Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pokemon Black Spriting Competition | Theme: Cosplay - page 6

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49733/t1677473-pokemon-black-spriting-competition-theme-cosplay/6.htm

Author:   Lizz
Date:   Oct 15, 11 at 3:57am (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon Black Spriting Competition | Theme: Cosplay
-------------------------------------------
Judging Time

quote NickAlert

[B]
Omastar.

I can see you've been practicing a little bit while you've been away, but you've also missed the comments that we give over here. There are a few little things that I need to comment on here. Firstly, I didn't really recognise this as Omastar at first, I thought it was some odd Ben10 thing or something. The tentacles threw my off a little bit. The Tentacles in Omastar are much more understated. I also think you need more black outline, particularly in the far arm and the helmet. Be careful with the rest of your outline, there's some blue outline in the legs. Finally, the sprite also looks a little bit overshaded, most black and white sprites don't have more than two shades in the clothes (or in this case tentacles).

quote Shmexie_x_Deoxys
[B]
Manaphy.

Trainers are quite a bit different than normal sprites aren't they? I don't like how dark the outline is on the left side of the skirt. The skirt itself also looks flat right there. I also feel like you need more black outline on the piece of hair on the right side of the body. Overall, it just looks kind of bland, kind of boring. I'm glad to hear it was fun though!

quote Zeezow
[C]
Gardevoir

I'm so glad to see that you gave this theme a try! I think you do need a little bit more practice with trainers though. The hair in particular catches my eye. Trainer hair isn't really shaded like that usually, it follows the same general rules about light source that the rest of the sprite has to follow. I love your interpretation for the clothes however, so glad that you didn't do the stereotypical long white flow-ey dress for this one. However, I think there are some stray yellow pixels by the red piece in the back.

quote Glacxor
[B+]
Kangaskhan

I absolutely love this idea! The execution is pulled off so well, its just brilliant! There are a few little things I have to comment on though. I think you may have forgotten to recolor the outline on the little one's hair, and the daddy's hair looks a little bit awkward, like its not shaded well. Try not to shade in straight lines. The outfits however, are pretty spot on for Kangaskhan!

quote CJames21
[B+]
Krookodile

You are NOT RUBBISH!! I would never say that, you know that. You might want to be a little less hard on yourself, because this really isn't a bad cosplay! In fact, I really don't have that many comments! First, I don't like how pillowshaded the front looks. Pillowshading here having the meaning of shading consisting of simply a thin band of shadow close to the outline. I also don't really like where the shirt meets the pants, I think you need a more definitive outline.
quote Emberguard
[C]
Meowth.

I remember judging this sprite not too long ago!
Meowth Cosplay I do believe. It's alright, did you scratch it? To me, this looks like a trainer that would belong more in the GBA era than in today's trainer sprites. Most trainers sprites do not face away from the viewer, and those that do usually turn their heads at least a little bit towards the viewer. This sprite is just looking plain away from the viewer. I also think the yellow in the hair is too bright. It isn't too related to Meowth, and draws the eye. Finally, you do need more black outline!

quote Deoxor
[B-]
Suicine

Suicune love <3 ! This is a pretty cool sprite, Suicune obsession aside. There are some shading problems, mostly in the torso, which you've sneakily covered up with pattern (clever!) I think the main thing that bugs me is the hair, I mean, it represents Suicune and all, but it just doesn't look natural for a trainer. Also check your outline on the hair in relation to your light source (namely on the left side). The top of th eleft leg also needs some light outline. Thank you for the suicune cosplay

quote anti_righteous
[A]
Yanma

I do love your trainers, though I'm almost one-hundred percent certain that I've either seen this somewhere before or judged this before. My only real qualm with this sprite is proportion, that the legs seem too short for the body. Well done!

quote neffoneR
[A-]
Duskull.

I'll be honest, this is one of my favorite entries of the round, but it kind of misses the point of "cosplay". Generally a Cosplay is a Human dressed in clothes (usually involving the hair too) to resemble a Pokemon. There are really two things that take away from this, the first and more important of these is that there are no feet! The second here is the face or mask / skull thing. Even if it was a mask, the eyes just don't look human-like. As far as the technical aspect, this sprite really is very good.

quote Hmszelda

[A-]
Oddish

You guys really need to get more positive, simplicity is a lot of times a good thing, and when used well, can stop a sprite looking chaotic or cluttered. Personally, I really like this, I think it is a good representation of Oddish. However, I'm really not a huge fan of fusing Pokemon sprites and trainer sprites together, I prefer scratch, maybe a little harder, but the result generally fits the sprite better. This time however, it looks pretty good (more gijinka than cosplay but still good). Basic and simple really fits this sprite well, as Oddish itself is basic and simple. There's no need to over-complicate things.

It's almost midnight, and I need sleep,, and tying is hard tonight, I explained below...

New Theme: Medicine
Create a sprite that has something to do with LEGAL medicine. This could range from something Chansey-related to nurse joy to whatever you can think of.
Date: October 29th
Judge: electricarcanine (let me know how your arm is doing)

Anyone remember a few weeks ago, like five weeks ago, when I jacked up my hand? It's still nasty swollen... so if my comments are short (which I hope not, I tried to be good for you guys) here's why.

Author:   CJames
Date:   Oct 15, 11 at 4:10am (PST)
Thanks, Lizz, I appreciate it. I hope your hand gets better, it looks really painful!
Also, is there any news on the trial judging? I'm not sure if it's for this contest, but it's been a while.

The new theme is interesting. I'll have to think of ideas later, though, 'cause it's five in the morning, and I need me some sleep, especially as I've got a college open day to go to tomorrow...

Author:   Emberguard
Date:   Oct 15, 11 at 5:06am (PST)
Thanks Lizz, your right, I think this was the one I did it for but decided I might as well put it in the other to get a second opinion xD

I'll see what I can do for this round

Author:   ElectricArcanine
Date:   Oct 15, 11 at 11:28am (PST)
Nice judging and new theme Lizz! Hope your hand will get better soon, my arm still hurts like hell, but at least it's in a sling now. I found out today that it's a hairline fracture of my elbow. I might cook up something .
~EA~

Author:   Hmszelda
Date:   Oct 15, 11 at 12:03pm (PST)
I tried scratching the leaves but it didnt work at all xS
Anyway thanks for the A-!
Hope your hand feels better D:

Author:   Deoxor
Date:   Oct 15, 11 at 1:21pm (PST)
Oooch, that looks pretty dang nasty! Reminds me of that time I first got stung by a bee... my knee was 3 times more swollen than it should have been. Which is to say, it shouldn't have swollen at all. 'Cuz knees usually aren't....

Also, hooray for a B-!! I probably should've mentioned I was going for a graceful yet powerful windswept look, which explains the hair being so odd. Thanks for the shading tips, though!

Author:   anti_righteous
Date:   Oct 15, 11 at 3:10pm (PST)
yeah, thanks for judging lizz ^^ I've busted up my hands quite a few times in my life (and one time I had to type a 5000+ word essay xP) so I can relate
And you're right about having judged something like it before. I wanted to bring this old sprite:

out of my hidious old style and into the style of 5th gen, more or less. So I took away its overshaded-ness, noodle arms, and many of my other non-5th gen quirks, and just gave it a better pose ^^

Author:   Zeezow
Date:   Oct 15, 11 at 4:28pm (PST)
hope everything is better with your hand soon! o:

Hmm... I have nothing to use in this theme, I might pop with an idea some other time though... good luck to everyone entering! :3

Hmm... can I join with a PMD sprite?

Date:   Oct 20, 11 at 8:49pm (PST)
Here's my entry:

It's based on the Rod of Asclepius, which is a medical symbol, as Asclepius was the Greek god of medicine and healing.

Author:   Lizz
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 2:43am (PST)
Since judging is suppose to be tomorrow, and we only have one entry, I'm going to pull a little theme-ity switch switch!!

New Theme: Mythology
create a sprite that somehow represents some aspect of mythology.
Judge: Electric Arcanine
Date: November Fourth

Since cjames already entered, they may keep their entry the same (because it fits ) or make something new.

Author:   Kimonio
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 3:08am (PST)
First contest for me. W00t.

Supposed to represent a griffin, only as a dark type.

(Hope it fits the theme?....)

Author:   Brodeo
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 2:27pm (PST)

Renewbis
Based off of an Anubis
99% Scratch (some colors from cofagrigus because this pokemon steals their body parts... and then wears them :3 )

Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 2:52pm (PST)
Yeah, I'll stick with mine. I'm quite lucky that it fits, actually (unless you just took the idea from it -.-).

Author:   Deoxor
Date:   Oct 29, 11 at 4:46pm (PST)
Based on my own mythology, the Deoxsword!!! Yeah, terrible, ain't it? But it's based off of a story I'm making on Powerpoint, and I found it convenient that an ancient mythological weapon for my story was the only sprite for it I had done already.

The hilt is meant to be shaped like Deoxys tentacles, with purple power gems to represent the gem in a Deoxys' chest. The rest is just a normal sword with mystical powers.

Author:   ZekromX
Date:   Oct 31, 11 at 6:15pm (PST)
I'm back!

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.