Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pokemon Black Spriting Competition | Theme: Cosplay - page 13

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49733/t1677473-pokemon-black-spriting-competition-theme-cosplay/13.htm

Author:   Emberguard
Date:   Jan 31, 12 at 7:37am (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon Black Spriting Competition | Theme: Cosplay
-------------------------------------------
The gastly itself has a outline, it's gas however doesn't

Author:   SpaceWalker
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 1:01am (PST)
quote ElectricArcanine
I will also be announcing the new judge. I'm halfway through right now, so It'll be up by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest .
~EA~

It's now Thursday here in England. I'm not trying to be mean, but shouldn't the judge be more active and hands on than this?

Author:   Deoxor
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 2:17am (PST)
quote SpaceWalker
It's now Thursday here in England. I'm not trying to be mean, but shouldn't the judge be more active and hands on than this?
Jeez, man, be a bit patient. It's still Wednesday where I live, it may be the same where EA is, and usually people don't complain until it's a week late or something. Often times personal life gets in the way too, judges can't devote their entire lives to Neoseeker, just like you or I can't. Thins happen, there are also different time zones to consider.

Author:   ElectricArcanine
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 8:34am (PST)
Don't worry guys. Judging is only about an hour or two away. I know I said it would be done by yesterday, but I had no time then as soon as I got home from school, I spent the rest of the day doing homework. So, sight tight, it's coming soon, .
~EA~

Author:   ElectricArcanine
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 12:25pm (PST)
Judging Time!
Theme:
quote ElectricArcanine
New theme:Open.
As I hoped, having an open round insipred a steady flow of entries, which is great. Open rounds are a good time to test out a new style of spriting, which some of you did, or just enter a sprite that wouldn't fit into any other round. We got a great number of entries this round, so, let's get to the judging!

quote CJames21

[A+]Always nice to see an entry from you. For the most part, this is a fantastic female trainer sprite. I could only find a couple of things that bothered me. Firstly, I feel like her firnge is too low for my taste. Lastly, her left hand seems too big in comparison with her arm. Apart from that, this is a fantastic female trainer, well done.

quote Lizz

[A]-It's good to see you're still around here, Lizz. At frist glance, I really like this trainer, and I still do. However, there are a couple of things that bother me. Firstly, I'm having trouble seeing her mouth, since the colour of it blends in with her face. If you use more black outline, or a darker colour shade, that'll fix it well. Secondly, because of the all black outline on the right(my right) hair curl, which gives the hair a more gloppy kind of apperence. If you add some lighter outline, that'll work just fine. Also, since her arms so small, I can't really see her fingers. It also wouldn't hurt to make a dress a little shorter so we can see her feet. Overall though, like always, great work!

quote PwnageMaster67

[A+]-This is defaintly one of my favourite sprites of yours. I like how you included a cape, it made me think of a super hereo professer. They say first impressions are nearly always right, and I think that's true. Even whwen I first saw this I thought it was fantastic, and it still is. The only thing I can find wrong is that the colour of his eye is so light, it kind of blends in to his face. Making the eye a darker shade could fix that easily. But apart from that, this sprite is flawless. Well done!

quote Hmszelda

[B]-I always enjoy seeing an entry from you. First off, I like how you went for two completely different pokemon to fuse, as it shows creativity. However, it's not without its faults. The first thing that I notice is that the left hand(my left) is kind of smothered by the head. If you move the head up more, it'll solve it. Next, there's a line where the arms join the body which shouldn't be there, as it makes it look cut off from the rest of the sprite.
The feet are also joined together at the ends, which isn't good. Apart from those faults, it's a good sprite, but lacks the wow factor to get you into the A grades.

quote anti_righteous

[A]-Your trainers always have a certain feel to them, and this one is no different. This trainer definitly potrays the cool and relaxed vibe, from his stance and black glasses. The hands look fine to be, even zoomed up. The only real thing keeping it from an A is that, even with the edits, I can still easily regonize Cilan's face, which is mostly because of his hair style. Edit the hair a little, and you'll have yourself an A+ sprite. Also, I feel priveleged to be judging one of your sprites, since you used to be a judge and all.

quote neffoneR

[B+]-I have to say, she looks very creepy in the reference picture. That aside, you've done a decent good potraying her in your trainer. However, its not without faults. Firstly, her legs bother me. I don't now if you noticed but the go from being thin near the bottom to thick near the top, which gives me an impression of a horses or goats legs, which isn't a desirable look. If you widen the legs near the bottom, that'll fix it right up. Secondly, the birhgt blue visor thingamabob that covers(or is?) her eyes. Based on the reference picture, I think it would be better if that part of her face was covered in shadow. This will add to the creepy kind of look she has, and make it so people don't think its a laser visor or something. Overall though, a good effort(and probably better than I could ever do!)

quote Shadow Wolf 10

[A+]-I'll admit, I was close to giving this an A*. I admire you sprites greatly, especially your scratch work, which never fails to impress me. This sprite makes me think "pokemon" as soon as I see it, which is good. I am a big fan of the design, and the blue and yellow colours, which work quite well together. However, I did manage to find one thing that kept it from an A*. The colour of the eyes. Being that particular shade of green, it blends in with the blue, making it a little hard to see. Changing them to a bright green or red, would work better. Overall though, it's a fantastic sprite. Your scratch work is amazing.

quote AxeLea

[B+]-I like your scratch sprites, they always have a lot of charm. I'm getting a caterpillar kind of vibe from this sprite, mostly due to the lower body, which is nice. The colours you choose work well together and don't clash, which is what you want. However, I can see some faults. Firstly, it dosen't appear to have a mouth. while this isn't exactly nessecary, it feels a little weird to see no mouth. It dosen't have to be a huge grin, just a little smile from the left side of the face would work well, and help to give it more personality, which is never a bad thing. Secondly, the shading on the red and light blue parts of the upper body look weird, in a sense. I think this is due to it been done so straight that creates this impression. Try using other pokemon for shading tips. I'm not saying that its bad, just that it looks to straight to me.

quote SpritersApprentice16

[B+]-This is a fairly decent Charizard revamp. You didn't just recolour the old sprite without changing the shading, which is great. However, its got a few problems holding it back from an A. Firstly, while you fixed up the outline, you need both dark orange and black outline, which your sprite dosen't have. It easily fixed though, just get Charizard's B/W sprite and add black outline where appropiate. Secondly, the flame on Charizards tail. You updated the colours, which is good, but its also important to update the style of it. If you look at Charizards B/W sprite, and follow how its desgined there, it'll look better and less blotchy. Lastly, you forgot to include the darker shade on Charizard's
right(my right) wing. Fix all that up, and you'll get into the A grades easily.

quote Brodeo

[A]-This sprite looks like something out of Dr.Seuss. Anyway, its a pretty great sprite, which I've come to expect from you. Your scratch work is fantastic. However, two things are bothering me and holding it back from an A+. The first is size of its feet in comparison to its body. I dont see how saw tiny feet could hold all that weight. Making the feet bigger is what you need here. Next, I feel that the left(my left) lighting bolt like thingymabob on the head should be a little thicker, it look to thin in comparision with the other right now. Fix those things up, and this is easily an A+ sprite.

quote Kimonio

[B]-This sprite definatley has a ghostly feel. It's good that you're praticing your scratch work, as, as they say, practice makes perfect. However, there's some problems that need to be adressed. First off, the shading on the ghostly body. It has too many shades and dosent really look like pokemon shading. Using another pokemon to guide tour shading should help you with that. Secondly, the body goes from thick to thin too quickly, making it look weird. Making the end a little thicker will fix that easily. Lastly, I feel that the grey colour of Duskulls face dosen't really go well with the purple of the body. I think it would look better in a red, dark brown or black colour, however this is more a matter of personal taste and dosen't really affect your overall grade. A decent effort, but the shading is what dropped your grade.

quote Vast

[B]-Slugma actually looks pretty good as a grass type. That said, this is a fairly average retype. I can see its grass type, as well as a Slugma, which is good. The small additions of Grotle's bush and Roselia's head thorns worked well for you. However, there's a few problems here. Firstly, you should recolour Grotle's bush to the same colour as the body, as right now it looks detached. Secondly, you should change the shading of the bush to make it flow with the body. Also, upon close inspection, there's one yellow pixel on the body that should be green. Apart from that though, its a decent retype. The only thing really stopping it from the A-grades is that it's missing the wow factor that A-grade sprites have.

quote Deoxor

[B+]-I must admit, Camerupt looks very cool as a ice type(did you see what I did there?) Anyway, bad puns aside, this sprite is a fairly good retype. I can see the ice type and the Camerupt, which is what you want. I LOVE how you turned the volcanoes into icicules, I think that's just awesome. The snowflakes are pretty good as well. The only thing really stopping this spirite from the A-grades is the colour scheme. While it does give off a icy kind of vibe, whenever I see it I think of water. If you change the purple colour to a light icy blue, that should solve that problem. Overall though, this is a great retype.

quote SpaceWalker

[A]-Retypes seem to be popular. This is a very good sprite for your second one! You've done a wonderful of making Gastly fire type. The only real problem that I can see is that, up close, theres some random green and blue pixels that shouldn't be there. Overall though, a fantastic retype!

First:CJames21, PwnageMaster67, Shadow Wolf 10.
Second:anti_righteous, Brodeo, Lizz, SpaceWalker.
Third:AxeLea, Deoxor, NeffoneR, SpritersApprentice16.

And, now, the moment you've all been waiting for, the announcement of the new judges! And, yes that's right judges, as in the plural. Now, usually I would only choose one new judge, but since I'm in my second last year of school, and I shall be getting a job soon, I'm going to need two other judges to help me keep this contest active. So, with further ado, the two new judges are *drumroll*...
AxeLea and Deoxor!You both showed creativity, personality, maturity and all the qualities that a good judge needs in both parts of the trail judging, and I very much look foward to working with both of you.

New Theme: Even though it's been a week since Australia day, I feel like its time for an Aussie theme. So, make a sprite to represent Australia.
Due Date:Febuary 9th
Judge:AxeLea(I think we should judge alphabetically. AxeLea, Deoxor, Me. But if you guys want to do it another way that's fine with me).
~EA~

Author:   neffoneR
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 1:56pm (PST)
Oh, ElectricArcanine, you quoted the reference image instead of the actual sprite...
Oh, and the legs are meant to look like horse legs x3 since it's the result of experimenting with people in a mental institution. There's also a guy with two heads in the video series. There's plenty of mind*bleep* with Vocaloid... Anyway, I'm really happy with the result.
And also lots of congrats to AxeLea and Deoxor for becoming sprite judges!! I look forward to your feedback in future rounds!!

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 2:30pm (PST)
Umm... My sprite has a scarf not a cape.

Author:   Hmszelda
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 2:35pm (PST)
Thanks for the B

And congrats people~!

>forgot to PM EA x3 oh wells

Author:   Vast
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 2:46pm (PST)
Me thinks there will be a lot of kangaroos. XD

Author:   SpaceWalker
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 4:20pm (PST)
quote ElectricArcanine

[A]-Retypes seem to be popular. This is a very good sprite for your second one! You've done a wonderful of making Gastly fire type. The only real problem that I can see is that, up close, theres some random green and blue pixels that shouldn't be there. Overall though, a fantastic retype!

Wow, thanks a lot! Oh, and about the random pixels - I'm colourblind which can cause me to miss them sometimes. Still, I'm very happy with the result, lookin forward to future rounds!

One question, why am I not on the scoreboard?

Author:   AxeLea
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 11:26pm (PST)
Ahhh YEA!! I'm so happy that I am one of the new judges! Congrats to Deoxor too!! Thank you Electric Arcanine for choosing me! I don't mind what order we go in! As long as it is ok with Deoxor.

Also, I am wondering the same thing as SpaceWalker?

Date:   Feb 03, 12 at 1:20am (PST)
YAAAAAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!1!!!1!

I am so excited right now! I honestly did not expect this AT ALL!

Thanks ElectricArcanine, and congrats to you as well Axelea, look forward to working with both of you in the future!

Also, this seems somewhat confusing to me:
quote ElectricArcanine

The only thing really stopping this spirite from the A-grades is the colour scheme.

So, the fact that I used purple instead of light blue means that I can't even get an A? Just seems odd to me....but who am I to question your judging? Nobody, that's who!

Author:   AxeLea
Date:   Feb 04, 12 at 9:49pm (PST)
quote Vast
Me thinks there will be a lot of kangaroos. XD
Yea that's what I am thinking too... lol And the reason I think that is because... I happen to have my entry ready which is in fact a kangaroo! lol...

I have been trying to make a kangaroo for my fakedex for quite some time and I just now got it sprited. So here is Jerbow! What do you think?

Date:   Feb 04, 12 at 11:23pm (PST)
There may not be as many kangaroo's as you'd assume....
'CUZ I GOTTA COOWALLA!!

No seriously, I named it Coowalla.

Made with very cute Unova Pokemon (except one):
Lillipup
Oshawott
Cubchoo
Emolga
Pansage (colors)
Minccino (colors)
Timburr (the only non-cute Pokemon. >=( )

Author:   Shmexie_x_Deoxys
Date:   Feb 05, 12 at 12:15am (PST)
quote Deoxor
There may not be as many kangaroo's as you'd assume....
'CUZ I GOTTA COOWALLA!!

koala bears have ears....
i think the head could be more round on the top, but otherwise this looks pretty decent, good job

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.