Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: The Dark Knight Rises (Post-Release Discussion) - page 20

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51/t1746796-dark-knight-rises-post-release-discussion/20.htm

Author:   Escapade
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 9:16am (PST)
Subject:   re: The Dark Knight Rises (Post-Release Discussion)
-------------------------------------------
I have to admit that this was a pretty good movie, but IMO it still doesn't live up to TDK or even Batman Begins. I just hated Bane as a villain because he was just plain cold and violent, and it was hard to understand what he was saying half the time he was talking. At least the Joker was an entertaining villain, despite being just as evil, although that's beside the point.

Anyway, here are my two cents:

TDK > Begins > Rises, I'd think.

[color=#666666]This message was edited on 2012-08-26T11:00:44-07:00.

Author:   TheButcher99999
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 10:54am (PST)
If you had read the comics you would of known Catwoman isn't an out and out baddy, she's normally just out for herself but will help Batman when he guilt trips her.

Author:   Lavitz
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 12:18pm (PST)
Yeah, she's always been more of an antihero than a villain, with her own agenda and standards - neither of which are in align with Batman's.

Author:   oliveoil
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 2:09pm (PST)
I don't know if this has been discussed yet but I came across this short article about how Batman could actually be dead at the end of the film. I thought it was interesting because it hadn't even crossed my mind that Alfred could have imagined seeing Bruce and Selena in the cafe.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/What-Really-Happened-End-Dark-Knight-Rises-32061.html?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_27051

Author:   Shinobi_razor
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 5:22pm (PST)
great film, thoroughly enjoyed it. cant really say more to that.

one thing i was a bit confused by was about "Robin" or Detective Blake i guess his name is. if they intended him to essentially be Robin\Nightwing (for possible future spin offs or simply a nod to fans), then why not have him be Dick Grayson? i suppose that could always be his real name, and he's only going under this Blake alias but i mean jeeze, just call him that. most people are aware who he is, no need to spell it out at the end when the lady actually called him Robin. tons of people, even non comic fans watched the Adam West show back in the day where he was called Dick Grayson all the time.

that being said i would love to see some Nightwing spin offs if they intend to go that route.
quote oliveoil
I don't know if this has been discussed yet but I came across this short article about how Batman could actually be dead at the end of the film. I thought it was interesting because it hadn't even crossed my mind that Alfred could have imagined seeing Bruce and Selena in the cafe.
while it seems very unlikely he could have managed to somehow get away in time, i wouldnt rule him out. on the same token that doesnt mean Alfred wasnt imagining him either. cause if he did survive and that was really him and Selina, wouldnt Alfred be excited and run up and hug him?

Author:   Storm
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 5:27pm (PST)
See what throws that off is the fact that Selina was there. If Alfred imagined it, I would have assumed they wouldn't have showed the face of the girl to make his imagination fit in. I mean why would he assume the burglar would be the interest? And as far as imaginations go, isn't it strange to have someone directly look at you in said imagination? Did he imagine the waiter serving them, as well?

Batman is always one step ahead. Always. The mention of the auto-pilot being fixed also plays a role. Lucius smiled the moment he was given notice of that, if I remember correctly. So we don't see Batman escape, that's the point. clutch moves. It doesn't focus on the bat all the time, it goes to Blake then pans back to the bat flying away. Of course, it's quite a blast radius, but I'd assume the ocean can help save him from the explosion. It's pretty much how we don't see when Batman just takes off when talking to people. xD

Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 5:38pm (PST)
well thats a HUGE suspension of disbelief then, as not even water, except for a good 50-75 feet at least, can protect you from that massive of an explosion. so if he did jump in the water real fast, he would had to have been extremely deep. i guess its possible he whipped out some kind of breathing apparatus, even though in Nolan's movies he doesnt carry a lot of gadgets with him.

Author:   Waldronnic
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 5:56pm (PST)
My opinion of it is that the cockpit itself was built to withstain the water pressure of deep sea diving and thus not only did Bruce escape the explosion via his cockpit, but that it transported him far enough and deep enough underwater to evade the explosion. Other than that it's hard to see how he would survive the explosion via an ejection.

quote Shinobi_razor
while it seems very unlikely he could have managed to somehow get away in time, i wouldnt rule him out. on the same token that doesnt mean Alfred wasnt imagining him either. cause if he did survive and that was really him and Selina, wouldnt Alfred be excited and run up and hug him?
If the ending was meant to be ambiguous and it was suggested that Alfred could be imagining Bruce there, then I don't see why they would include the shot showing us Bruce Wayne and Selina in the resaurant; there would simply be an end shot of Alfred smiling at something off camera.

Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 6:03pm (PST)
It still makes no sense to see Bruce and Selina there, and Bruce and Alfred acknowledging one another. Plus, they showed closure for all the characters up to that point, but not Selina. They saved her for that moment. If that were imagination, then she'd have -no- closure whatsoever, and that wasn't the point of wrapping up a trilogy.

And who else would put the bat-signal for Gordon to find? xD

Some speculation might be Batman jumped out right after the close-up. Others suggest the use of two Bats being used. Whatever the case, I refuse to believe he's dead!

Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 6:59pm (PST)
i kinda think Blake put the bat symbol for Gordon to find, seems like he's gonna carry on the legacy. after all Bruce did say something to the effect of "anyone can be Batman".

Author:   tyranitar24
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 7:16pm (PST)
quote Shinobi_razor
Remember earlier in the movie when Alfred was talking with Bruce and said he imagined a better life for him with a woman and that he would be sitting down at the cafe, they would look at each other, and not say a word but they would know Bruce found his way? Pretty sure that's what Nolan was going for.

Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 7:48pm (PST)
yeah but that was before Alfred thought he died.

Author:   ctrl
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 8:03pm (PST)
Its cute people think Bruce actually died.

Author:   tyranitar24
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 9:24pm (PST)
quote Shinobi_razor
yeah but that was before Alfred thought he died.
I don't think it really matters lol.

Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 10:15pm (PST)
quote ctrl
Its cute people think Bruce actually died.
^ This.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.