Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!] - page 33

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49734/t1685191-pokemon-white-sprite-contest-new-thread-in-black-2-white-2-forum/33.htm

Author:   Exxmaniac
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 1:26pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!]
-------------------------------------------
Heh. Rocket-at-the-end-of-the-bridge.
Anyway, this is shaping to be a great tourney! nice to see new faces and some old wrinklycanewielding spriters. Can't wait to see the results for the next rounds!

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 2:18pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!]

Shiny Flygon R/S/E Revamp

I changed the antennae a little.

Author:   FourthBeat
Date:   Jul 28, 12 at 2:42pm (PST)
Exxmaniac, I know that was directed at me ;D I'm old as sin, I know, I know. No need to rub it in.

Author:   Shmexie_x_Deoxys
Date:   Jul 29, 12 at 12:55am (PST)
tbh, i'm upset that i was cut so early

but if anything, this just means i have to work my a$$ off for the plasma bracket! lol

i saw some nice entries this round, i'm sorta relieved i got cut.
but alas, since i was forced to join team plasma, i guess i'm not out of the woods yet ;D

p.s. does anyone know how to dual-retype? it sounds difficult

Author:   Dragon Arbock
Date:   Jul 29, 12 at 8:55am (PST)
My strategy would be to pick a plain looking pokemon (most likely a normal type), retype it to look like one type first, then add in attributes of the second type.

I've already finished my entry. I just don't know if i can hold my own against Lizz.

Author:   Wombat
Date:   Jul 29, 12 at 9:06am (PST)
quote Shmexie_x_Deoxys
p.s. does anyone know how to dual-retype? it sounds difficult
I would probably start by observing existing dual-type pokemon and seeing how they convey both types in their appearance. Then, depending on your chosen types, pick a pokemon that could feasibly be made to show those types. Or vice-versa, pick types based on the pokemon.
Good luck!

Author:   loulybob
Date:   Jul 29, 12 at 9:20am (PST)
What I did/am doing (haven't finished yet OTL) is choose the type pairing I wanted to do, see what makes pokémon of those types seem like they are that type and chose a pokémon based on what attributes I could give it to seem like it is the type combo in question ^.^;

Author:   Pheonyx
Date:   Jul 29, 12 at 12:47pm (PST)
Just a heads up that judging is probably going to take a bit longer than normal. I haven't had this many entries in a long time, and well... I haven't really studied up on the 5th Gen shading style too closely yet. ^^; So I am working on it, but it might take another day or two.

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   Jul 30, 12 at 9:00am (PST)
quote Pheonyx
I haven't really studied up on the 5th Gen shading style too closely yet. ^^; So I am working on it, but it might take another day or two.
I have, the light comes from the front, not the right, if that makes sense.

Author:   Lizz
Date:   Jul 31, 12 at 10:54am (PST)
Just finished my entry and sent it in. Good luck DA, I can't wait to see how this round come out. Pheo, would you like an entry round-up?

Date:   Jul 31, 12 at 12:34pm (PST)
No no it's fine, I'm almost done, just a few more entries left. I told myself no more video games until judging was done. Talking with friends, however...

Date:   Jul 31, 12 at 9:14pm (PST)
Judging!
(Normal round)

Gee thanks Lizz, I'm still stuck in the fourth gen as far as shading is concerned. Well maybe judging your entries will help me learn something too. As the biggest point to this round was shading, I'll be extra picky in judging.
Also in case you didn't see it before, Lizz did a very nice tutorial on revamping that you should check out if you're still unsure of your revamping abilities.

quote Vast
[B-] I can tell you referenced the Black/White sprite of Mudkip (that or just got really lucky). The light areas on the face and paws are about the same size and position, which is great considering the poses are very similar. My biggest issue is how straight the transition between light and dark is on several areas, including the tail, lower jaw, and left paw. While only a pixel or two of extra light or shadow is necessary, having the shadow line be more curved makes the Pokemon look more natural. There are also a few areas (some outline and a white spot on the paw) which look like unrecolored pixels from the original R/S/E sprite.

quote CJames
[A-] I thought Shedinja was a bit of a cop out, since it's always in the same pose, but then I saw the R/S sprite and was like, oh, now I get it. Honestly, as far as the shading goes, I don't see much wrong. However, the outline on the body could stand to be a bit lighter, and the outline on back spikes is boxy on the tips. I know it was like that on the original sprite but it's always a good idea to clean up the outline.

quote Tucaah
[B] If there's one thing I'd say about the fifth gen its that the shading got a lot simpler. Highlight and shadow are like... two things that hate each other (not feeling metaphorical today.) They like to stay as far away as possible from one another. What I'm referring to are the paws. I'd say either get rid of the highlight or get rid of the shadow on the paws. Also, the shading on the chest should come up a bit higher.

quote Shmexie_x_Deoxys
[A] I love the improvements you made. The head looks especially well shaded. The tail doesn't need the highlight but it's not distracting. The body's almost a bit too round, however. The highlight on the body and the highlight on the leg could be connected so the belly doesn't look so bulbous.

quote Dragon Arbock
[A] Man that old shading style was pretty different from the way Aggron's shaded now. But you did a good job. The new shading style gives the stones depth. All I'd have to say is that the outline on the belly stones near the highlights should be lighter, just to give some more colored outline in there.

quote Lizz
[A-] It's a good thing I read your tutorial, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed that you changed the tail flame. (Hey sometimes I miss these things.) Is that allowed? Well your tutorial says it is so it must be. I can't decide if I'm okay with the belly. The entire belly in black is completely in shadow, but the white part has the base color, as if it were abiding by a different light source. Of course, due to the positioning, you /could/ argue that the base whitecolor is matched with the darker black and the white shade is another layer of shading... Does this make any sense?

quote Wombat
[C+] The reason for the + is because the shading on the B/W sprite doesn't make any sense either, but a good rule of thumb to go by is to fix up the base sprite if you feel there's something wrong with it (or in this case, don't listen to the base sprite if there's something wrong with it.) The highlights on the claws would suggest the light source is coming from the top, but on the face it's coming from the left. The shading on the right claw would suggest the light source is from the left, and the shading on the abdomen is just a weird shape.

quote Aether
[A+] Well... I got nothing. I have no complaints. I am complaintless. Have you realized how big Glalies are? They're huge. I've always thought they were the size of a beachball or something but no they're almost 5 feet tall they can destroy a small house just by running into it. Yeah this has nothing to do with sprites.

quote Exxmaniac
[B+] The more I look at Mr. Mime, the more I realize just how nightmarish it is... Wait this has nothing to do with sprites either. I can tell you didn't just rip out the previous shading, which is fine but it makes the differences more subtle. To keep it short and sweet, the shading on the head and face is still a little flat, and I'll never understand that highlight on the shoe...

quote anti_righteous
[A] I'm getting to the point where looking at the B/W sprite is doing me no favors. My thoughts on this are good but I'd prefer the head have a little more depth, then I go look at the B/W sprite and it's looking directly to the left and I'm like really? Regardless, there's no issue here it looks good.

quote ElectricArcanine
[A-] Sorry I'm getting to the end of the judging and I'm a little burnt out. I love how you replicated the shading on the mane, it looks just like the B/W shading. And in this case I like the B/W shading. The only suggestion I'd have is to not have the tip of the tail is shadow. Like the paw the tip sticks out just enough to catch the light.

quote Kubrick
[C] The shading itself isn't bad, though you did miss a spot on the end of the nose, and the ears aren't quite right... But my biggest issue is the outline. It's kind of a mess. Starting on the nose-tire-thing, the third bump has too much black outline, making it stick out compared to the one above it, which has black outline on only half of it. The front ear is all black outline. The black outline on the back gets jumbled and messy looking, and the outline on the front toes are reversed: the black should be on the right side of the toes, away from the light source.

quote PwnageMaster67
[A] Yeah I don't really have much to criticize on this. After looking at the R/S sprite, I can really appreciate the changes you made to the tail's shading. The only thing I'd have to say is that the shading on the left wing could stand to come up a little higher.

Winners:
1st: Aether
2nd: Shmexie_x_Deoxys, Dragon Arbock, anti_righteous, PwnageMaster67
3rd: CJames, ElectricArcanine

New Theme: Fuse any Gym Leader or Elite Four member with one of their Pokemon.
Deadline: August 8th
Judge: Your's truly

Also a reminder that tournament entries are due on the 4th. I still need a lot of your entries!

Author:   Lizz
Date:   Jul 31, 12 at 10:02pm (PST)
quote Pheonyx
Does this make any sense?
A bit, although that could be the 1AM mind-madness working on me again. Also, I got the same grade as CJames and EA, unless I'm disgraced XD

Also also, two questions. May I use my own Gym Leaders from Kataya, and (since I am completly against fusing Pokemon and Trainers) may I psudeo-fuse instead of actually copy-and-pasting?

Date:   Jul 31, 12 at 10:21pm (PST)
quote Lizz
Also also, two questions. May I use my own Gym Leaders from Kataya, and (since I am completly against fusing Pokemon and Trainers) may I psudeo-fuse instead of actually copy-and-pasting?
Heh, knew you'd hate this theme (it was Aether's idea!) Yes and yes. You don't /have/ to fuse if you don't want to.

Author:   Kubrick
Date:   Aug 01, 12 at 1:19am (PST)

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.