made for Blu-Ray. It brings back nostalgia for films that were shown the way they were meant to be seen.

Suckerpunch would be better if it wasn't a shit film. :/ With that being said, I guess I'll start with my list.

• Watchmen
  • Dredd 3D comes out in 2 weeks...
  • Looper
  • The Avengers
  • Dark Knight Trilogy
  • Taken
  • Oldboy

Author:   DoorBreaker
    Date:   Dec 31, 12 at 2:27pm (PST)
    Key word is I said looks lol I didn't say anything about the movie being good. I wouldn't say the movie was aka shitty it was an aok movie.

Date:   Dec 31, 12 at 3:09pm (PST)
    No one will judge you for liking it. I promise. But yeah, to me, it blew balls. Only thing that could have saved it were topless scenes. And those were no where to be seen.

Author:   bruin
    Date:   Dec 31, 12 at 4:46pm (PST)
    Man, there are so many. I was blown away by The Lord of the Rings trilogy on Bluray. Just looked awesome on my big LCD. Uhh, The Dark Knight, Avatar, Up + most of the Pixar films, Star Trek, Blade Runner, Scott Pilgrim... and some others that were already mentioned.

Documentaries like Planet Earth and Oceans look *bleep*ing awesome as well.

Author:   Big A2
    Date:   Dec 31, 12 at 10:58pm (PST)
    Yes, Blade Runner looks fantastic and the HD goes to show how the special effects and set design still hold up brilliantly today. Taxi Driver is another favourite of mine. It's not the cleanest in terms of grain (which isn't always a bad thing) but it has this beautifully warm, deep, and detailed transfer. It's almost like watching a copy of the original negative.

If you want a list of every Blu-Ray release ranked by picture quality, you got it. Sites like Blu-ray.com and DVD Beaver are good for looking up screenshots of Blu-Rays.

quote ctrl
    So if you compare how long DVD's have been relevant to how progressive the media world is becoming, then one would have to think that Blu-Ray discs will be around for at least 15+ years. Wanna know why? Because a single-layered Blu-Ray disc can hold up-to 50gb.
    I thought double-layered was 50GB, and single-layered 25GB (most BDs are double-layed bytheway).

Author:   ProudLoz
    Date:   Dec 31, 12 at 11:14pm (PST)
    quote Big A2
    quote ctrl
    So if you compare how long DVD's have been relevant to how progressive the media world is becoming, then one would have to think that Blu-Ray discs will be around for at least 15+ years. Wanna know why? Because a single-layered Blu-Ray disc can hold up-to 50gb.
    I thought double-layered was 50GB, and single-layered 25GB (most BDs are double-layed bytheway).
    This is correct, unless the Blu-ray tech has changed drastically in the past two years, as far as I know, the most a single layered Blu-ray can currently hold is 27.5 GBs and a double layered Blu-ray would make it to 55 GBs.

Now as for the quadrupled layered Blu-ray discs, although it would be awesome to own one, they cannot become a standard since it'll require you to get new hardware to read the disc. The currently Blu-ray player's laser are only compatible with two layered Blu-ray discs and that's it. I also own a couple of 3D movies, and they average at about, I would say 30 GBs. Some definitely fill that 50 GB Blu-ray nicely, but not all of them reach that point and that's because of the H.264 compression that they are all mastered with. Remember that it's not raw footage.

Author:   Paranoid Android
    Date:   Jan 01, 13 at 8:48am (PST)
    I never bothered to buy a Blu Ray player, but now that I've got a PS3 on deck I'll probably quit buying regular DVDs from now on. I watched The Dark Knight Rises on Blu Ray and it looked epic. :0

Kudos for the link, Big A2.

Author:   smarti3
    Date:   Jan 01, 13 at 6:56pm (PST)
    ctrl Thanks for taking the time to explain! I've never actually seen Avatar,but I was planing on getting it on Blu Ray next time I see it in store. I've just finished watching Avengers which looks really good

Big A2 Wow. Thanks for the list, it's really useful

Date:   Jan 01, 13 at 8:19pm (PST)
    Yeah. I... I typo'd. :-(

Author:   Shadow of Death
    Date:   Jan 01, 13 at 8:22pm (PST)
    CG stuff makes the most out of blu-ray. Unless it's put there for effect, it's free from film grain and dust/scratches.

I dunno if Blu-ray will retain its presence as much as DVDs have, because DVD was a big jump from what we had before, not only in picture quality, but in features. Most of us went from VHS to DVD, and not having to rewind alone was something of a revelation at the time.

It's only a matter of time before SHD disks (I would imagine they'd use some new standard for Blu-ray, becuase I think most players can't handle more than two layers, if even that much).

It would mainly be a film media though, since movies for theaters are shot at around 4K width. Even now TV shows are a problem to get on Blu-ray without upscaling unless they're recently made. I don't think we'll be seeing many/any TV shows NOT upscaled on the next generation of player resolution, not for a while.

That said, I have a fair collection of blu-rays. I should probably re-update my list TBH.

Date:   Jan 01, 13 at 8:33pm (PST)
    Well most theaters just converted to 4K. I do however plan on purchasing a cinema-wide tv with a Blu-Ray player. In the meantime I use my laptop with the hdmi plugged in. Blu-Ray will be around for a while. Because until a demand is made for higher quality televisions, there won't be a need for higher quality media. Most manufacturers are too busy making them "smart" and adding crap they don't really need.

I'm no math wiz but I'd imagine that 4K televisions won't be affordable beyond the upper class for at least 6-8 years.

Author:   walnuts
    Date:   Jan 01, 13 at 9:50pm (PST)
    I personally decided to 'skip' the Blu-Ray generation and go directly to digital. Only Blu-Ray player/reader I have is in my computer, and I only put that in so I can rip Blu-Ray's that I rent/buy, without having to worry about having an expensive Blu-Ray setup that I personally believe will be superseded in less than 5 years from now. The movies that I do buy I do so in Blu-Ray, but they are ripped once and then placed back on the shelf. I don't play anything directly off Blu-Ray's, and they are nothing more than a storage/transportation device for me, a necessary evil in a nation (Australia) where the internet infrastructure is sub-standard at best, thus making digital distribution difficult.

Just my 2c, but I do agree the picture quality that they offer is outstanding, and are probably worth the investment for most people as, unlike things like videos, it is relatively simple to copy your Blu-Ray's and essentially make them 'platform independent' (which is one of the big reasons why I've gone digital).

• Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
    All Rights Reserved.