Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!] - page 16

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49734/t1685191-pokemon-white-sprite-contest-new-thread-in-black-2-white-2-forum/16.htm

Author:   Emberguard
Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 1:31am (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!]
-------------------------------------------
DarkFireEternal

It's looks more like a pixel over or a picture then a sprite, when your doing fuses the idea to to get pre-existing sprites and put parts of them together to make a new sprite. That will give you your size.

For this one the sprites you'd of needed are:

http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/normal/mudkip.png

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/0a/025.png

http://www.poke-amph.com/black-white/sprites/large/403.png

EmberEdit: the other thing is that sprites should be no bigger then about 90-ish pixels for height and width, certainly no more then 96 pixels for width and height

Author:   DarkFireEternal
Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 1:58am (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!]
I see...
Thanks for the information!
Edit: Wait, if my picture doesn't count as a sprite, will it get judged at all?

Author:   Hmszelda
Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 9:57pm (PST)
quote DarkFireEternal
I see...
Thanks for the information!
Edit: Wait, if my picture doesn't count as a sprite, will it get judged at all?
It will probably be DQ'd :c

Author:   Pheonyx
Date:   Jan 22, 12 at 2:25am (PST)
Judging!

Thank you everyone for your patience. Seems like school just decided to throw all of my work into one week. But it seems like a bunch of spriters were able to get more entries in thanks to the extension.

Also, I'm still accepting applicants for trial judging. For the two people who have so far expressed interest, I'll get a sheet up and running hopefully in the next few days. Or... eventually...

quote 4EverSeaMusic
[A-] A very creative way to fuse three Pokemon that otherwise wouldn't go well together. There are two main issues that bother me. First, the rounder lower portion of its body is a bit confusing. It looks as though it has the world's largest hips. Second, the membranes on the wings should attach to its body, not cut off before then. Also, though I can tell you used it, the Mewtwo base gets lost within the add-ons from other Pokemon.

quote SpritersApprentice16
[C+] Technically there's nothing wrong with this sprite, but there's not much done as well. To get a better than average grade, you'll need to mix in a little more from each Pokemon, other than simply sticking on arms from Emboar and wings from Swoobat. Try changing the body type from each Pokemon to get a dynamic effect.

quote DaDarkNinetales
[B-] Augh, I really wanted to give this sprite a higher grade, since you're certainly brave with your fusing, but a few too many technical issues hold this back. Let's start with the... I'm guessing that the bow from Froslass. The shading doesn't make any sense. I'd love to give you some pointers to fix it up, but shading weird surfaces, like bows, is something I've yet to get a handle on myself. Moving on, the gray areas are overshaded, and the highlight on the top of its head should be a shadow, due to the hat on its head.

quote Pheonyx
To be judged by... someone... Lizz? Any of the other judges?

quote Emberguard
[B-] I'm going to have to take your word for it that you only used three Pokemon in this. It took me a while, but I finally found bits that I recognized from each of the three Pokemon you mentioned (very creative use of Machamp's head rims by the way) but you must have gotten quite complicated in the body and head areas. Unfortunately, you made the mistake of using black as a shade color. Pure black should only be used in the outline. Even black colored Pokemon use a dark gray for their shade color. Also, overall there's too much contrast between the base colors and the shade colors.

quote PwnageMaster67
[B-] I see you're making good use of Deoxor's outliner method. I'll have to try it out at some point... For the sprite, the outline colors are a bit too dark. I didn't see that they were colored until I zoomed in. It could also use some colored outline on the feet and a little more on the back as well. Something else your sprite needs is a better defined neck. Without it, the head looks malformed to one side. There a few other shading nitpicky issues, but you can worry about those once you fix the head.

quote TskyoTai
[C] Overall not bad, but your mix of Pokemon is off. There's barely any Umbreon, and a lot of Gliscor. Your sprite will look a lot more dynamic the more you mix it up.

quote Shadow Wolf 10
[A-] Hey, good to see you around here again. First thing's first... I really really like what you did with the head. And the arms. And... bit of a Blaziken fan you see. Anyway, I can't really find anything wrong, other than the tail looks like it's in front of the wing, though it should be behind. Also, simply due to position, there's a bit of an optical illusion around the hand/wing/tail area, where it's difficult to see what's connected to what. Moving the arm a pixel or two to the left would probably solve this.

quote anti_righteous
[A-] Maybe I'm just not a fan of Beheeyem, but the head kind of scares me. Anyway, just a few nitpicky things about the Scrafty bits. The stripes on the belly are uneven. One stripe leans to the left, and the one underneath it leans to the right. ...If that makes any sense. Also, the little bump in the pants line looks weird without the lip in the pants to show the saggyness of the pants. ...If that makes any sense. It's late and I've only eaten ice cream all day, I'm having trouble explaining things.

quote Deoxor
[B+] Not bad. Like you said, there's more Druddigon and Haxorous than Heatmor, but it's pretty close. The main issue is that the hand and leg closest to the viewer needs more highlights. Even though it's never taught (at least in any tutorials that I've ever seen) it's a good rule of thumb that any body parts closer to the viewer gets more highlights than body parts further from the viewer.

quote ElectricArcanine
[B] Forgive me for being a bit more blunt on your sprite than others', it's taken me all day to do this and I'm getting tired. The ears don't look attached, the forehead is unnaturally straight, and the frill around the neck has no colored outline. You did a good job fusing the lower half, I can't immediately tell where the Vulpix starts and Jolteon ends.

quote Lizz
[A] Psh, even your old fusions look good. I'd really like to find something on this sprite to nag you about, but I'm a little burnt out on judging. So I'll just leave it as good job as usual.

quote DarkFireEternal
[DQ] Unfortunately, this doesn't qualify as a sprite here. If you'd still like to enter the next round, though, you can find a large selection of sprites to use at The Spriter's Resource.

Winners:
To be announced when my sprite is judged.

New Theme: Create a new Pokemon based around an emotion. Can be any emotion: happiness, anger, excitement, etc. Whatever you feel like.
Due Date: January 28th

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   Jan 22, 12 at 3:04am (PST)
quote Pheonyx
I see you're making good use of Deoxor's outliner method.
I use it even before I saw that

Author:   Deoxor
Date:   Jan 22, 12 at 5:04am (PST)
quote PwnageMaster67
I use it even before I saw that
I'm not surprised, I'm not the first person to use Outliner. I just noticed that there was not a tutorial on a method such as that, so I decided that it could be helpful to those who aren't entirely sure on their abilities as a spriter. It definitely helped me, as I'm much better at scratch spriting now.

Author:   EverSeaMusic
Date:   Jan 22, 12 at 2:08pm (PST)

Based on Anger, Hate...
Used: Mewtwo, Rayquaza, Rapidash, Houndoom, Misdreavous, Scizor and I don't remember : P

Author:   TskyoTai
Date:   Jan 24, 12 at 12:53am (PST)

My entry. Its an angry fighting type.

Originally I wanted to use a fire type... Gotta learn decent scratching skills one of these days...

Author:   CJames
Date:   Jan 24, 12 at 7:00pm (PST)
Here's my entry, based on fear or anxiety:

They're incredibly cautious Pokémon who'll run and hide whenever they hear the slightest suspicious sound. They're hard to train because they're so scared of their trainers.

I fused the head and ears, but the entire body, the eyes and the mouth are scratched.

Author:   Dragon Arbock
Date:   Jan 25, 12 at 12:17am (PST)
Never mind, Nyx. I've found this place on my own.

My entry;

It is a ghost type that represents sadness and heartbreak
(espeon base, sandshrew, golduck, azelf, cryogonal, gastly, and zorroark, plus some scratch work)

Date:   Jan 25, 12 at 1:12am (PST)
Hi DA.

Trial judging forms have been sent out. If you signed up for trial judging but have not received a form, please notify me!

Date:   Jan 29, 12 at 1:06am (PST)
Gonna wait a little longer to see if we can get one more entry.
Unfortunately for my schedule, "a little longer" probably means one more week. But we'll see.

Also, trial judging still due the 1st, so don't procrastinate on that.

Author:   Vast
Date:   Jan 30, 12 at 3:24am (PST)
quote Pheonyx
Unfortunately for my schedule, "a little longer" probably means one more week. But we'll see.

Hey, how do we sign up for trial judging?

Date:   Jan 30, 12 at 3:47am (PST)
quote Vast
quote Pheonyx

Hey, how do we sign up for trial judging?
Sending me a PM saying that you want to. But since you're a bit late, you only have three days to complete it.

Author:   Owlboy122
Date:   Jan 30, 12 at 6:30pm (PST)
how do u upload a picture?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.