Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!] - page 10

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49734/t1685191-pokemon-white-sprite-contest-new-thread-in-black-2-white-2-forum/10.htm

Author:   Lizz
Date:   Oct 31, 11 at 2:42am (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!]
-------------------------------------------
Judging Time

quote Lizz

NEW THEME: Monochromatic
Literally meaning one color, create a sprite using one color, including its shades and tints. (IE: lots of different shades of blue, or a color scheme like red and pink (as pink if a tint of red.)

Pretty simple thing, and rather open too. It's an idea I picked up from my Drawing and Painting Class. Monochromatic color schemes can be very fun to play with, and experimenting with such a variety of tints and shades is quite fun! The other thing about a color scheme like this is that you are allowed to use black and white, as they are the lightest and darkest tints and shades of the colors, respectively. I'm I hope everyone had a ball making their sprites! Without further ado, let the judging begin!

quote spikypichulover007

[C]
You're right in one regard, this sprite is rather simple, but I strongly discourage spriters from calling their own creations rubbish. Such harsh words don't do anything to help you make better sprites, they'll only further to frustrate you. All I see here is a Snivy, recolored to a more saturated green, and minutely fused with a Pokabu. I say "minutely" because there really isn't a lot of fusing in here. Finally, and this flaw seems to be shared with many of the sprites, is that you don't seem to have any black outline. I know there was some confusion about using black with this theme, so I'm going a bit lighter on the outline than I normally do.

quote 4EverSeaMusic

[B+]
This is a nice example of how you can take the whole gradient scale of a color, and use it. This is a nice little grey monochrome sprite, and a decent fusion of Vulpix and Zoura to boot! I do like the face that you have included black in your outline! I want there to be more contrast in the lighter sections. I had a difficult time seeing the shading without zooming in. I also want a little more dark outline in the light sections as well. My final little comment is that the fur on the top of its head looks a little bit jagged.

quote CJames21

[A]
Now this was exactly what I was hoping to see in a round like this. A nice mix of blues, using many tints and shades, and a great variety of saturation! If you're not sure what all that means, don't worry, it's just a lot of art jargon. The only thing I have to caution you on is to be careful not to overshade your sprite, because if you fall too deeply into that habit, because it is not only difficult to pull yourself out of that deep pit, but it will also cause a good number of your wonderful sprites to loose a good deal of their luster.

quote WarMachineBO

[E]
I think I mentioned earlier, before anyone entered, that I would like to avoid recolors as much as possible. For such an open theme like this, it really is a shame to waste it on something as simple as a recolor alone. Secondly, at first glance, it appears that you have used very few colors, but upon extremely close examination, I see that you have used very many, very similar reds. I noticed that you have also used the MS Paint default red, which is usually one of the colors that needs to be avoided, as it sucks the life out of a sprite. There is also almost no shading. I mentioned in the description of the theme that you could use all the shades and tints of whatever color you chose to help you create your sprite. In choosing not to take this advice, you've allowed this sprite to fall from grace.

quote Emberguard

[D+]
This falls to many of the same problems and the entry above, how this sprite appears to be more of a recolor than a sprite made of skill, which does significantly lower your grade. for some reason, the sprite looks a little flat to me. Not exactly sure why, maybe the light greys on the belly don't have enough contrast, maybe they're shaded opposite to the light source, or maybe there's too much dark outline around the belly. I'm not exactly sure, maybe its a mix of all of those reasons.

quote Brodeo

[A-]
I do really like this, and it fits into the theme really nicely. I'm just very worried that you're slipping into over-shading, and once you're in, its very hard to get out. I just feel like there's also too much light outline, especially on the body. It really is a very difficult balance to achieve, between light and dark, but you're nearly there!

quote Hmszelda

[D+]
This isn't exactly what I meant my Monochromatic. As I said in the theme, you were free to use all the tints and shades that you wanted to, so you could create a great sprite. There isn't really enough shading here, and the colors that you have don't have enough contrast, I couldn't even see the different shades without zooming in. There's also simply too much black or "dark" outline. As far as the theme goes, the violet eyes don't quite match.

quote Exxmaniac

[size=2][A(+)]

Your sprites never fail to impress me Exxie! This is particularly beautiful, your subtle use of saturation to create a color scheme is wonderful! There's only one tiny little thing, I'm just confused on how the anatomy fits together around the head. I'm just having a little bit of trouble wrapping my head around it. I also feel like you need a little bit more black outline.

First: Exxmaniac
Second: CJames21
Third: Brodeo

New Theme: Movies
Everyone loves a good movie, I went through about two of them getting this judging done. Create a character from a movie, human or animal. Please no unaltered, pre-existing sprites.
Judge: Pheonyx
Date: November 5th

Author:   CJames
Date:   Oct 31, 11 at 3:07am (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon White Sprite Contest [New Thread in Black 2/White 2 Forum!]
Thanks, Lizz. I actually do know what all those words mean, because I take art for my GCSEs.
I think I've worked out why I sometimes over-shade. I used Latias/Latios (I can't remember which) for the head, which I used first, and that has lots of shades, so I tried to make the rest of the sprite fit that style. I should try and convert the shading to the new style from now on.

Ooh, and excellent. I love film themes, because it gives me a good excuse to put everything I have into creating a Harry Potter sprite. ^-^

Author:   Emberguard
Date:   Oct 31, 11 at 4:54am (PST)
Thanks Lizz, I actually did the sprite from scratch, guess I needed a position that was even less like the pose in the games

Author:   Hmszelda
Date:   Oct 31, 11 at 12:55pm (PST)
x3 i should have left it brown i guess
thanks lizz!

Author:   spikypichulover007
Date:   Oct 31, 11 at 7:28pm (PST)
Thanks Lizz, it was definately better than my last attempt. I understand it was simple but I didn't want to do too much and then mess it up.

A C is good anyway

Thanks again

Author:   Glacxor
Date:   Oct 31, 11 at 8:43pm (PST)
Ill have to think about this one, wether Ill try or not.

spikypichulover007 I didnt know you sprited!

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   Nov 01, 11 at 2:47pm (PST)
I might enter...

Author:   spikypichulover007
Date:   Nov 01, 11 at 4:47pm (PST)
quote Glacxor

I do, badly. I thought I'd try it and I enjoy it now I can upload my images without them being messed up.

Author:   Glacxor
Date:   Nov 01, 11 at 4:54pm (PST)
quote spikypichulover007
quote Glacxor

I do, badly. I thought I'd try it and I enjoy it now I can upload my images without them being messed up.
Nah, youre sprites look quite good if youve just started spriting You just need to practise more

Edit: Think Ive decided on my entry now guys...

Date:   Nov 03, 11 at 8:31pm (PST)
Here's my entry:

Is Batman.

Author:   ElectricArcanine
Date:   Nov 04, 11 at 1:15am (PST)
quote CJames21
Here's my entry:

Is Batman.
That looks epic. If I can beat off the flu, I'll enter something.
~EA~

Author:   Pheonyx
Date:   Nov 08, 11 at 4:46pm (PST)
So, seeing as we only have one entry...

Theme Change: Make a sprite based on any storytelling medium: movies, tv, books, anime, manga, etc. CJames is free to keep his old sprite, or reenter a new one if he so desires.

You have one more week.

Date:   Nov 08, 11 at 4:59pm (PST)
God, people, a movies theme is so easy.

Eh, I may as well keep my entry. It was pulled out of another one, so it wouldn't be fair to do it again.

Author:   Lizz
Date:   Nov 11, 11 at 3:41am (PST)
Alright, I know this is sudden, I didn't see it coming either, but it's my time to step down. I do not have the time to devote here to the contests any longer. Well, that's not the best way to say it, I don't really think I've had the time in the past few months. I've been trying as hard as I can to keep these contests running well, but I can tell that I have been failing. For that I sincerely apologize, I consider you all my family, my brothers and sisters, and I really don't enjoy letting you all down time and time again. I've been thinking about this little by little, its been coming on for a little while, and now I think its time. I know you all have changed me for good.
Pheonyx this is a hard goodbye for me. Over here, it's been just you and I for such a long time, I don't even know how long. Although I didn't grow up in Diamond, I still formed a bond with the contest. I was still a fairly new judge, and I was so surprised when you chose me during the trial judging all those many months ago. Since then, after SL left, its been you and I for so long, and it gets so deep when its just one - on - one for so long. I just don't know what to say, I am going to miss you Pheo.

Author:   Pheonyx
Date:   Nov 11, 11 at 4:20am (PST)
Sorry to hear that Lizz. It's been a great time working with you. Even though I was head judge when SL left, I was still a fairly new judge, and it was a bit frightening to think I'd be responsible for an already largely successful contest. But somehow having you as co-judge got me through that, and now I'm the one making all the "kids these days" jokes. I hope you'll do well in whatever's got your time now.

So, in light of this, I have two small announcements. First, I'll be holding off trial judging for a bit. The reason why directly relates to announcement two, being:

Come on! Let's see some entries! It's the fandom round, everyone loves the fandom round!

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.