Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pokemon Black Spriting Competition | Theme: Cosplay - page 25

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49733/t1677473-pokemon-black-spriting-competition-theme-cosplay/25.htm

Author:   ElectricArcanine
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 1:59am (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon Black Spriting Competition | Theme: Cosplay
-------------------------------------------
Unless I get some end of the week homework pile, I'll be able to judge. I'm very glad at the number of entries that we have as well, it's nice to know that our contest isn't dying. Also anyone who applied for trial judging has until Monday to get it into me.
~EA~

Author:   AxeLea
Date:   Aug 26, 12 at 10:18pm (PST)
ElectricArcanine

Just reminding you that you need to do some judging here! Let me know if you can't so I can get started on it!

Author:   ElectricArcanine
Date:   Aug 27, 12 at 2:55am (PST)
Judging Time! First off, I apologise for this being late, I had a very busy weekend. Now, I am very pleased that we got more entries for this round, so let's get on with judging!
quote Kimonio

[A-]-First off, I just love the expression on this sprite, although I'm not quite sure why. This sprite is brilliantly fused: all the aspects fit together seamlessly and don't look out of place. The shading is well done on most parts, however you should have more on the buttons as right now they look flat. The main reason that you lost marks here is that despite what you said about the buttons giving an electric feel, I still think this sprite is fire/steel when I look at it. As the point of this round was to portray a certain dual type(in this case, electric/steel) you lost marks.

quote Deoxor

[C+]-First off, don;t be so hard on yourself! This entry is fine in terms off idea, however the execution really let you down. First off, the fusing here, most specifically on the head looks choppy, the parts don't blend as seamlessly as you want which gives this sprite a rough edged and half-finished look, which is not what you want with a fusion. However, the fusing with the tail is great! Secondly, the shading is all over the place. The shading on the body is the main area of concern: the shading is choppy, and since the body is round, the shading should follow this and curve around the body. Lastly, the colours really let you down in your portrayal of a water/steel type: the water type is clear to see: however due to the use of greens and purples, I think that the other type is poison which really let's down your grade. Overall, a good idea, however execution really let your grade down.

quote CJames

[B+]-First off, I love the pose that this is in! It makes me laugh every time I see it, as it looks like it's dancing. Now, the idea here is awesome, and for the most part so is the execution. However, the main things keeping you from the A-grades are the flatness of the shading on the legs, and more importantly the minimal ghost-type vibe. I can clearly see that it is grass type thanks to the greens and yellows that you used. I do get a little ghost vibe by looking at it, however I feel that it is buried by the grass vibe. To fix this I would make the yellow tufts black or dark gray or add some ghostly details. Add more ghost-type vibes, and you'll easily get into the A-grades.
quote Vast

[B-]-First off, don't be so hard on yourself! Secondly in terms off execution, the shading and fusing here is fine, and it clearly portrays a water/steel type. The main reason that you lost marks is because the theme stated that you must create a fakemon, and this sprite is too
recognisable as Tepig. For this theme, that loses you marks. Next time, try editing the body and face a bit more to make it less recognizable.

quote Shmexie_x_Deoxys

[A+]-This was by far, my favorite entry of the round. It is well designed, easily recognisable as grass/ghost and gives off a definite fakemon vibe. The shading looks fine, and the expression is great. It fits the theme perfectly, and I can't flaw it. Well done!
First:Shmexie_X_Deoxys(A+).
Second:Kimonio(A-).
Third:CJames(B+).
That's another judging done and dusted! NOTICE:Anyone who applied or wants to apply for trail judging has until next Monday at the very latest to get it into me!
New Theme:10 Pokemon+ fuse:Time for an old school round! Simply fuse at least 10 pokemon together. You must fuse at least 10 pokemon, however you can fuse more if you so please.
Due Date:3rd of September(a week from now).
Judge:Axelea or myself, depending on if I'm free or not.

~EA~

Author:   Deoxor
Date:   Aug 27, 12 at 7:09am (PST)
...this is why I kinda stopped spriting. Even when I work FOR HOURS trying to make a sprite perfect, and when I think it looks cool, and NO MATTER HOW MANY I MAKE AND PRACTICE ON, I still suck and can't get a halfway decent grade. A C+ is one of the best grades I've ever gotten in one of these contests. "Don't be so hard on myself."??? Yeah right. This was the one sprite that I have most definitely worked the absolute hardest and longest, and was the absolute proudest of. Know I see that it doesn't matter anymore how proud I am of my own creation, only how much you people think it's good. IT'S NOT EVEN GREEN IT'S REGISTEEL COLORS GOD DAMN IT.

Also, funny thing, that sprite would've worked for THIS round, too, which is another reason why I love it so much. Now it's about 5 minutes away from going into my computer's recycling bin.

..again, this is why I stopped spriting. I care too much and get over emotional and IM CRYING RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I'M A STUPID CRYBABY AND I'M NOT EVEN SAD I'M ANGRY OKAY MAYBE I'M A LITTLE SAD BUT THAT'S BECAUSE I'M A CRYBABY.

Peace Off, and have a nice day.
~DX

Author:   Shmexie_x_Deoxys
Date:   Aug 27, 12 at 12:23pm (PST)
quote Deoxor
...this is why I kinda stopped spriting. Even when I work FOR HOURS trying to make a sprite perfect, and when I think it looks cool, and NO MATTER HOW MANY I MAKE AND PRACTICE ON, I still suck and can't get a halfway decent grade. A C+ is one of the best grades I've ever gotten in one of these contests. "Don't be so hard on myself."??? Yeah right. This was the one sprite that I have most definitely worked the absolute hardest and longest, and was the absolute proudest of. Know I see that it doesn't matter anymore how proud I am of my own creation, only how much you people think it's good.
dude- it took me over 3 years of spriting to even get an A-
and when i started thinking i was good-
i lost 2 rounds in a row over in the pokemon white spriting tournament.

you just have to keep spriting. getting emotional over it is a good thing,
it means you really care about your work.
to me that says you shouldn't give up, wait until you no longer feel anything about your sprites!

if you want, i can give you some pointers over pm?

Date:   Aug 27, 12 at 2:34pm (PST)
Deoxor

I would be happy to help you as well, if you need it! Your sprites are fine there are just some things that need improvement! You have great ideas (unlike me) and can do pretty well in the execution but you just need that little extra push to get it to be great! We as judges and even people you just enter would love to give you some tutorials if you want them. Don't worry about it! As Shmexie said, it's a good thing to get passionate about your work because it means you actually care.

Author:   Brodeo
Date:   Aug 27, 12 at 8:10pm (PST)
Deoxor - everyone starts at the bottom. No one starts off being the Picasso of spriting. Everyone here started at square one. I know that I did. You are going to run into difficult times in life, and sometimes it's not how you solve those problems, but how you react to them, and build off of them. Whenever I get marked down by something, the next time i sprite, I focus mainly on those points. Even then, you'll get marked down by other errors. I do see talent in you, and im not just saying that. If i didnt mean that, i wouldnt have typed this whole thing out. Then biggest advice i can give you is to keep trying and trying and trying and trying. One day, itll just click. I really encourage you to not give up spriting, and to take that sprite out of the recycling bin, as i believe that I could be something to build upon.

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   Aug 28, 12 at 12:07pm (PST)
Deoxor

These: are some of my sprites from last year. These: are some of my sprites from this year. It takes time to improve and I did, but I`m still not as good as people like Lizz or aragornbird (ArkeisVid). So you need time to improve too.

Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 10:55am (PST)
well, to get back on topic:

its my 10+ fusion.

i had trouble matching the styles of all the different sprites i used,
but i'm just going to chalk that one up as a learning experience,

you don't realize how different every sprite is until you try to fuse that many together.

i only used sprites from black & white versions. and the colors are used from the sprites used. (as in i don't count the colors as different pokemon)
i wont say which pokemon i used until after judging, (some of them are really obvious)
but i feel like that spoils the magic.

Author:   DarkFireEternal
Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 2:24pm (PST)
So if I want to enter the contest, and the due date is "September 3rd"...is it too late to enter?
I'm not done with the sprite yet, but I am working.

(Also, I'm new to this...actually, I tried my hand at spriting a few years back and gave up on my first try, but i decided to come back, so some tips would be helpful.)

oh yes, and another question: Does the sprite need to be fused of only Unova Pokemon? Because I'm not too familiar with Unova Pokemon...but all the sprites I'm using are from the Black and White games. And there are some Unova pokemon in there.

Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 2:40pm (PST)
DarkFireEternal
Typically the judge will say when it's too late to enter. You're allowed to enter one sprite per round. It has to fit the current theme, cannot be saved in jpeg or jpg ( I always use png unless I make the background transparent) and you can use any Pokemon to make your sprites.

It's fine if you enter this round, we only have one entry so the roun will be extended.

Date:   Sep 15, 12 at 10:18pm (PST)
I'm really sorry everybody! School just started back up which I know most of you know and I have been taking some college courses that are pretty difficult! I pretty much have the hang of things, but I am really busy a lot of the time. I'm also in the band and we have games on Friday nights. Anyways, I'm thinking it's time for a theme change. I guess we will have another open round, as nobody wants to enter. Shmexie_x_Deoxys, as usual, you can change your entry if you want. DarkFireEternal, you can still enter the round if you would like. You will have until the 23rd to get your entries in. That is one week from today. So expect judging either Sunday or Monday of next week unless something happens and we can't do it. IT WILL BE JUDGED WITHIN 24-48 HOURS OF DUE DATE, NO MATTER HOW MANY ENTRIES WE HAVE.

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 1:12pm (PST)
AxeLea can i update my sprite and re-enter it?

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 4:39pm (PST)
quote Shmexie_x_Deoxys
AxeLea can i update my sprite and re-enter it?
It will count as a new entry, which is acceptable because of the theme switch. This normally wouldn't be allowed but as you were the only one who put forth the effort to make an entry, I will allow it.

Author:   DarkFireEternal
Date:   Sep 17, 12 at 3:57pm (PST)

Well, there's my very first sprite to be judged. I guess i could use some C+C. I already know the outlining's bad and it looks too much like a dressed-up Lopunny than a fusion, but you can tell me that again if you'd like.

If you want to know how I used the ten Pokemon, I used: Lopunny, Unfezant, Gardevoir for the arms, Sableye for one leg, Liepard for the other leg, Lilligant for the chest, Petilil for the skirt thing, Lucario for the ear, Delcatty for the tail and Jumpluff for the end of the tail.

I lost track on the coloring. I think it was mainly Gardevoir and Unfezant for that.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.