Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!] - page 22

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49734/t1685191-pokemon-white-sprite-contest-new-thread-in-black-2-white-2-forum/22.htm

Author:   Dragon Arbock
Date:   Apr 26, 12 at 5:21pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!]
-------------------------------------------
I'm working on an entry. Just saying in case you actually judge in time.

Author:   Pheonyx
Date:   Apr 26, 12 at 5:34pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!]
quote Dragon Arbock
I'm working on an entry. Just saying in case you actually judge in time.
Haha... ha... ugh I really am lazy... (Well to be fair it's not my turn to judge, but to expand on that...)

So turns out both 4EverSeaMusic and I are really busy this weekend, so judging's been pushed back to Monday. Can't wait to see some more entries, great entries so far!

Date:   Apr 27, 12 at 4:54pm (PST)
I've finished my entry (albeit a day late );

Venomoth and Butterfree recolored as the two forms of the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly. Venomoth is the male form, while Butterfree is the dark morph version of the female.

Author:   Vast
Date:   Apr 29, 12 at 6:53pm (PST)

Rainbows. O:

Date:   May 02, 12 at 11:00pm (PST)
Judging!
Unfortunately my co-judge is still busy. In which case I'll grab this. You can take it next week.

quote Pokefan2002
[B+] Overall, there's really no problem with these recolors. The one thing that'll get you into the A range, though, is to get a little more creative than a simple palette swap.

quote FluffySk1lls
[B-] I agree, your Arbok is the best. There's really nothing wrong with it, so let's start with Cobalion. I see you took out some of the shading on its chest fluff and horns. When bringing colors over from one sprite to another, sometimes the number of shades doesn't match, in which case it may be wise to add another shade yourself. Don't worry, us judges aren't combing over your sprite with the eyedropper tool to see if you used exactly Arbok's colors. In this case, I'd add a shade between the yellow and orange, as there's a lot of contrast between them. Which brings us to Dragonair. Once again, sometimes colors look fine on one Pokemon, but awkward on another. There's too much contrast between shades, and the outline isn't quite dark enough. Again, feel free to lighten or darken colors to make the sprite look better.

quote Angela
[A-] Not bad, I like how you kept to cats as well. The problem though is that all the stripes are black. I see that you anialiased the edges of the stripes with a gray, which is good, but there should also be primarily gray on the stripes in the light. Arcanine is a good example of what I'm talking about.

quote loulybob
[A+] I love it! You did a great job of keeping things simple, yet interesting in your recolor. The stars were a great touch on Braviary as well.

quote Dragon Arbock
[A-] I ended up spending several minutes reading about butterflies... Anyway, love your choice of theme. The big problem though is the contrast and brightness of the yellow on the Venamoth. Just bump down the brightness of the yellow, increase the contrast between the shades of yellow, and darken the yellow outline, and you'd have a very impressive recolor.

quote Vast
[C] Kudos for not just going with a simple recolor, but your big issue here is the complete disappearance of any shading. Make sure you keep the shading intact when recoloring. There's also a few other problems, like some of the outline missing, and this weird half-shade on Seviper's tail, but the lack of shading is your biggest concern.

Winners:
1st: loulybob
2nd: Angela, Dragon Arbock
3rd: Pokefan2002

New Theme: Create a sprite based on mythology.
Judge: 4EverSeaMusic
Due Date: May 10th

Author:   loulybob
Date:   May 03, 12 at 12:17am (PST)
Wow an A+ 8D I'm glad you liked them, especially the stars because it was a pain to get them to look right >.>

Now I'll have to go brush up on some myths before I find one I was to sprite with ;D

Author:   Pokefan2002
Date:   May 03, 12 at 5:44pm (PST)
Since this is a mythology theme, can I make, say, a unicorn pegasus or a hydra hell hound?
I'm a big fan of myths, Greek, Roman, Chinese, Japanese, Celtic, etc.

Date:   May 03, 12 at 8:27pm (PST)
quote Pokefan2002
Since this is a mythology theme, can I make, say, a unicorn pegasus or a hydra hell hound?
I'm a big fan of myths, Greek, Roman, Chinese, Japanese, Celtic, etc.
Sure. Go for it.

Author:   Brodeo
Date:   May 04, 12 at 4:02am (PST)

Sebeast

It's based off of some water beast myth that look exactly like my sprite.
I'll try and find the actual name again if you don't believe me
But I'm lazy right now.

Author:   Pokefan2002
Date:   May 04, 12 at 6:22pm (PST)

This is a ophiotaurus from Greek mythology.

Date:   May 05, 12 at 5:45pm (PST)

A gryphon, because pokemon still needs one.
Pokemon used; Luxray, Braviary, Vulpix, Ninetales, Fearow, & Skarmory.

Author:   Steelzy
Date:   May 05, 12 at 8:36pm (PST)
quote Dragon Arbock

A gryphon, because pokemon still needs one.
Pokemon used; Luxray, Braviary, Vulpix, Ninetales, Fearow, & Skarmory.
You are boss

Author:   Katteyla
Date:   May 07, 12 at 4:01pm (PST)
I haven't entered in a while, so here's a Fire-type Chimera.

Complete scratch, C+C appreciated.

Author:   4EverSeaMusic
Date:   May 10, 12 at 6:35am (PST)
I still have a lot of studying to do today, so I'll judge tomorrow!

Author:   CJames
Date:   May 10, 12 at 2:05pm (PST)
    Here's my last minute entry:

It's either a faun from Roman mythology or a satyr from Greek mythology, however you'd like to see it. It's inspired almost entirely from the faun from Pan's Labyrinth, a beautiful film which I highly recommend. ^-^

It's almost entirely scratched. I only fused the arms and hands, because it's almost impossible to scratch those. .-.
    Although, I did really scratch the hands as smaller versions of Will's because his were too big.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.