Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!] - page 24

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49734/t1685191-pokemon-white-sprite-contest-new-thread-in-black-2-white-2-forum/24.htm

Author:   4EverSeaMusic
Date:   May 28, 12 at 12:10pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!]
-------------------------------------------
Just got here now.
Sooo, should Lizz judge, or me? I'm free on Wednesday...

Author:   Pheonyx
Date:   May 28, 12 at 1:58pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!]
Ah, that can be up to you two. Personally I don't see myself having free time until... June 8th. So, yeah... I suppose if 4EverSeaMusic can do it Wednesday then that's great, and if not Lizz can take it.

Author:   Lizz
Date:   May 28, 12 at 3:04pm (PST)
I'm cool with whatever you want to do 4Eva, as I'm not "technically" a judge here anymore :b

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   May 28, 12 at 6:14pm (PST)

Everyone who played Pikmin 2 knows who this guy is...

Date:   May 28, 12 at 8:23pm (PST)
Haha, I actually have an entry in all this chatter XD

I actually didn't do a Gaga this time I chose something a little... closer to home, though it is a tad unpleasant. My "unpleasant emotion" is more of a nasty habit, but it stems from bad feelings, so its all ok :3 let's just say I've got problems with my weight and diet (I overeat, I over-work out, I feel sick, I don't each much the next day, vicious vicious cycle...). So this is my ED sprite, in that pose where you're pinching or grabbing the flab in your belly to see how much is there, or just being super hungry from not wanting to eat much, take your pick.

Author:   4EverSeaMusic
Date:   May 30, 12 at 12:34pm (PST)
Forget what I said =P Being lazy costed me too much. It's already 9:30 , and I wasted my entire afternoon on sleeping. I really gotta study, but since I'll be up all night, I'll probably get bored too, so I'll try to judge. Can't promise anything, but I'll try. I hope the judging will be posted by morning!

Sorry, reeeeeally don't have the time=( Could you please judge Lizz?

Date:   May 31, 12 at 6:48pm (PST)
It's cool, I just got home from tutoring, so I'll take care of it before I go to bed. No harm done (:

Because I felt like having a fancy font, and because this is my first time back judging for about six months or so. Apparently entering a round is grounds for being asked to judge, though I have no complaints. Feels pretty good to be back, even though I get to judge the worst feelings we all get. Without further ado, let the judging begin!

quote Brodeo

[A]
A scratch I'll assume, not only because of your name (; I can tell by the outline, that pure black outline that vanishes whenever I copy it into paint -_- oh well, that's no real fault, just a judging pet peeve. Don't worry, that doesn't affect your score. My first thought with this little sprite isn't really suicide actually; it makes me think of an evil little ghost-jester-thing that spirits around and belittles ones self-esteem until they are reduced to a shell of their former self, filled with worries and regrets. Not suicide, but a bit the cause of such. On the technical side, it isn't a bad sprite, but I have a few shading pointers to mention. The face looks a bit flat to me, and the belly looks a tad pillowshaded. I nitpick, you know that, well done.

quote loulybob

[C+]
Is this a scratch, I'm pretty sure at least part of it is, even though I know the vapor is straight from Ghastly. While I know absolutely nothing about Watership Down (except how to spell it), I can get a particular vibe off of this one, a sort of Dementor-esque Pokemon, to spread doom and despair to the world. The concept is good, but I think the spriting needs a push to get on par. The first thing that jumps out to me are the eyes, how blank and glassy they are. I know that might have been the intention, but it certainly stands out. From there, I notice the ample amount of black and dark outline. Whenever you have highlights, you should have some light outline close by. There are pretty much three types of outline: Light, which is used only by highlights and the light source, Dark, which is used as a transition from light to black, and is used mostly in areas of base color, and Black, which is used for shadows. Finally, I want to talk about anatomy for a second. While some Pokemon certainly are slender, the way you've posed yours makes it seem not only a tad flat, but also a bit elongated. I'm no master at explaining anatomy, but I can usually spot it when I see it.

quote DaDarkNinetales

[C-]
Fear and Confusion are certainly little buggers aren't they? I know plenty of both, so I can sympathize with this sprite a bit. I do have quite a few technical things to talk about today. First, I'm going to attempt to talk about anatomy again. The main thing I see here that seems amiss are the legs. The joints are the most obvious flaw I can spot here, they look like the rear legs of a dog, and don't seem to fit in with the rest of the body. Mainly the leg on our left side, it looks like it's in quite the painful position. Proportion is key in many many sprites, it keeps things in balance, and allows the creature to flow. The legs here overpower the rest of the body. In contrast to the bulbous legs, the arms look rather noodley. I'd recommend working on Pixel-Overs for a while, to help grasp the concept of proportion. It's something I've picked up throughout the year, if you work with enough good examples, they'll rub off on you.

quote CJames

[A-]
Haha, you can totally use other colors and still call it a scratch. The shading and outline is still yours, isn't it? I like most of the shape, though I feel like the joint to the tail should curve a little more. As far as I know, sharks are pretty fluid, they don't move in blocky motions. My only real problem I see here is the shading, which is really the hardest part of any sprite. The ovular styles of highlight color makes me feel like the shark is pressing against, like aquarium glass or something. Evidently, it's very angry at some rude spectator or something like that. Congrats on the scratch though. My best advise for shading has, and always will be ReVamps, they're all about shading and proper color outlining, it's wonderful for practice.

quote PwnageMaster67

[ B ]
As I've never played PikminII, to my regret, I did have to do a little searching to figure out what on this earth this thing was suppose to be. (And I still have very little Idea) Though I did do a bit of digging, and found a spot on the Spriters Resource. This sprite is a pixel over isn't it? That being said, I think you still need a bit of practice on your shading. At this point, it doesn't really look bad, but at the same time, it doesn't give the appearance of form (the illusion of depth), and it doesn't look very pokemon-ey. That might very well be intended for this sprite, however, we are in a Pokemon Contest here, so that does bring your grade down a bit.

quote Lizz

[X]
Can someone please judge my ED sprite please?

New Theme: A Dark Shadow
Create a Pokemon that is *Part* Dark. It must have a second type. This should appear to be a new Pokemon, not an obvious fusion.
Judge: I really don't know XD probably Pheo
Date: June 8 (Day before Graduation EEP!)

Author:   loulybob
Date:   Jun 01, 12 at 7:00am (PST)
Mine is a scratch, even the gas (although I did base it off of Ghastly's). I think I forgot about the light outline colour so it may very well be that that brought my grade down >.<; And about the anatomy, it is purposely elongated like what it is based off of:

But I may have based my sprite off of it too literally to be considered a Pokémon sprite with the anatomy disproportions.

I'll try to think of something to enter this round with, although nothing comes immediately to mind OTL

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   Jun 01, 12 at 6:06pm (PST)
Its not a pixel over, I tried to copy the official art.

Date:   Jun 02, 12 at 1:40pm (PST)
Hokay, let's get something done today.

quote Lizz
[A] Oh my god there's words there! Clever... clever... Anyway, the first thing I thought when I saw this sprite was, "Oh my gosh Lizz is pregnant!" as the hand over the stomach is a universal sign of a bun in the oven. Of course I wouldn't know how to show an eating disorder otherwise, so... don't shock me like that. Anyway, I think the one thing to point out here is the anatomy on the arm behind the back. The forearm should come down a little farther, the elbow is usually placed right above the hip. Unless I have unusually long arms as I am using myself as a comparison. But great job and all that.
...Oh, and one more nitpicky detail that I caught at the last second, the open part of the shirt looks a little... flapish? Like it looks more like a front flap, rather than wrapping around the body as a shirt would. But nitpicks nitpicks...

Oh, and I should be available to judge June 8th, so it's all good.

Date:   Jun 06, 12 at 9:48pm (PST)
I thought this theme would be way more popular... it's so open. Back in the old days, everyone loved to get a chance to stretch their imagination and be creative. Suppose things have changed a bit.

PENEBRAE - Ice/Dark

PENEBRAE, the evolvef form of PADUM evolves only when neglected or abused by its trainer. After evolving, they usually flee from their trainer and retreat into the wilderness. For this reason, their behavior and habits are mostly unknown, but they have been known to attack researchers who have tracked them.

Date:   Jun 06, 12 at 10:14pm (PST)
I may extend this a bit, I want to enter myself but I'm not free until tomorrow evening.

Author:   CJames
Date:   Jun 08, 12 at 4:38pm (PST)
    I've been playing around with the idea of a nautilus sprite for ages, but I hadn't been able to come up with a good idea for one. I then found a great picture on Google Images, which inspired me to make this:

Unfortunately, it's not that much of a nautilus sprite any more. :L I still feel like the body is too plain, but I've spent too much time on it already, and I feel that if I try to add more I'll only ruin it.
    Well, it's a Water/Dark type, and is fully scratched.

Author:   Kimonio
Date:   Jun 08, 12 at 11:45pm (PST)

Psychic/Dark

A monk manifestation created by the Unown M, using both positive and negative energy given off by humans. The pink flames represent positive(Psychic) energy, while the purple is negative(Dark). If one goes out, the balance interrupted, the manifest will either fade away, or become a real walking creature.

Author:   Angela
Date:   Jun 10, 12 at 4:38am (PST)

An evolution of my fakemon, ghost/dark.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.