Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pokemon Black EV Training and Breeding Guides. - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49733/t1672411-pokemon-black-ev-training-breeding-guides/

Author:   Phi
Date:   Aug 16, 11 at 5:32pm (PST)
Subject:   Pokemon Black EV Training and Breeding Guides.
-------------------------------------------

As suggested by Origin, all the stickied threads are beginning to look rather unsightly and are taking up much of the front page so, this the the newly combined EV Training and Breeding Guides thread. ^^

Feel free to comment and ask questions on anything related to either guide. ^^

Date:   Aug 16, 11 at 5:34pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Pokemon Black EV Training and Breeding Guides.
Pokémon Black EV Training Guide by JesseTheKing

Introduction to Effort Values
What is EV Training?
The Benefits of EV Training
Preparation for EV Training
Getting Started
Recommended EV Training spots
Items That Affect EV Training
PokeRus and its Benefits in EV Training
Keeping Track of EVs

Introduction to Effort Values

What is EV Training?

The Benefits of EV Training

Preparation for EV Training

Getting Started

Recommended EV Training Spots

Items That Affect EV Training

PokéRus and its Benefits in EV Training

Keeping Track of EVs

If you have any more questions about EV training then you should feel free to reply to this thread and ask. If you would like to give more information or noticed I missed anything then don't hesitate to let me know. Also feel free to ask questions about recommended EV spreads for your Pokémon.

Date:   Aug 16, 11 at 5:34pm (PST)
-Ultimate Pokémon Breeding Guide by x3Starter-

Introduction
Pokémon breeding is a method of obtaining a new Pokémon by producing and hatching an egg. In the anime, it also refers to Pokémon grooming and caretaking.

Where To Breed
Pokémon can be bred by leaving two compatible Pokémon at the Pokémon Day Care
Johto-Generation II and beyond, located on Route 34 in Johto.
Hoen-Route 117 in Hoenn Four Island in the Sevii Islands
Sinnoh-Solaceon Town in Sinnoh
Unova-Route 3 in Unova.

Breeding Rate
Same species, different ID numbers
The chance of getting an egg is 69.3% (has a value of 70). The old man in the Day Care will say: "The two seem to get along very well."

The chance of getting an egg is 49.5% (has a value of 50). The old man in the Day Care will say: "The two seem to get along."

The chance of getting an egg is 49.5% (has a value of 50). The old man in the Day Care will say: "The two seem to get along."

The chance of getting an egg is 19.8% (has a value of 20). The old man in the Day Care will say: "The two don't seem to like each other."

Receiving The Egg
When there are two compatible Pokémon in the Day Care, for every 256 steps that the player takes, the game will decide whether or not the old man has found an egg, with chances depending on the exact compatibility of the two Pokémon. If there was an egg produced, the old man will be outside (Generation II), out of line with the fence (Generation III), facing the road (Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum), face left or right instead of down and call the player over the Pokégear (HeartGold and SoulSilver), or call the player from a distance when passing by on the road below (Generation V). However, in Black and White, the old man will not call out to the player if the player's party is full, even if he has found an egg. The man will hand the player an egg if he or she replies to his question with "Yes" and has an empty slot in the party, and permanently keep the egg if the player responds "No". If the player selects "Yes" but does not have a spare slot, the man will keep it until the player returns and offer it again. Otherwise, there is no way to refuse the egg and receive it later.

What Will Hatch?
After walking around for a while, the egg will hatch into a level 5 (Generation II and III) or level 1 (Generation IV and V) first-stage Pokémon of the female species' (or non-Ditto parent's) evolutionary chain.

Shiny Breeding Process
Generation II
In Generation II, a player can breed for "Shininess." Due to the method the Generation II games use for calculating whether a Pokémon is Shiny or not, an egg bred from an alternately-colored Pokémon has a chance as high as 1/64 of being alternately colored itself, but only if the offspring is of the opposite gender as the Shiny parent. This does not apply in later games, however.

Generation III
In Generation III, a bred Pokémon has the same chance of being Shiny as any Pokémon met in the wild.

Generation IV
In Generation IV, a new mechanic was added to breeding: there is now an increased chance (1/2048 as opposed to 1/8192) of hatching a Shiny Pokémon when both parents are from different language games. This is due to special coding written into the game by director Junichi Masuda. Aside from this addition, the means of breeding for Shininess are otherwise unchanged.

Generation V
In Generation V, the odds of the Masuda method's success rate increased from 1/2048 to 1/1366.

Breeding Groups(Exclude:Legendary Pokemon That Can't Breed)
Legendary Pokemon that cannot breed:

The Monster Group:

The Dragon Group:

The Ground Group:

Water Group 1:

Water Group 2:

Water Group 3:

The Flying Group:

The Bug Group:

The Plant Group:

The Fairy Group:

The Humanshape Group:

The Indeterminate Group:

The Mineral Group:

The Genderless Group (can only breed with Ditto):

Magma Armor and Flame Body
Info:If a Pokemon with the abilities Magma Armor or Flame Body are at the front of your party, they will cut in half the amount of steps needed to hatch an egg.

Here is the list Of Pokemon With Flame Body & Magma Armor, and how to acquire them.
Black and White
Litwick / Lampent / Chandelure - All wild Litwicks have a 50% chance of having Flame Body. You can find wild Litwicks in the Celestial Tower.
Larvesta / Volcarona- All wild Larvesta and Volcanora will have Flame Body. You acquire a Larvesta egg for free in Route 18, and a level 70 Volcarona can be found at the bottom of the Relic Castle.

White Only
Magby / Magmar / Magmortar - Magby and it's evolution lines will always have Flame Body unless caught in the Dream World. You can find Magby in White Forest.

Other Games (neither Black nor White)
Slugma / Magcargo - All Slugma and Magcargo caught in the wild will have either Flame Body or Magma Armor. Wild Slugma and Magcargo can be found in Stark Mountain in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. Wild Slugma can be found in Routes 16, 17, and 18 in HeartGold and SoulSilver.
Camerupt - Wild Camerupt have a 50% chance of having Magma Armor. They can be found in Route 227 and Stark Mountain in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. It's pre-evolution Numel will have Magma Armor if it's ability is Oblivious and it evolves into Camerupt. Numel can be found in Route 227 and Stark Mountain in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, and Ilex Forest and Viridian Forest (using Hoenn Sound) in HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Dream World
Ponyta / Rapidash - Ponyta and Rapidash with Flame Body can be acquired in the Dream World. Ponyta and Rapidash normally do not have this ability.
Moltres - Moltres acquired in the Dream World can have Flame Body. Moltres normally does not have this ability.
Heatran - Heatran acquired in the Dream World can have Flame Body. Heatran normally does not have this ability.

Ditto

Synchronizers
If you want to capture a Ditto with a specific Nature, it's a very good idea to use a Synchronizer. When you enter a Wild Pokemon battle, Wild Pokemon have a 50% chance of being the same nature as your Lead Pokemon if your lead has the ability Synchronize.

There are several Pokemon with the ability Synchronize. The full list includes:

-Abra
-Kadabra
-Alakazam
-Mew
-Natu
-Xatu
-Espeon
-Umbreon
-Ralts
-Kirlia
-Gardevoir
-Munna
-Musharna
-Elgyem
-Beheeyem

In Pokemon Black and White, Munna and Musharna can be found in the Dreamyard, and Elgyem and Beheeyem can be found in the Celestial Tower and Route 14, respectively. Wild Munna and Musharna that don't have Synchronize will instead have Forewarn, which means they aren't worth your time capturing. Wild Elgyem are very common on the roof of the Celestial Tower. Beheeyem can be found on Route 14, but aren't very common.

Pokemon White players also have access to wild Abra and Ralts in the White Forest, however they are extremely rare compared to Munna, Musharna, and Elgyem.

If you have access to HeartGold and SoulSilver, you can buy Abra from the Goldenrod City Game Corner, as well as find wild Abras all over Johto and Kanto. Natu are very commonly found in the Ruins of Alph, Route 28, and if you headbutt trees on Mt. Silver. Ralts will also occasionally swarm on Route 34.

If you have access to Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, wild Natu will occasionally swarm Route 224. Wild Abra and Kadabra can be found on Route 215.

Everstone
What it does:
An Everstone provides a 50% chance of passing down the parent's Nature to the offspring.

If both parents equip an Everstone, there is a chance that either parent's Nature will be passed down (percentage unknown).
Where to Acquire:
You can acquire an Everstone from a man in the Castelia City Pokemon Center after trading 10 Pokemon with other players. Wild Roggenrola also have a 50% chance of holding one; they are found in Wellspring Cave. Lastly, dust clouds in caves will sometimes (but rarely) contain an Everstone.

Power Items
Power items force the appropriate IV of the parent to be passed down. The remaining two IVs are picked at random. If both parents wear a power item, then only one parent's appropriate IV will be passed down, and the other parent's appropriate IV will NOT be passed down (IE: if you have a male wearing a Power Bracer and a female wearing a Power Anklet, you have a 50% chance of passing down the male's Attack IV and NOT the female's Speed IV, and a 50% chance of passing down the female's Speed IV and NOT the male's Attack IV).

With one parent wearing a Power item, mathematically you have these probabilities:

-1 in 6.25 chance of passing down any 2 remaining desired IVs.
-1 in 25 chance of passing down any 2 remaining desired IVs from the same parent.

Nature Inheritance
With the Everstone equipped, you have a 50% chance of passing down the holder's Nature. It does not matter which parent is holding the Everstone. However you should know that passing down Nature will not work if both parents are from different real-world language regions (ie: one parent is from an English-language country, and another parent is from a French-language country).

Dream World Ability Inheritance
Female parents with a Dream World Ability have a 40% chance of passing down their Dream World Ability to their offspring if both parents are the same species. Which means that female-only species and genderless species cannot pass down their Dream World Abilities.

Egg Moves

IV Inheritance:

Hatching
Different Pokemon require a different number of steps to hatch. Below is a table showing an approximate value for how many steps is required to hatch each Pokemon. If you have a Pokemon with the ability Flame Body or Magma Armor in your party, then the number of steps required is halved.

Credits:
-Me
-Bulbapedia
-Psypoke
-Smogon

Guide:
Easier Breeding Guide By Newgaly
Easier Guide By Newgaly

Author:   JesseTheKing
Date:   Aug 16, 11 at 11:08pm (PST)
Disillusioned If I need to edit anything on that guide for any reason in the future, I'll let you know.

Author:   Dongha99
Date:   Jan 10, 12 at 11:47pm (PST)
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I REALLY NEEDED THIS!!!!

Author:   sunburn2224
Date:   Jun 14, 12 at 4:36am (PST)

Author:   magicfox12
Date:   Jun 21, 12 at 8:29am (PST)
Phi Jessetheking
Is there a better pokemon to fight for special defense?
Also, what are the best pokemon to train in each stat, I'm currently training an Excadrill for attack, but what about the other stats?

Date:   Jun 21, 12 at 4:16pm (PST)
quote magicfox12
Phi Jessetheking
Is there a better pokemon to fight for special defense?
Also, what are the best pokemon to train in each stat, I'm currently training an Excadrill for attack, but what about the other stats?
Surfing for Frillish is your best option for EV training in Special Defense since it has a 100% appearance rate and you can just keep your flow going. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else.

As for Excadrill, you want to do 4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed.

Date:   Jun 22, 12 at 12:11am (PST)
JesseTheKing Phi
Thanks a lot but I need some help:
I'm on route 1 killing patrats and lillipups with my level 38 excadrill, checking its attack stat after every 4 battles but its not going up at that rate, and its holding a power bracer. Whats happening?

Date:   Jun 22, 12 at 8:55am (PST)
quote magicfox12
JesseTheKing Phi
I'm on route 1 killing patrats and lillipups with my level 38 excadrill, checking its attack stat after every 4 battles but its not going up at that rate, and its holding a power bracer. Whats happening?
It could be possible that you are already full on attack EVs or you are full on EVs in general. Have you been keeping a close eye on your EV count? Remember, if it's holding a Power Bracer then you gain 10 EVs per battle.

Date:   Jun 22, 12 at 9:31am (PST)
quote JesseTheKing
quote magicfox12
JesseTheKing Phi
It could be possible that you are already full on attack EVs or you are full on EVs in general. Have you been keeping a close eye on your EV count? Remember, if it's holding a Power Bracer then you gain 10 EVs per battle.

Don't get me wrong, it's working. Excadrills attack is way higher than its other stats, it's just not going up as much as it should, it's steadily increasing.

Date:   Jun 22, 12 at 9:35am (PST)
quote magicfox12
quote JesseTheKing
quote magicfox12
JesseTheKing Phi

Don't get me wrong, it's working. Excadrills attack is way higher than its other stats, it's just not going up as much as it should, it's steadily increasing.[/div]
Well don't worry, by level 100 all of the stat changes will be what they should be. As it levels up, the increase in attack isn't linear so to say. It will gradually go up as it increases level but won't be consistent. But it'll get where it needs to be.

Date:   Jun 22, 12 at 10:57am (PST)
JesseTheKing
Cool thanks. Its attack is higher than its HP at the minute.
What Pokemon do you recommend for maxing out special defense and speed?

Date:   Jun 22, 12 at 11:03am (PST)
quote magicfox12
JesseTheKing
Why Special Defense and Speed exactly? Usually when you want to max out with speed, it's usually accompanied by Attack or Special Attack. You want your sweepers to be as fast as possible given the circumstances. I can't think of any Pokemon you would really want to max out on Special Defense and Speed. For one thing, walls don't have to necessarily be fast because of their bulkiness(which means they can take multiple hits). Secondly when maxing out Special Defense, it's good to either also max out on Defense, or just balance out your EVs altogether; it really just depends on the Pokemon.

Date:   Jun 22, 12 at 11:17am (PST)
quote JesseTheKing
quote magicfox12
JesseTheKing
Why Special Defense and Speed exactly? Usually when you want to max out with speed, it's usually accompanied by Attack or Special Attack. You want your sweepers to be as fast as possible given the circumstances. I can't think of any Pokemon you would really want to max out on Special Defense and Speed. For one thing, walls don't have to necessarily be fast because of their bulkiness(which means they can take multiple hits). Secondly when maxing out Special Defense, it's good to either also max out on Defense, or just balance out your EVs altogether; it really just depends on the Pokemon.

Sorry, I meant to specify that I'm building a team of maxed out stats. ie: 1 pokemon with maxed attack, 1 with full defence 1 with full special defence etc. So yeah a full EV trained gen V team so I was asking for speed and special defence to be 2 different pokemon I could train. In the end I will have 6. So, which is the best pokemon to max out speed for and which is the best for me to use as my special defence beast?
I already have Excadrill for attack.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.