Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pokemon Black Spriting Competition | Theme: Cosplay - page 11

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49733/t1677473-pokemon-black-spriting-competition-theme-cosplay/11.htm

Author:   ElectricArcanine
Date:   Dec 28, 11 at 7:16am (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon Black Spriting Competition | Theme: Cosplay
-------------------------------------------
Whatever works for you is fine with me I'm halfway through judging now, so that's not far away. Also, like I said in my last post, all of you spriters who are waiting for part two of the trail judging(you all did good in part one! ) expect that soon as well
~EA~

Author:   ElectricArcanine
Date:   Dec 28, 11 at 2:54pm (PST)
Judging Time!
Theme:Theme:School Subject Pokemon.
The idea of this theme was to create a pokemon to represent a school subject. Whilist the entries were few, they were creative, which was key for this round.

quote PowerSlawe

[A-]-Funnily enough, history is one if the subjects I have next year. But enough about me, let's get on with the judging. It certainly is a statue pokemon, which is what you were aiming for. Also, the podium that it's standing on actually looks attached to the statue itself, which most fail to do when making these kinds of spriters, so good job on that. Zoroark also makes quite a good model for a statue. However, there are a few problems here that need to be fixed. Firstly, the statue's left hand(my left) there are a cluster fo stones that really look out of place. If you are going to put thing like that on a sprite, it's important to make it consitent, otherwise it looks weird and draws unwanted attention. It would look much better if you either removed it, or continued the pattern up both arms. Lastly, there are a few problems with the podium. The oultines are jagged, try smoothing those out by redrawing the lines. Overall though, a good effort and exucution of the idea, which just gets you into the A-grades.

quote Eldritch

[B+]-Welcome back to spriting! I don't think I've seen any of your work before, and this looks quite good. However, it's not without faults. I like the idea behind it, and the overall desgin is good, in terms of porportions. However, the shading is what bugs me. It looks sort of overdone, and doesn't really seem to fit into the current style of shading(gen 5). Try adapting to that style with practice, and then your shading skills will imporve(although they are good already, just ot in the right style.) I also am not a big fan of the tiny dots on the face. I'm not sure if they are menat to be eyes, or something else, but they look out of place to me. Although I'm pretty sure that's just the clash of the bright red to the green. Change the colours, and I'm sure they will look fine. The legs are very well done, as are the fnags and the eye in the middle of the body(although, it's a tad overshaded). Overall though,a nice job, you just need to work out the problems to get into the A grades.

quote Kimonio

[A+]-This was my favourite entry of the round! I love the idea of a Lotad botinist studying another pokemon. It's very creative, which was essential to exel in this round. Although, the idea of a human lotad is kind of scary. The pot and dirt that the Sunflora is sitting in(which I'm pretty sure is scratch), is well done, although the box could do with a darker shade of brown. The only real compliant I have is that the outline of Lotad's arm crosses over his eye, and his eye has no real pupil. Other than that though, a great job!

quote E4 Morty

[C+]-It's nice to see an entry from you! Don't be discouraged by the low grade. The idea is a good one that relates well to the theme, however the technical problems bring you down. But before I get to that, there's one other thing that brings your grade down, and that is that the theme called for a pokemon. And, while we all love the Earth, it isn't a pokemon. If you had added attributes, such as arms, legs or a face, then it would be more pokemon-like. I could DQ you, but I hate doing that, so instead, I lowered your grade. Now, onto the technical side of things. Firstly, there is hardly any shading, which is essentail to make the sprite look 3d and alive, as opposed to 2d and flat. The globe should be shaded, and the shading should follow the circular motion of the globe. Pokemon such as Jigglypuff, who are rounded, could help you with that. Lastly, there is only a small portion of this sprite that has coloured outline. When making a sprite, there should be an almost equal amount of both coloured and black outline. Overall, it was a good idea, but the fact that the Earth isn't a pokemon and techinical problems brought your grade down. Keep trying: practice is the only way to improve.

quote Brodeo

[A+]-Smeargle evo FTW! I LOVE this sprite. Your scratch work never ceases to amaze me. Smeargle needs an evo, and this sprite fits the bill perfectly. To get more back on the relation to the theme: it certainly embodies art, with the artist apron and it's short wiry arms, along with the artist looking cap(which is a nice touch!). I have almost no complaints with this sprite, apart from the fact that I feel that the snout is a little to long. Apart from that though, a great entry and well deserving of a A+!

quote bgg1996

[B-]-I haven't seen any of your work for a while. Welcome back! First off, I like the idea of the numbers and calculator on a maths pokemon. My one main complaint, and what brought your grade was that this looks more like a bunch of mathmatical related stuff placed together than a pokemon. The main reason for this is that, it dosen't really have a body shape. If these were arragned in a more defined shape, such as a human shape with a clear body arms etc, it would be easier to be indentified as a pokemon. Apart from that, some of the outlines on the numbers are jagged, you should smooth those out. A good effort overall, but a design flaw let you down.

quote Hmszelda

[A-]-Always nice to see an entry from you! This sprite certainly embodies music well. The ears are a good size to hear music, but could be a little bigger. I love the music notes. They are placed well on the body and at first I thought that they were scratch, it's hard to tell at first that it's Chatot's head and music note. However, a couple of things bug me. Firstly, I am not a big fan of the orange colour you used. I feel that this sprite would look better with a blue or red colour instead, the orange clashes too much with the black(in my opinion). You also have a double black outline at the end of the music notes and on the left(our left ear), which you should fix. Overall though, a nice job, with a few flaws.
Scores:
First:Kimonio, Brodeo(A+)
Second:Powerslawe, Hmszelda(A-)
Third:Eldritch(B+)
Scoreboard:

Well, there goes another round. All the spriting contests seem to be dying, but I'll do my best to keep this one alive.
New theme:Open. As I metioned, all these contests are losing activity. So, this round is an open one. Enter any spirte you wish, wether it be revamp, devamp, fusion, scratch or any other sprite besides, here's your chance to enter it!
Due Date:4th of January.
Judge:GothicUnicorn/ElectricArcanine
Also, trail judging will be sent out sometime this week. After which I shall decide on our new judge/judges.
Any questions, queries or concerns, please PM me.
~EA~
[/color]

Author:   Hmszelda
Date:   Dec 28, 11 at 3:01pm (PST)
Thanks!

BTW on powerslaves sprite I thought that "clump of rocks" was a hand... But it's hard to tell in my phone 3x

Author:   CJames
Date:   Dec 28, 11 at 10:44pm (PST)
I can has random female trainer sprite:

I'm actually happy with this, which is quite rare for me. :L

Author:   Kimonio
Date:   Dec 29, 11 at 3:03am (PST)
Woah.... A+. Not bad.

Reserving this post for anything I think up.

Author:   Lizz
Date:   Dec 29, 11 at 6:30pm (PST)
I can't resist an open round :3 It's fun to still be here.

Author:   PwnageMaster67
Date:   Dec 31, 11 at 3:51am (PST)
quote Me

I edited Prof. Juniper's sprite and turned it into this

Author:   Hmszelda
Date:   Jan 01, 12 at 8:06pm (PST)

Its a bredrill
and its a mankey
:>

Author:   anti_righteous
Date:   Jan 01, 12 at 10:26pm (PST)

I hate hands.

Author:   neffoneR
Date:   Jan 02, 12 at 5:11pm (PST)

Hatsune Miku from the Dark Woods Circus Video.

Author:   Shadow Wolf 10
Date:   Jan 02, 12 at 11:23pm (PST)

Open round, great excuse to enter new-ish sprites.
100% scratch, C&C welcome as always.

Author:   AxeLea
Date:   Jan 03, 12 at 3:38am (PST)
Here is my entry:

Cacurai ~ From my fakedex.

Author:   SpritersApprentice16
Date:   Jan 07, 12 at 2:36am (PST)
Open round, chance to try out a recent sprite!!! YAY!!!
So, there it is, my first slightly? decent revamp, if I do say so myself!

Author:   Brodeo
Date:   Jan 07, 12 at 3:50pm (PST)

Zraco
Type Dragon Electric
100% scratch

Author:   Kimonio
Date:   Jan 10, 12 at 1:00am (PST)

Thought I'd get back into my scratching.

EDIT: Doubt it'd get good ratings, but meh, won't learn what's wrong unless I try, eh?
(Even though Golurk, Duskull, and Haunter parts aren't considered scratching.)

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.