Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!] - page 28

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49734/t1685191-pokemon-white-sprite-contest-new-thread-in-black-2-white-2-forum/28.htm

Author:   Pheonyx
Date:   Jul 13, 12 at 10:54am (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!]
-------------------------------------------
What Aether said. I still remember the sprite I entered in last time. Xatu's not easy to fuse with...
ALSO: The Hall of Fame and Scoreboard are now up to date. Finally.

Author:   Shmexie_x_Deoxys
Date:   Jul 13, 12 at 7:50pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!]
my entry:

fusion of slowking and sandslash
S------_-_-----s

Author:   Tucaah
Date:   Jul 14, 12 at 9:26am (PST)
Can i join this Round?

Here is my sprite, T for Tiranytar and H for Haxorus.

Date:   Jul 14, 12 at 9:42am (PST)
anyone can enter, just make sure to only post sprites that follow the guidelines for each current round and follow the main rules of this thread:

Author:   Kimonio
Date:   Jul 14, 12 at 10:22am (PST)
Pheonyx: Am I required to use just 1 sprite each of the two Pokemon I'm fusing, or can I also use sprites of a Pokemon from multiple generations, as long as I'm using the same species?

Like if I were fusing Karrablast and Omastar, could I use all the sprites of Omastar from D/P/P, HG/SS, and B/W, while still using Karrablast and Omastar?

Date:   Jul 14, 12 at 1:14pm (PST)
Kimonio Huh, interesting question. I'll allow it. You can use multiple sprites of the same Pokemon.

Date:   Jul 15, 12 at 7:48am (PST)
hey Pheonyx,
if the enties for the tourament are due today,
would it be safe to assume that the results if the entry round will be announced within the week? ?
;D

i'm DYING of excitement, this is the first tournament i've been able to enter on time!!

gahh!

sfdghjkasdfghj

Date:   Jul 15, 12 at 8:49am (PST)
quote Shmexie_x_Deoxys
hey Pheonyx,
if the enties for the tourament are due today,
would it be safe to assume that the results if the entry round will be announced within the week? ?
;D

i'm DYING of excitement, this is the first tournament i've been able to enter on time!!
Yes. While I'm not always on time in this thread, I can guarantee that it'll take less than a week for me to judge and get everything prepared.

Author:   Lizz
Date:   Jul 15, 12 at 8:36pm (PST)
haha... totally not entering in the eleventh hour and totally not editing and reusing a sprite from early 2010... no sir

Author:   Dragon Arbock
Date:   Jul 15, 12 at 9:43pm (PST)
I've got a sort of quick entry for this round;

Delcatty for D and Keldeo for K.

Date:   Jul 16, 12 at 2:30pm (PST)
The Return of Team Plasma
Spriting Tournament

Hey there. Name's Looker, and we just received an anonymous tip that the infamous Team Plasma is back in the area. Unfortunately, the local police force is a little short-handed, so we'll be recruiting anyone who wants to help us catch these criminals. Of course, this is dangerous work, so we'll need to make sure you're up to the challenge first.

Results:

ElectricArcanine
Pass: This Pokemon reminds me of those Halloween costumes with the fake ax and blood in your head. If that's not what you were going for, then I'm at a loss of what the head's supposed to be. Anyway, there's a lack of shading on the front arm, belly, and tail. It's forgivable on the arm, but a few pixels of a darker red, and some more shading on the underside of the tail would help. Regardless, you're in.

Charizard_2
Cut: This was a really tough choice between you and Kanon. What ultimately got you was how each part was fused on. Nothing really fits together, especially the Dragonair tails and the Emboar waist band.

Shmexie_x_Deoxys
Pass: Oh oh, it's an emu, right? ...Cassowary, close enough. See, now you're teaching me about species of animals I've never heard of before. The only comment I have on this is to watch the shading on the black feathers. Some texture's nice, but too much can get you out of the Pokemon style. You're good on this sprite, but any more would be overdoing it.

Brodeo
Pass: Don't really have much to say here, though I do love the little owly look. Only thing that I noticed was the dark outline on the side of the (our) left eye made it look like the eyelid was tilted, but that's just a little nitpick.

AxeLea
Pass: I think you did a good job on the giraffe pattern. However the bright yellow is almost a bit blinding on top of the really dark black. While you can tell the black shading on the head, it just gets lost in the body behind the bright yellow. A slightly lighter gray could fix this problem.

Vast
Cut: I like the idea you were going for here, but the execution killed you. The shading on the belly is too angular, the shading on the head feathers doesn't really make sense, not sure what's going on with the neck... I like the tail wing things, but they're positioned too far to the left. Since the rest of the body is at an angle, the tails should be at an angle as well.

PwnageMaster67
Pass: I'm actually quite impressed, this is probably one of my favorite works from you. This sprite strikes me as an alternate Lairon bodybuilder evolution or something. My biggest concern is where the legs attach to the body, but you've cleverly hid that joint with its arm. Anyway, I hope to see more work like this from you in the tournament! Also, if you're going to use a watermark or signature, (which I assume that thing in the corner is) you don't have to make it quite so distracting.

CJames
Pass: Ah, I love this fusion. It's so clean and the color choice with all the primary colors is quite charming. Honestly, I have nothing bad to say, so good job.

loulybob
Pass: I don't know if you meant it, but the greatest part about this sprite is its attitude. It's hard to fit four Pokemon into a sprite that size, but you did a good job of it by keeping things simple. In fact, by keeping it so simple, using only one part of each Pokemon makes this really close to a 25/25/25/25 fusion. (It's like a 50/50 fusion, but with four instead of two... we need a new term for this...)

Aether
Pass: Oh, I can't find anything to complain about. What I really love about this sprite is the extra swirly patterns. It takes what could have been a very dull and monochromatic sprite and adds, eh, not-dullness. Makes it interesting. It's still monochromatic, but in a classy way.

FourthBeat
Pass: You know, maybe before I continue with this tournament, I go and learn how to properly shade a bird's wing. Pokemon seems to have multiple ways of doing it... Well, your wing looks fine. I want to say the head's maybe a bit too big, but I'm pretty sure if I open up a sprite sheet of any generation I'll find at least a dozen Pokemon with fairly large heads as well. But to be honest I'm really just dancing around the elephant in this sprite. Eh, how to put it... Blaziken can get away with bright red crotch fluff because the rest of it is bright red. This... well, yeah.

anti_righteous
Pass: Welcome back after your five month break! I see you still have it in you. There's nothing in this sprite that's really wrong, but there's nothing that really stands out either. But it's good enough to get you through the gates.

Wombat
Pass: It took me a second, but once I realized that the head was a Scizor claw, I was quite impressed. Design-wise, I think all the angular Pokemon is quite effective. The shading's a bit beginner-ish, though it's on-the-right-track beginnerish and not completely-wrong beginnerish. Organic lifeforms (even angular ones) are have round shapes, so the shading on them is round as well. For instance, the highlight on the head usually looks like a blob of highlight where the forehead would be. Also the shading on the underbelly would curve up to the armpit area. Anyway, overly long shading critique over, can't wait to see what you make for the next round.

Katteyla
Pass: Well, I just spent the last ten minutes looking up what a Gannetwhale is. Anyway, way to come out of the shadows and steal the show. I can't find any faults and could honestly imagine this as a real Pokemon.

Rosehface
Pass: Hey, give yourself some more credit. This is good. Definitely pass worthy material. The head's really good, the lower half could use some work. The shading on the thigh could be a little rounder, and the highlight is a few shades too light, assuming that the bottom half doesn't shine like a metallic surface.

Kanon
Pass: Realize that you only just skated by, and it was the concept of a giant mech that pushed you over the edge. Anyway, I'll keep it fairly simple. More fusing, and your lance or drill or whatever it is looks like a honeycomb on a stick. Like it would snap if it got into any giant mech fights.

Lizz
Pass: Man, I forgot what it was like to judge 18 entries. Keeping things short and sweet, then only thing that gets me is the pose, as it looks unstable. Though for some reason I feel like I've seen it before. What was it... Charmander? Oh hey, you even used Charmander. See, I know what I'm talking about.

Dragon Arbock
Pass: You actually did a great job of fusing all the parts on and making everything fit together. However, I think it would benefit you to recolor your fusion once you're done, so there isn't such a contrast between where one part ends and the other begins.

Good job, looks like we have more than enough recruits. To those who didn't make the cut, keep your ear to the ground, and an opportunity may present itself later. As for the rest of you, we have our first assignment, so listen up. We've marked several locations that Team Plasma is likely to hit, and we need you to make sure they don't get a hold of the Pokemon and artifacts inside. I've randomly paired you up and given you your location, which you can check below.

Your assignment:
Create a gym leader, and their signature Pokemon, based on the location you're given.

Deadline: 12:00 AM, July 24th, my time (-7 GMT)

Report in with this format:
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Opponent:[/b]
[b]Sprite:[/b]
[b]Location given:[/b]
[b]Pokemon Used:[/b]
[b]Comments:[/b]

Dreamyard
Katteyla vs Brodeo

Relic Castle
anti_righteous vs Rosehface

Celestial Tower
Wombat vs Shmexie_x_Deoxys

Dragonspiral Tower
AxeLea vs PwnageMaster67

Challenger's Cave
Aether vs CJames

Black City
Kanon vs FourthBeat

White Forest
Lizz vs ElectricArcanine

Anville Town
loulybob vs Dragon Arbock

By the way, if you're unsure about where you've been assigned, there's this great encyclopedia called Bulbapedia, hopefully it'll give you the information you've been looking for. If there's anything else, feel free to contact me for information. Good luck out there!

Author:   Aether
Date:   Jul 16, 12 at 2:34pm (PST)
I'm against CJames? I'm already screwed. :33

Nice to see all the entries though, some of them were really good, like, incredibly good!

Author:   AxeLea
Date:   Jul 16, 12 at 2:41pm (PST)
I really loved all of the entries! They were honestly some of the best entries I think I have ever seen. And I am against Pwnagemaster67... Well, I pretty much lost, especially since I can't sprite human forms AT ALL. I have tried so many times and fail every single time...

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   Jul 16, 12 at 3:05pm (PST)
So I have to create a gym leader based on Dragon Spiral Tower?

And don't worry, AxeLea, just try your best.

Author:   Wombat
Date:   Jul 16, 12 at 3:06pm (PST)
Oh man oh man I can't believe I'm in! xD;

Thanks for the awesome critique, too! Shading's always been challenging for me, so I'll try to follow your advice.

Good luck to all!

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.