Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Godzilla (2014) - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/51/t1503344-godzilla-2014/

Author:   The Living Angelus
Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 3:27am (PST)
Subject:   Godzilla (2014)
-------------------------------------------
Move Over Cloverfield Monster, Original Terror From The Sea Is Back
Legendary and WB to Bring Back... Godzilla!

March 29, 2010 - Legendary Pictures announced today they are ready to start developing a new movie based on the legendary Toho Studios monster Godzilla, having acquired the rights to the character Toho created over fifty years ago in the 1954 film, which has since become a genre classic. Legendary is producing the movie through their deal with Warner Bros. with hopes to announce a director soon to helm the movie with the intention of having it ready for a 2012 release.

The official press release from Legendary includes quotes from the three key players in the deal.

Thomas Tull, Chairman and CEO of Legendary:

"Godzilla is one of the world's most powerful pop culture icons, and we at Legendary are thrilled to be able to create a modern epic based on this long-loved Toho franchise. Our plans are to produce the Godzilla that we, as fans, would want to see. We intend to do justice to those essential elements that have allowed this character to remain as pop-culturally relevant for as long as it has."

Hideyuki Takai, President of Toho Co., Ltd.:

"Godzilla is a signature Japanese character which we have nurtured over the years. It is a great honor to reach an agreement with Legendary Pictures, the parent to many a blockbuster film, and we are delighted in rebooting the character together to realize its much anticipated return by fans from all over the world. We are anxious to find out where Godzilla's new stomping will take us."

Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group:

"Godzilla is emblematic of the kind of branded, event films for which Warner Bros. and our partners at Legendary are best known. We have enjoyed a great deal of success together to date and this newest opportunity represents yet another chance for us to collaborate on a property that is very clearly in their wheelhouse."

Toho has kept Godzilla alive through two generations of movies, many of which were only released in Japan. The last time Godzilla arrived on these shores, it was for a 50th Anniversary re-release of the original movie. Before that, Toho released one of the Japanese films in the United States as Godzilla 2000, and in 1998, director Roland Emmerich and his partner Dean Devlin tackled a reinvention of Godzilla for Sony, a summer blockbuster that grossed $379 million worldwide despite generally tepid reviews and disfavor from the long-time fans of the character.
I for one, am excited to read this. Original American Godzilla was a guilty pleasure of mine back when I saw it in theaters and remains to this day, but it truly is a dumb movie with so many laughable moments. Almost a "so bad, it's good" film. I would love for them to make a serious version of Godzilla, like Peter Jackson's King Kong only less boring and like Cloverfield, only without the handheld camera first-person perspective.

Author:   Tf916
Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 3:41am (PST)
Subject:   re: Godzilla (2014)
I can't wait to see how this movie turns out since i grew up watching the japanese ones on VHS.

Author:   longview01
Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 8:19am (PST)
You guys ruined Godzilla once and you want to do it again?

Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 8:39am (PST)
quote longview01
Wrong. Different studio, different people involved last time. This could be quite good, especially behind Legendary Pictures. The same production company responsible with bringing up Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, 300 and more from the last 5 years.

Author:   Aguila
Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 11:58am (PST)
I've been waiting for a new Godzilla film for a long time after seeing the awful American one in the 90s. Hopefully it's good

Author:   Waldronnic
Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 12:09pm (PST)
Wow. Im devastated. Trust this to come around the corner. As an aspiring filmmaker it was a childhood dream to make the next Godzilla film, truthful to what I loved in the original films as a kid. Well, cross that off the list.

Otherwise I'm happy, Godzilla was always one of my childhood favourites, my personal favourite era being the Heisei series. I watched literally all of the films. His memory is one I'll be scrutinizing come this film. With it being under Legendary and WB, this seems promising already.

Wow, honestly a bit annoyed though. Didn't expect them to want to rehash him for years. The bastards.

Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 12:36pm (PST)
quote The Living Angelus
quote longview01
Wrong. Different studio, different people involved last time. This could be quite good, especially behind Legendary Pictures. The same production company responsible with bringing up Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, 300 and more from the last 5 years.
I was talking about you guys as in Americans, and yes this film will be another crap hollywood Godzilla film

Author:   Waldronnic
Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 12:59pm (PST)
Well I don't think so. If they treat it right (Which they *bleep*ing better seen as they've decided to rehash it again!)

They'll combine a great epic score like that of Akira Ifukube and use the original designs of Godzilla (Ripped off by the recent Kraken in Clash Of The Titans). Not too mention good directing, good writing, great acting would be a must.

And for speial effects? I propose WETA.

Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 3:03pm (PST)
quote longview01
I was talking about you guys as in Americans, and yes this film will be another crap hollywood Godzilla film
What does America have anything to do with movies? You're condemning a nation for a shitty Summer popcorn blockbuster (and yes it was a blockbuster making almost $400 Million worldwide, so even some of you pompous Brits saw the movie). As if Americans single-handedly ruined a franchise to begin with, that being a franchise famous for men in rubber suits destroying miniature buildings and props only to evolve into using even shittier CGI.

Nor what does one studio's futile attempt at westernizing a series have to do with another studio wanting to reboot it over 10 years later? That's like condemning Warner Bros for wanting to reboot Batman after that fiasco that was "Batman & Robin" and deciding it's not even worth the attempt to make Batman Begins (or The Dark Knight).

Sometimes people say the stupidest shit on these boards. Think before posting.

Author:   Fatherbrain30
Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 4:04pm (PST)
Oh God yes, this will be epic-er than Colverfield.

Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 5:00pm (PST)
quote The Living Angelus
quote longview01
What does America have anything to do with movies? You're condemning a nation for a shitty Summer popcorn blockbuster (and yes it was a blockbuster making almost $400 Million worldwide, so even some of you pompous Brits saw the movie). As if Americans single-handedly ruined a franchise to begin with, that being a franchise famous for men in rubber suits destroying miniature buildings and props only to evolve into using even shittier CGI.

Nor what does one studio's futile attempt at westernizing a series have to do with another studio wanting to reboot it over 10 years later? That's like condemning Warner Bros for wanting to reboot Batman after that fiasco that was "Batman & Robin" and deciding it's not even worth the attempt to make Batman Begins (or The Dark Knight).

Sometimes people say the stupidest shit on these boards. Think before posting.
a few things wrong with your post

godzilla vs mothra
godzilla vs king ghidorah

Just 2 examples of the original Godzilla films that were not about rubber suits or poor CGI

Also the batman refernce serves no purpose to this discussion, it was already an american product that NEEDED rebooting about the shit storm that was batman and robin.

If you bothered to keep up with the Godzilla franchise you would know that the films have been constantly made since 1954, with the last one appearing in 2004 and have that was not a comerical failure (as putting your batman refernce to bed)

There is not need for a reboot, and yes if the Godzilla film from 2000 was anything to go by the western market should leave well enough alone.

Sales do not mean shit to a real godzilla fan who saw the american reboot (10 years ago) as a complete failure

Author:   Darknet
Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 5:12pm (PST)
quote longview01
I liked the last Godzilla movie, tbh.

Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 5:22pm (PST)
quote Darknet
quote longview01
I liked the last Godzilla movie, tbh.
This says it all

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/2685-godzilla-1998

Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 5:24pm (PST)
quote longview01
godzilla vs mothra
godzilla vs king ghidorah

Just 2 examples of the original Godzilla films that were not about rubber suits or poor CGI
You sure about that....

Don't lecture me about the Godzilla franchise. I'm more than aware of how many films there are as well as it's history. How can you say Godzilla: Final Wars wasn't a commercial failure, when it certainly wasn't a commercial success either. It barely was able to captivate it's own Japanese market. The last few entries in the Godzilla franchise have only been Straight-To-DVD quality and none have garnered much of a success. The Batman reference and what you said about it proves the point I was getting across. The Godzilla name fails to reach majority of the Western audiences, with it only finding minimal success here in the States and there hasn't been another Godzilla movie since 2000 to hit our theaters, with all the following titles to go directly to DVD. The movies bomb over here and anywhere outside of Japan, which is the only place the name still means something.

There is certainly a need for a reboot. If you'd bother to keep up with Western Culture, you'd know Cloverfield proved there is a market for an Americanized Godzilla, as prior to the release of that movie, everyone believed J.J. Abrams had secretly made just that, a new Godzilla movie.

Date:   Mar 30, 10 at 5:27pm (PST)
I cant believe your using Cloverfield as an example....that film was awful as well

Box office success or not, it was a bad film

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2015.
All Rights Reserved.