Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: New Super 3DS GD XVIII - page 4

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/50500/t1752985-new-super-3ds-gd-xviii/4.htm

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 8:45am (PST)
Subject:   re: New Super 3DS GD XVIII
-------------------------------------------
But, to my knowledge, a huge part of the jump from part AC to ACII was due to flaws of the first being fixed. This obviously takes more time, but for the further installments of the game the gameplay elements are "perfected", so a huge evolution isn't needed. The game has been established as quality, now the developers can focus on story execution, fun, etc. I think as long as quality control and polish remain intact a game franchise can handle annual releases.

For me, people invest too much in something needing to change to be good. If something is good you don't need to make drastic changes to it, just keep it good and make entertaining content for me to explore. If you want to make something that seems like a whole new game, then just make a new game.

Going back to Mario, the core elements have been defined. Nintendo has perfected the 2D platformer, there isn't much need to change the formula up every time for change's sake. It's not like NSMB is their only series anyway, we've got the 3D Marios and plenty of other franchises that Nintendo uses on a regular basis to do their more experimental stuff. I see lots of people talking about how they'd like the game better if it was hand drawn art, for example. I can see where they are coming from, I'd probably be more interested in the game if they did as well, but Nintendo already did they incredibly well with games like Warioland on Wii. Making every series fit into certain design molds for the going trend of the day is kinda silly and hurts variety, which everyone says they want.

I also think "gamers" are ignoring what Nintendo is trying to accomplish with the New series anyway. Yes, one part of it is nostalgia fuel, but the bigger component of the game is introducing new or casual players to the Mario world. They've even said in interviews that they don't want to introduce tons of new elements to the series as to not confuse and alienate consumers away from it, like the 3D games did to an entire generation of players. They are keeping the same general aesthetic, the same general music, the same powerups, etc. to be "my first Mario" to people, and hopefully introduce them to their more complex games like the 3D Marios. It may be too simple for my tastes as someone who's played all the rest of the games, but is just right for someone who's never played a Mario game before.

Wow, this has gotten way too long for a game I'm not even buying.

Author:   Dragon ZERO
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 9:04am (PST)
quote bbb7002004
But, to my knowledge, a huge part of the jump from part AC to ACII was due to flaws of the first being fixed. This obviously takes more time, but for the further installments of the game the gameplay elements are "perfected", so a huge evolution isn't needed. The game has been established as quality, now the developers can focus on story execution, fun, etc. I think as long as quality control and polish remain intact a game franchise can handle annual releases.
It did fix all the flaws, but that really wasn't where it stopped. It added a ton of an RPG-like equipment system with tons of different weapons and stuff, a town-management meta game, guns, etc. It was more than just an updated ACI, it was a HUGE jump.

Anyway, the rest of your post is about NSMB, but I really didn't care about that comment, just the last part about in general how you don't get how people don't like annual releases. NSMB I get the purpose of, and you really can't change up 2D Mario platformers like you can the 3D games at this point aside from adding new power-ups and occasionally the shake-up; NSMB2 actually does it good with the whole new focus on coins, thats the most "change" a 2D Mario game can really do in terms of gameplay.

HOWEVER, the part that really should be changed is that they all look and feel samey. Same graphics. Same music. Same general worlds. They really should mix up the presentation. A new art style, maybe not hand drawn, but a new graphical look. New tunes. New worlds, or maybe ditch the world concept in general and do something SMG2 where every level has a different backdrop. People really underestimate how much fresh a fresh presentation can do to make a game feel different.

Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 9:31am (PST)
I would agree in theory, but there has also been a 6 year gap between NSMB1 and 2 on a whole new console. Even considering the handheld and console titles as the same line, its been 3 years since the last game. With these particular games, at least to me, its like "This is NSMB on this console, wait for the next gen. to see this game show up with better graphics."

I guess a lot of it is down to how the vision of Mario has been really locked down at this point. Pretty much every Mario game since Sunshine has had the same look with a few notable exceptions, so if you're looking for the graphical diversity of something like Zelda you would be disappointed.

Author:   Dragoon
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 11:23am (PST)
Oh are we talking about Assassin's Creed?

Anyone thinking about getting III for the WiiU? If so I'd highly recommend playing through the other games. II - Revelations. AC can be completely ignored unless you want some background on Altair, the rest of the cotent in AC (the Desmond stuff) is insignificant and anything else you need to know is reitterated in future games anyway. ACII remains the best AC game to date (personally) but III is shaping up to be fantastic. Hopefully the 3 years of development it went through show in the game. <:

Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 11:46am (PST)
I plan on getting it. I actually keep meaning to buy the AC games on PC, but just never got around to it for one reason or another. That series and the Batman games were the two big ones that I felt I really missed out on, glad they are coming to Wii U at launch. Just add Bioshock and I'll be pretty satisfied from HD games this past generation.

Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 1:12pm (PST)
quote bbb7002004
I plan on getting it. I actually keep meaning to buy the AC games on PC, but just never got around to it for one reason or another. That series and the Batman games were the two big ones that I felt I really missed out on, glad they are coming to Wii U at launch. Just add Bioshock and I'll be pretty satisfied from HD games this past generation.
AC is good, but once they made it annual it kind of got boring, lost a lot of the uniqueness.

Both Batman games are brilliant.

BioShock is a masterpiece.

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 3:53pm (PST)
quote bbb7002004
I would agree in theory, but there has also been a 6 year gap between NSMB1 and 2 on a whole new console. Even considering the handheld and console titles as the same line, its been 3 years since the last game. With these particular games, at least to me, its like "This is NSMB on this console, wait for the next gen. to see this game show up with better graphics."
And it's gonna be staying that way for the most part. Iwata said a few days ago that right now the plan is only to have one New Super Mario Bros. game per console though it could change later on. But NSMB2 is possibly the last one for the 3DS and then we also have NSMBU coming out with the Wii U. And the NSMB for the Wii U actually looks really good which amazes me.

Author:   Roy
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 6:47pm (PST)
I am indecisive about it. I may rent it through GameFly or through some other rental service. I just hope this game isn't too much like Super Mario Bros. 2.

Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 4:05am (PST)
NSMB2 is nothing like Super Mario Bros. 2. It's just another NSMB game that feels like a NSMB game.

Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 6:27am (PST)
It be awesome if it was like SMB2 though, that's always been my favorite. I remember renting it as a kid and loved the fact that you could play as Luigi right off the bat, who I liked better than Mario. It was also the first game I bought at release when they remade it for the GBA launch.

Good times. Good times.

Nintendo should really bring that style back, or at least make a new Doki Doki game.

Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 7:05am (PST)
It would certainly change things up if they brought it back. I could never really understand the hate that the game got. I realize it's basically Doki Doki but Mario but it's still a really fun game. The music is simply fantastic and having the option to use Peach/Toad/Luigi/Mario is even better. I thought it was a great platforming game and one I love to revisit every now and again.

Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 7:22am (PST)
Well you know gamers, they want everything the same but completely different and want brand new experiences that feel familiar, just like they were when they were kids but for adults.

Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 2:40pm (PST)
quote bbb7002004
Well you know gamers, they want everything the same but completely different and want brand new experiences that feel familiar, just like they were when they were kids but for adults.
So true

Author:   Lukas
Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 6:12pm (PST)
quote Dragon ZERO
quote bbb7002004
AC is good, but once they made it annual it kind of got boring, lost a lot of the uniqueness.
As long as Connor doesn't get the Ezio treatment (as in yearly installments - I like good characters like Ezio), it's all good.

Author:   Roy
Date:   Aug 23, 12 at 7:43pm (PST)
quote bbb7002004
Not to mention to make each sequel or game in series harder than the last one, which really pisses me off on certain games. How ridiculous can some people be.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.