Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Metal Pad - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/5020/t408562-metal-pad/

Author:   Josh17
Date:   Jul 13, 04 at 9:04pm (PST)
Subject:   Metal Pad
-------------------------------------------
I have a 1 inch foam insert DDR Pad.. The ones that aren't flismy like the $15-$20 pads, but have some foam in them..

Now though I want to get a metal one so it will be similar to the arcade.

I just looked at this item here.. here for $84..

I thought it was a good price.. Until I read down more. "Buyer pays $40.00 for shipping and handling fee for this item to be shipped to lower 48 states by UPS" So if I live in CA, U.S I have to pay $40 shipping?

And it gets even worse.. "California residents please add 8.25% Sales Tax."

Or maybe not.. Thats just normal sales tax, or is that additional tax on top of the normal tax?

How about this pad? Here

I'm looking for just a metal pad.. But I don't have huge bucks to spend. One thats basically similar to the arcade--so I can get some practice from it and then when I play at the arcades I will be used to it since I played on the metal pad. Since I have the 1 inch foam pad, and I can get A's on standard songs and get "C's" or "B'" and even a "A" on two songs on Heavy mode.. But when I go to Arcade I have a hard time passing any Stadard mode song.. I fail songs that I normall get a A on-- so I need metal pad practice badly.

So those items that are $150 or more for just the pad.. Too much for me. Especially since I have to add about $40 shipping and taxes onto it..

I could go to a store and buy it and not have to pay the shipping and stuff-- but I don't know any places in CA that sell metal pads for a good price.. Or even sell them at all (not sure where to look).

Any ideas? Good price ones?

BTW, my birthday is coming up.. So I'm going to get it-- I'd just get this.. The "suprise stuff" doesn't matter, hehe. I can get "them" to pay for it and get it, but of course its only if they can afford it meaning I can't buy anything like $200 metal pad.. Argh whens that job when I need it.

*Edit* I got one from frys! I saved up my money finally. They took like a month to get a metal pad in.. At least I save $50 on shipping.

This message was edited by Josh17 on Sep 15 2004.

Author:   Marshmallow Guy
Date:   Jul 13, 04 at 9:10pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Metal Pad
I would reccommend getting it at a store, due to the S&H. I bought a metal pad at Fry's for $100.

Author:   Josh17
Date:   Jul 13, 04 at 9:12pm (PST)
Thanks, hehe I'll try them.

I want some practice from the Metal Pads. Its sad.. LOL..

I can get a "AA' on a song such as Breakdown on Standard with 1.5 speed.. I try Breakdown on standard with 1.5 speed on the arcade.. I fail it, and if i'm lucky I can get a D or a C.

Also for the Arcades.. Do they ever replace the metal dance pads? Since how could it last for so long with people playing it basically all day-- and all different weights. Thats why I wondered if the pads aren't responding well anymore-- but it doesn't seem to be that way as I see people with 300 combos and stuff all the time. Then I play and I can hardly do it. I'm almost sure its because I'm used to a foam pad-- since it feels so different that I play bad. So I need the metal pad so I can practice more. (I play DDR all the time at my house)

I know that if I buy one for my house it should last for a long time. Not sure how long, but for a while.

Author:   Marshmallow Guy
Date:   Jul 13, 04 at 10:42pm (PST)
Haha I wouldn't know. I can get Bs on So Deep Perfect Sphere on heavy, and I havent been to an arcade yet!

Author:   LinkMaster03
Date:   Jul 14, 04 at 1:36pm (PST)
Me neither! Where can you find and arcade that has it? Chuck E. Cheeses? Thats the only place I know of close to me. And I don't even know if they have it!

Author:   Anime2234
Date:   Jul 14, 04 at 5:29pm (PST)
Is there any Vans Skatepark in your area?

In my area (Virginia) the mall that I go to has 2 DDR Machines. One in Vans Skatepark and one in an arcade place.

I doubt they will have it in Chuck E' Cheeses though.

Author:   Witches
Date:   Aug 07, 04 at 3:28pm (PST)
I don't know what to tell you about getting a metal pad, the places around here only carry the crappy madcats mats and the RedOctane $100 ones. I've never heard of a store having the metal pads. It would be great if they did, I can't even play at home properly 'cause I've got a $20 mat.

Sadly, I have to drive at least a half hour to the nearest arcade with a DDR machine. The movie theater I used to work at is getting one any day now, but it's been 4 months since I put in the idea.

Author:   DDRJaco
Date:   Sep 04, 04 at 6:21pm (PST)
I got that same pad from a different seller and it worked perfectly I would get it if I were you.

Author:   Fenix_talon
Date:   Sep 15, 04 at 1:39am (PST)
i got metal pads- 2 on ebay 4 300 dollars all together
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Author:   Slayerholic17
Date:   Sep 30, 04 at 3:19pm (PST)
Yes, you'd be surprised how different it feels going from a foam pad to the metal ones in the arcade. But if you go to the arcade more often, you'll get used to it. Took me awhile, but I'm pretty used to it now, though I still don't do nearly as good at the arcades as I do at home.

And good news for me, I finally got a nice pad! I got the Red Octane Ignition 2.0, for $132, with the 15 bucks for insurance, which was a pretty good deal if ya ask me...I think...

Author:   Reenee
Date:   Sep 30, 04 at 9:51pm (PST)
Mine was $95 w/out insurance with a nice $10 coupon that was included.

BURNED.

Author:   Slayerholic17
Date:   Oct 01, 04 at 12:40am (PST)
Bah, no fair!

But in any case, I notice the biggest difference EVER between this pad and my cheap ass beat pad pros. I A'd a whole bunch opf heavy songs that I didn't before because of my crappy pads. So I'm very happy...though I'm pretty sore now...played DDR for like four hours today.

Author:   Fenix_talon
Date:   Oct 04, 04 at 9:15pm (PST)
OOK well i supose if u play DDR that much ($hrs a day) it would be really worth it to get metal ones

also if you relly want a challenge, in St.Louis there is a ttheme park called six plags, they have a DDr machine there that both the pads are broken, you have to stomp super hard for it to work, therefore it is better exersize than normal- my friends and i go there just for the challenge

Author:   A Greater Life
Date:   Oct 08, 04 at 10:38pm (PST)
Okay I have 2 questions concerning metal pads:

1) Do any of you know if playing DDR on a metal pad on the 2nd floor of apartments will make any noise that can be heard by the people under me? (Foot and stomping noises, not vulgarities that come out of my mouth when I lose at Xenon on Standard [which is a level 6] when I am supposively a level 7 footer).

2) My college is considering buying cobalt flux pads to have for the students to play. How long do you think they would last (in terms of years) with a population of about 1000 students and about only about 50 that might play every day? If you don't know what the cobalt flux pads are, here is a link:

http://www.cobaltflux.com/

Author:   DDRJaco
Date:   Oct 08, 04 at 11:15pm (PST)
1. Almost any pad will make noise if you are on the second floor because you are stomping on the pad which makes noise

2. Maybe 2 years with out maintenance but otherwise it depends on how well they are kept up with.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.