Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Best Pokemon Starter???? - page 5

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49733/t1625876-best-pokemon-starter/5.htm

Author:   Insanity Prevails
Date:   Jun 19, 12 at 12:36am (PST)
Subject:   re: Best Pokemon Starter????
-------------------------------------------
quote thisotherguy
tepig: offensive
oshowott: defensive
snivy: all-rounder
you guys complicate things to much
If anything I would have though Snivy would be the defensive pokemon. Its strengths lie in its speed and defence stats and access to moves like Giga Drain, Leech Seed and Synthesis.

Oshawott's more inclined to the offensive side. Not as much as Tepig but its attack stats definitely show off more than its defence stats.

Author:   Nagato
Date:   Jun 19, 12 at 5:10am (PST)
I use either Oshawatt or Snivy.

Author:   Pokemon Master No.1
Date:   Jun 19, 12 at 9:14am (PST)
SUCKY, SMELLY SNIVY! They look cool but are super weak they couldn't beat a lv1 magikarp!

TOO HOT FOR THE SUN TEPIG! He evolves into a strong pig known as pignite and then a fearsome emboar!

OH SO COOL OSHAWOTT! He's so cute that trainers wouldn't dare hurt a cute little fella like oshawott and a powerful sharp blade and samurott coul beat emboar and serperior at once with a tiny sea shell eat that sucky snivy and a little bit cool tepig!

Author:   A-kegegitsune99
Date:   Jun 23, 12 at 1:31pm (PST)
Ok, so there is NO perfect starter, there is the matter of personal choice. as well as the type of gym leaders and statisitics. fire types have an advantage over many types and there isnt a type immune to fire types, but fire types grow quickly and are weak to water and dragons.. but often post-evolutionary forms may be combined with another type weakening the pokemon. like fighting types. Charizards were fire/flying. and most others were fire/fighting. Fire types are offensive pokemon who are better for battle. Grass type pokemon are not the strongest of the trio but with good defenses and stats the few strong offensive moves are quite effective. while grass do not grow just as quickly they are strong and are weak to flying, bug, and fire pokemon, they are quite effective against water, ground, rock, and can damage most other pokemon easily. Water pokemon are balanced in stats normally and usually offensive but can also have good defences. the offensive power still towers over the defensive power they hold. Water types are weak to grass and electric pokemon they are quite effective when facing a fire, rock, or ground type and most others still damage easily. they along with grass types do not normally have a secondary type but are still quite strong and can learn moves not associated with their type. water types grow quickly and have a strong selection of offensive moves though they have less defensive power and moves. In the end though, you will most likely have a fire grass and water type anyways so just pick the one you like best and if you dont like your starter just restart.

Author:   sampunas123
Date:   Jun 24, 12 at 8:52am (PST)
It really depends on your team although I don't recommend you taking Tepig because Darmanitan can do the job better. You can choose Serperior if you want stalling with it's Leech Seed and Synthesis or you can choose Oshawott who's got balanced stats and a fine moveset too. I played through the game multiple times and Oshawott was probably the best out of all 3.

Author:   Collin124
Date:   Aug 09, 12 at 8:50pm (PST)
I choose snivy because he can help you finish the elite 4 in black
sometimes...

Author:   The4thFang
Date:   Aug 10, 12 at 5:19pm (PST)
quote A-kegegitsune99
but fire types grow quickly and are weak to water and dragons..
Fire types do not grow quicker than any other type, unless of course they have been traded over. They recieve no exp bonuses. Also, they are not weak to dragon type, and water is not the extent of their weaknesses. They are also weak to rock and ground.

quote A-kegegitsune99
may be combined with another type weakening the pokemon
Not true. That is mostly conjecture and opinion. For example: While adding fighting gives a weakness to flying and psychic, you also gain an advantage to rock, steel, and ice.

quote A-kegegitsune99
Fire types are offensive pokemon who are better for battle
Again, Opinion.

quote A-kegegitsune99
Water pokemon are balanced in stats normally and usually offensive but can also have good defences
THAT wasn't vague or contradictory...

quote A-kegegitsune99
they along with grass types do not normally have a secondary type
Plenty of grass and water types have secondary types. No more than fire, anyway. I direct you to look at venusaur, swampert, empoleon, or torterra. If we're just looking at starters, then that really isn't representative, considering Nintendo got a fighting type fetish the last few years.

quote A-kegegitsune99
and can learn moves not associated with their type
every pokemon can learn moves outside of its own types, you can't just generalize when there are hundreds of examples of different pokemon.

Author:   wa0153w11
Date:   Sep 02, 12 at 10:08am (PST)
my name is wahab I agree all the starter pokemon are a balance but I will go with oshawott or tepig because let's start the reason with oshowott when he evolves into Samurott water type for tepig and ice type for snivy but tepig gets more easier fire type for snivy and fighting type for oshawott but snivy only grass type for oshawott which makes you in trouble with tepig hope it helped.

Author:   michael weems std VA
Date:   Sep 02, 12 at 11:26am (PST)
snivy is the best starter i would say if u have a volcarna and kyrem. the first time though i beat the game with snivy but u have to level him up or he will b kinda bad. bit hes alright.[link name=][/link]

Author:   RegalBryant
Date:   Sep 05, 12 at 5:51am (PST)
quote The4thFang
Plenty of grass and water types have secondary types. No more than fire, anyway. I direct you to look at venusaur, swampert, empoleon, or torterra. If we're just looking at starters, then that really isn't representative, considering Nintendo got a fighting type fetish the last few years.

every pokemon can learn moves outside of its own types, you can't just generalize when there are hundreds of examples of different pokemon.
What does the title "Best Pokemon Starter????" mean to you?

Author:   kdog
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 6:52pm (PST)
It is my belief that if you truely care about starter pokemon you should do indept research about each before making the final desision

Author:   lv.100
Date:   Oct 24, 12 at 2:54pm (PST)
Tepig he can evolve into emboar which will defeat serperior and samurott water with fighting and grass with fire

Author:   Phi
Date:   Oct 27, 12 at 5:44am (PST)
    Or just pick the one you like because it's only a game?

Author:   thundermaniac
Date:   Oct 27, 12 at 7:43pm (PST)
Emboar outspeeds Samurott. Do your research. If both had max IV's and EV's in speed. Samurott would outspeed Emboar. Emboar won't be laughing after taking a stab Surf or Waterfall.
-To whomever stated that Emboar is faster.

Competitive stand point: Snivy. Faster than all of them. Has good defenses. Can hinder an opponent with Leech Seed, Wrap, Toxic, and Dragon Tail. Has access to recovery moves. DW ability would make it even better.

Personally: Oshawott. I like his up-beat attitude and power. Comes through for me in a tight pinch with Aquajet. Samurott is just awesome.

Tepig is just, well, not my favorite. Has the moves and power, but speed is my favorite stat. I don't like the Fire/Fighting typing either.

Author:   TranquilChaos
Date:   Oct 28, 12 at 8:49am (PST)
this is all fine and dandy, but in my experience, almost nobody uses starters or their evolutions in postgame play. I'm acquiring black 2 today, I didn't get black or white 1, and the real reason one would want to know who the best starter is would be based on their movesets, their gym advantages (which gyms would you have an easy or tough time with depending upon the starter) and their play style. As far as i understand it from this thread, Snivy has a defensive play style, Tepig is the offensive fire/fighting type we've seen before, and the other one (I can't spell that) is the pretty balanced water starter we've also seen before. Unfortunately, Snivy looks far cooler. So I'm probably going to pick that one. What I do is trade in 1-2 lvl. 1s that I like, in this case Absol and Ralts. so with that team, I think i can make up for Snivy's defensive style.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.